Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of August 24

• Members

I have nothing to add.

I had such hopes for the cancer story (giving us some relatable, human drama). But every time I freeze frame Khalil, she's grinning with bliss.

I actually didn't mind the Ashley-Adam-Jack-Victor stuff, per se, but I keep losing the threads. Why is Adam doing this? Why is Ashley so unhinged? I did love Jack's dialogue, though. "You look like you've been living on tea and nightmares".

I did not understand the Phyllis visit to Sharon. All I could think of was Jack's line, about whenver her life is going well, "You keep getting in your own way, sweetheart". I felt Sharon and Phyllis were playing chess with one another, so I didn't understand how Sharon could thank her for that visit. Weird. And then the whole point was just so that Phyllis would question Sharon about Jack's lack of visits? When the writing is stupid (as this piece was), Stafford doesn't even TRY. It was PURE line readings, nothing more.

I continue to think Noah is the salvation. Too bad I think Kevin Schmidt will be moving on to bigger and better things soon. He is so natural.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Noah did get bigger stories it would be Scooby stuff. Or a bad retread of the stories Billy had at that age. Noah saves Eden from grifters. Noah drugged by a young version of your fave character, Brittany.

Adam is a plot device for a story with no discernible plot. And he is the most BORING psycho ever. I was watching an old ATWT Youtube from 1988 where a psycho babysitter was obsessed with Bob, she was this blowsy middle-aged woman rubbing herself with scissors and droning her dialogue, and even she was more exciting.

• Members

Lily and Cain are puke worthy. I am so sick of them.

Ashley is just stupid beyond words and so is Victor. Adam should just die a painfull death. No use for the character anymore. He has been totally ruined by the writers of the show. I dont care what or who he does it to anymore.

• Members

I have to say, I thought Muhney was going to be good at first. But as time wears on, he's impressing me less and less. the main thing Engen brought to the role that Muhney is missing is the ability to convey inner conflict. Without that inner conflict, the character does not work in ANY way.

• Members

But here is where the writing and pacing comes in. It's STILL a problem, because wev'e had 6 or 7 episodes now with no Phillip/Nina? And virtually NO interatcion with Walton and Cooper? Bierdz CAN carry heavy story, but not when he's rusty... and dropping him into this huge reveal literally on his second day of shooting was RETARDED, and also considering that CAST, and not RAUCH had to inform Bierdz that he didn't have to wait for the camera lights like they did 20 years ago, causing many scenes in the reveal to have awkward, pregnant pauses. And even if he COULDN'T carry heavy story it could have easily been written so he didn't HAVE TO. Walton couldv'e shouldered the biggest part of that, but instead theyv'e chosen to only let Cast carry it, which is FOOLISH. You needed to have Cast AND Walton on equal footing in this, and THEN play conflict between Walton and Cooper, having Kay TOTALLY not willing ot forgive him, and Jill trying DESPERATELY to get her to accept and forgive him, for fear that Kay will drive him away again. That couldv'e been AWESOME to see. But instead we have nothing but Graz playing a character with an IQ equivalent to the length of his penis, and Rikaart put forth as some modern day twisted psycho-freak Neo-Suze Orman wannabe. *Sigh*

• Members

ICAM. I thought that MM could take this role to a different level than CE did and was excited about that. Turns out the level he took it to was worse than CE. I'm now in agreement with most of you that Adam should just fuckin die already. Or send him off-screen for at least a year in prison before we see his snarky ass again.

I recall Davidson stating that she trusted MAB to keep Ashley a strong woman. I wonder how she feels now, having to play a simpering idiot day in and day out. I mean, ED has GOT to be suffering from dehydration in the worst way with all the tears she's putting out everyday. This SL has turned into complete shite. And I'm wondering now - is Ashley really crazy (we know she is "seeing" Sabrina) and has Adam stopped his "gaslighting" of her? He hasn't really set anything up since the car met Nikki's ass. Everything that's happened to Ash on-screen the last 3 weeks has been her own visions of Sabrina. Sooo......

This just pisses me off. This was one story I was enjoying and now it's a complete crap fest. Why are all the women on this show so WEAK? It's like these women turn into a pile of mush when the dick runs away. Puh-leease!

• Members

Ashley used to be able to go toe-to-toe with Victor and kinda keep him roped in, at least she wouldn't let him walk all over her like Nikki does. She was classy, bold, a good business woman plus a career chemist and they knew how to do her hair. Now all of that is down the drain so she can cry and go crazy. What a waste.

• Members

Ashley has been going down this path since she stole Victor's sperm, but now she truly does seem to have no role in life beyond being Victor's crazy wife. Even her family ties are an afterthought and feel false. She once had such a rich, complex relationship with Jack. Now, when she's sane, she's a b!tch to him, and when she's not, she's practically drooling on herself as Jack has to wring his hands in the background.

I have no idea why they brought her back. She had run out of stories when she left and this return just proves it for me.

• Members

Ashley was amazing when she first returned. She was so vibrant and strong and I loved her as the business woman, getting back in the mix of things. She and Victor were also good in the beginning but she let herself revolve around him and she lost herself. Its cringeworthy watching her now. She needs to get away from Victor and overcome her miscarriage. Id love to see her make Adam pay for what he's done and then go back into the corporate world. Too bad that she's a joke now.

• Members

I guess I just hated the contrivances of her return. You could see the writers patting themselves on the back at their brilliant choice of Nikki pushing Ashley to save Victor, only for them to fall in love. I saw no chemistry and I thought the idea of Victor getting over the violent death of his wife and unborn child because he could get it up with Ashley was tacky. Then they completely bungled Abby's return (this character is an embarrassment beyond belief) and killed Brad before there could be any real drama over her sudden decision to see Victor as her father.

I would rather see her in the corporate world but there is no corporate world on Y&R now.

• Members

But they showed almost all of Latham's Newman Enterprises set yesterday.

I took that as a clue and a sign. I think the day is dawning.

Let's face it...in the fallout of all the current drama...I see Ashley JOINING FORCES with Jack and Billy to BRING DOWN Newman Enterprises. I think that will be fascinating.

• Members

Ashley is going to be in this baby and Adam story for many months. Billy's stories are only about his love life and whining about how mistreated he is by everyone. They may use the sets as a backdrop but I don't think we're ever going to see a corporate focus. They use the corporate stories as a veneer, like Gloria/Jeffrey/Jill and their takeover bid being a laugh riot, with Jill suddenly being a fool who lost all her money.

I would like to see more corporate drama but with an EP who usually does not focus on the boardroom and three headwriters who have rarely touched the subject on any of their soaps, I don't know if it will happen. I think they believe viewers would rather just see violence, sex, shocks.

Archived