GH: September Discussion

• Members

Ann I was unaware the carnival was panned. Who panned it. I actually thought the 2 or 3 days of it were not bad and the only thing I have enjoyed on GH in months was the stuff with Sonny, Alexis and the Q's following the carnival. Lots of family stuff no? I have to believe they were disappointed in it(GH) because the promoted the thing everywhere and got only a slight ratings bump.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe I found fellow Shannis fans in a GH thread! Who knew? :) My avatar is from one of my favorite storylines for them -- their wedding where good old Dirty Den's corpse was dug up by a drunken Sam. How romantic LOL!

Ann, I also was an irrational Shannis fan. I think I still am. They had so many memorable scenes -- I loved, loved Dennis' confession that he murdered Jack Dalton. The way Nigel delivered his lines . . . "I'm a murderer darling." OMG! And yes, Nigel is FIT! And Leticia's reaction. I'd never seen anything so raw on a soap before. And then there was the "That Night" episode when Sharon and Dennis had their first huge row that of course ended with them in the sack. Sarah Phelps wrote the dialogue in that episode -- it was magnificent. But I could blather on and on about Shannis. When Dennis met his end, I cried buckets. I cried buckets during the scene CarlD2 referred to, when Sharon dug into her face at Dennis' grave side. I cried buckets when she screamed to Phil, "How am I going to live?!" Leticia sometimes could be over the top, but I adore her. And no one else on soaps has caused me to "boo hoo" as much as her. OK, I'll stop.

I loved Shannis. Can you tell? :)

Back to GH. You know, I read all of the criticism of the show, how the carnival was a failure, etc. But I have to be honest, in the weeks that I've been watching, overall, I've been entertained. Strange but true. I think when a person starts a new soap, there's this honeymoon stage. You're getting to know the new soap, trying to figure out who's who, everything is new. GH is new to me even though I watched it years ago.

I loved the carnival for the most part. I thought the writing was pretty tight. And compared to what I had been watching before, it was a relief. And surprisingly, please don't gag, but I really enjoyed Spinelli and Maxie's "non wedding." I am at heart a sappy soap opera viewer and I have to say GH supplied the romantic sap these past few episodes. I won't go into detail because I'm certain everything that I liked will gross everyone out. But I will say that I was for the first time impressed by the actor who plays Spinelli. He seemed genuine in the past few episodes -- someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. And whoever wrote the dialogue in the past two episodes -- they did a great job. The wedding vows were well written.

That's why I say GH is a mixed bag. Sometimes it is boring, but so is the other soap that I used to watch. But when GH is good, I mean, it's damned good. Such a strange soap. The cast is pretty good, some weak ones, but I've found many actors that I really like. I truly enjoy the actor who plays Dominic/Dante.

Then again, it might be that "honeymoon" thing going on. :)

• Members

I was so very, very sad when Youtube took down the EE account that had all those WONDERFUL Shannis and clips of Sharon's history. Sharon helped build EE and I hate that viewers may forget her since she's been away a few years. Can anyone ask a moderator about having a thread in Foreign soaps or is that just under the EE thread?

As for the show, it's nice to see more of Mac again. Always one of my favorites. I don't want to jinx him by praising him anymore...

• Members

I don't know what EE was thinking having YT take down the bulk of the Shannis clips. There are still a few here and there.

Either SOD or SOW mag panned it. I didn't see it myself.

KSlater, any BA/Spinelli praise grosses me out so I'm glad that you didn't go into detail. Blech. I am pretending the non-wedding episodes never happened.

• Members

There was a person who had all of the Shannis episodes posted. But when the BBC started their YouTube channel, they pretty much cleaned out all of the EE episodes that weren't authorized - copyright infringement. They have a few Shannis clips, but it's not a whole lot.

I'll never mention BA or Spinelli again. Promise.

• Members

And the BBC channel doesn't have a fraction of that stuff, which was so detailed and made such care, and did more to get people interested in EE than a lot of what the show has done the past few years. I still miss those Sharon clips, they were so incredibly done. And all those wonderful clips by Endersfan.

I was watching some Youtube clips of 1994 GH and Felicia was pregnant with Georgie. She was realizing she was going to have a baby girl, based on her wanting yams. I was never a huge huge fan of Georgie but I still can't believe they killed her.

• Members

My favorite Shannis moments: Sharon and Dennis' first time, so intense. Dennis' murder confession, Dennis comes to his senses, leaves Zoe and goes back to Sharon, Dennis' unconventional proposal, "besides I fancy having a missus, I fancy my missus, marry me" *yes, I have it memorized LOL!), and Sharon comforts Dennis after Den's death, telling him that you mourn for yourself, what you have loss.

Don't promise. You have to give all your opinions. Good nature bickering is most of the fun. Besides if you don't fawn over BA/Spinelli, how else can I have an excuse to say that Spinelli is a fugly annoying foolish character that should never be a leading man. Okay, so I don't need an excuse. LOL!

• Members

Guza is a dumbass. I'll never understand why he is compelled to kill off legacy characters. What possesses him to kill Felicia and Frisco's daughter? Send her away to college with Dillon. Why kill of Emily? Send her to do a residency in Seattle. Aaaargh, this infuriating man.

• Members

LMAO! I try to control myself from fawning.

I memorized the proposal too. I think what I loved the most about them as a couple other than the chemistry was that the writers never compromised the characters in order to make their coupling work. I wish there was an American soap opera that could do the same thing, keep characters consistent even if they fall in love. But it doesn't seem that any US writer knows how to do that.

• Members

Today was another funny episode. Once again JJY was the standout, but the final scene with the entire group singing and Jason standing in the middle there like Lurch was just funny. The cast had to laugh taping that and you could see JJY acting like a drunk fool in the same frame Steve Burton has to stand there as awkward as it can possibly get.

• Members

OMG, there are Shannis fans here on SON? LOL! Now there was a soap supercouple! That... "first time" (I blush to write it that way but... wow. Intense is the right word). After, when she walks to the club with him, they're all shy and tongue-tied after what happened, so he takes her hand instead. Then she sees another couple walking towarsds them and pulls away. And when she sees Den for the first time, minutes later, and those emotions run over her face, like "OMG, what have I done?" And Den thinks Dennis is just some random boyfriend and tells him to get lost. The look on Dennis's face! Damn. They were made of awesome.

Back to GH! I cannot even deal with these Spixie-heavy episodes lately. Though I will say one thing, Spinelli in Maxie's dream was more digestible (and spoke slightly more normally) than the Spinelli GH writes for at the moment. Just sayin'.

• Members
there have been a few highlights...

-mac&maxie before he walked her down the isle

-maxie/lulu "if not now, then when?"

-maxie & Jason in general.

-Jason in a pink tie.

-robin/maxie moments

-mac/patrick moments

and the best of all - maxie talking about Felicia.

then there was... well you know, everything else. that all sucked.

• Members

LOL! When are we going to quit this b!tch for good, jp?

I gotta say, it is cool seeing Mac involved in Maxie's life (Maxie-Mac-Robin-Patrick are GOLD), and Steve Burton does po-faced comedy really well. I think this is what stops Jason from being as widely-hated a character as Sonny, even though he is just as (if not more) over-exposed.

however, the central problem I have is with the Spixie "romance" as a whole. I don't buy it. Sure, I buy that the actors love working together. I buy that Maxie and Spinelli are BFF who would lay down their lives for each other. I even buy that Spinelli has a mad crush in Maximista. But a bodily, man-woman supercouple-in-the-making relationship? No.

Johnny & Maxie, on the other hand? They may not be BFF like Spixie, but the physical attraction was palpable.

Archived