Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I disagree about Hulswit's looks. I thought he developed into a very warm, cute and cuddly daddy figure, perfect for the role of the new Bauer patriarch on TGL. Peter Simon was a good actor, but did not project the same warmth and paternalism. As for Richard Van Fleet in the role...um, just no.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My personal feeling is that either CBS or P&G didn't want him around and didn't want the Bauers to be prominent. So many of the Bauers who were axed in 1983-84 (Hope, Hillary, and Mike) had plenty of story left in them yet they were pushed aside. At least we saw Mike for a few episodes in 1997. We never saw Hope after her abrupt departure in late 1983. Their de-emphasis reminded me very much of what Another World did with the Matthews family.

Edited by robbwolff

• Members

LOL..I always though MH was kind of sexy for a normal dad kind of guy. I wish they had kept him. PS was an appropriate Ed in that he played him as weak and edgy but he never had any warmth and after Mo died it just didn't work for him to be a tentpole figure. However, his return under Taggert was really good. They used him as a Judge Lowell figure and PS played him as an older wiser, Ed. It was a nice change (and who couldnt love him threatening Carmen and her being afraid...) I remember a scene he had with Zimmer and she was doing all her tricks and PS quietly didnt let her steal the scene and she brought it down to HIS level and it was a really good scene..reminded me that Zimmer could be great when she wasnt playing to the rafters. PS brought a quiet authority to Ed which the show needed at that time. Then it all went to hell with Conboy and Westen and Ed became a drunk and smacked Chelle, and PS said shove it to their offer to be recurring.