GH: September Discussion

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stephan martinez was ok, but i was so happy Tyler came back.

SM/CS was awful on GL too.

Im just happy i finally have Nik/Liz. Since like 99 i have wanted from Nik/Liz or Liz/Jason, so after being screwed over on Liz/Jason im happy with this. The story seems to be turning around too because when it started i liked it just because i was a fanboy, but then looking at it, it was awful. Then a few weeks ago it was like they added some depth to it.

• Administrator

I know. :( This is one of the reasons why Guza sucks as a HW.

Becky was best with Jonathan Jackson and Rick Hearst. Becky is one of my favorite actresses on GH and I hate it with she's paired with Steve Burton. And now she's in another horrible pairing with Tyler.

• Members

Well I will have to disagree about Becky NOT being a chemistry magnet, she wouldn't have had so many popular pairings if she weren't ;)

Eh I really don't care about Lucky, and haven't since JJ was in the role. This character doesn't even feel like Lucky, they should have killed him off when JJ left.

• Members

I don't see how online buzz equates to a popular pairing. Liason was popular? Like Soily was with their fanbase. And Niz is popular? Out of the pairings mentioned, Liason was popular with her and Steve's fanbase not the general audience. It was the story and when you destroy 3 popular pairings(ll2, Jasam, and Rexis) to build another, you're not going to get a whole lot of general audience support. Sonny and Emily were popular with Sonny and Emily fans the same and no one else.

And sorry I see the same with Nik and Liz. Support from their fans and not the general audience. I wonder how they are going to fare once they make Natalia Livingston's character emily or more Emily like(Natalia at the emmys was back to a brunette with longer hair) and have Nikolas detroying her or showing Lucky again getting dumped on for the what, 20th time, by Liz. I wonder really why they can't come up with a better story for Liz than again dumping on Lucky. I'm no fan, but Bob Guza really is stuck on rinse and repeat with stories for his female acting talent. There were a ton of ways to do Nik and Liz to gain general audience rootability why they chose this boggles my mind.

Sorry IA Lucky and Liz to me was her only really popular pairing due to their story and history. Maybe Liz and Ric, but I'll give RiH credit for that. He made Claudia look good.

I know there are Becky fans here fine I just don't see all her "popular pairings". She's been with GH for 13 years and her really only big success was LL2 with JJ. That's the only pairing she's had that's popularity went beyond Becky or Jonathan fans to the general audience.

I don't think GH has done a good job of selling any recent pairings to more than their immediate fanbases as they had in the past. While I didn't care for many of them, I do think Jasam, LL2, Nem, Rexis all had general audience appeal. Scrubs may be the last one on show that fits this mold and the show doesn't write well for them.

• Members

When I think of a soap couple or cover as popular, I think of covers of soap mags and articles in those mags. Online fan bases are noisey, but their numbers are usually tiny. I may hate Sonny and Jason, but I know they are popular because they are always on the covers of soap mags.

Becky has had longevity on GH which is no small thing considering that she is not a pet, but her pairing with Lucky (Jonathan Jackson) is the only one that made the soap covers and got lots of offline soap media attention. This is not bad in my eyes. Look at Maurice Benard, he has been on GH for 16 years, has been given numerous love interests and has only had 2 popular pairings, Brenda and Carly.

• Members

No I think that's correct and I won't pick on Becky I just tire of the "She's a chem magnet" and "She's had so many popular pairings" comments. I don't think she's fared or done any better than anyone else. But in all fairness, the only characters at GH who get soap covers in recent years seem to be Steve and Mo and their love interests. I think there was a time the show pushed Nik and Emily heavily and they got a lot of covers and of course Jasam always did but then of course aside from Liason, all of Jason's pairings have. Scrubs have gotten a few but that's very few.

• Members

IMO, those soap covers and articles are the only evidence of popularity beyond the online fanbase. Everything else is opinion, online buzz and vocal fanbases. Coverage in the soap mags reflects the couples that the show is pushing, it also reflects what characters, couples and stories that the soap mags' sale numbers show that wider soap audience actually like and yes, they like Sonny and Jason mostly. Guza has never pushed or written well for Patrick and Robin, yet then have gotten a few covers here and there as well as quite a few articles inside the mags which suggests to me that they have some degree of popularity beyond their online fans.

• Members

I would not even count soap mags anymore as the "great determinant" of what is popular. Because the mags now must kiss the asses of the networks and execs they once - very well and thoughtfully - critiqued. Probably why the mags, like the soaps they cover, are in deep trouble.

So whatever person/people who are covered and are ON the cover - and it is down to a core few - are pushed by the bigwigs.

In reality, I don't think there IS a bonafide way to glean popularity beyond fanbases. Go door to door? Polls? Well, door to door is out, and polls are worthless thanks to robovoting and the other fact that casual fans don't care enough TO vote.

As an example of the discussion, I am a Scrubs fan (I know, how obvious). But I cannot say they have wide appeal, because there's no way to know. That said, they got a cover for Emma's birth, their wedding (the completed one, but a write up for #1, too, if I recall), and the ridiculous crap with Jerry and Nik when Robin had to pretend to have fallen for Nik.

Do covers make them more widespread and popular? Doubt it: The network wanted it promoted, more likely. But MAYBE - for Scrubs, Liz, or anyone else - the fact that there did end up more than one cover or story highlighted meant the average person cared enough to buy it, so the next cover came about.

Very much "chicken or the egg".

Overall, though, GH is dying. The mob is suffocating it and all that remains are Sonny, Jason, and their hangers on.

And everyone else fights for scraps and are -arguably - more talented. And it's sad, but a fact of GH life.

Archived