Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of August 24

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For those of us who have dealt with cancer in our immediate family, these type of SL's are almost never hallow. And this one WASN'T when Kristoff was doing alot of the heavy lifting. But today's scenes... MY COW! When Kahlil delivered that line.. "That's so MEAN!" I threw up my hands and had to leave the room. And considering this is coming from ME, you KNOW it was bad. Alvin, I'm of the opinion that this cancer SL is not so much badly written, as it's being played by an actress who TOTALLY does not have the ability to carry it. I heard that interview with her and Goddard where she said that when she does intimate scenes with him, she looks at his forehead, instead of his eyes, to keep from laughing. Really? You can't focus any better than that? You can't get over the school girl giggly crap long enough to play that scene and try to make it real? You see what professionalism wer'e dealing with here.

• Members

I think Phyllis still has a place on the show if they knew what to do with her. She is, like Jill, an antiheroine. However, the people at Y&R only worship antiheroes. Women are just disposal units, they exist only to pine for men. Earlier this year she did have something of a purpose, even if I didn't like the story (mean Phyllis plotting against poor Shick). I don't know exactly why, perhaps because they want to please both fan groups, but they took that away from Phyllis and made MJ the heavy in the story. Phyllis is now just clinging to Nick. I guess after MJ is gone they will make Phyllis bad again. My guess is eventually she will find out Sharon's baby is alive and with Ashley, and will keep quiet.

• Members

But she is so annoying in her particular brand of being an antiheroine, it's puke-worthy. I firrrrmly believe it would have been best if she were a temporary character and then written off.

Then Hogan needs to come up with a hilarious Wipe Phyllis off our TV screens! story. Something like being killed by a mermaid/merman or a clown or a cliff... And it has to be definitive. No more annoying, annoying, annoying Michelle Stafford. icon8.gif

• Members

I feel the same way. I was really moved at the beginning of this story, but I think it had to do with me relating it to my own experience of watching family members who have battled cancer in the past and an aunt who is dying from cancer now. By nature of it being about cancer it is tragic, and I thought CK did pretty well at the start of this story aided by KSJ and TW who both have been written off for 6 and 7 weeks now while this Lily story is playing.

I think a real problem with these writers is they don't consider the abilities of certain actors to carry heavy story. It's why I don't blame Thom Bierdz for the disaster of this Philip return. Why wouldn't they have asked themselves if a man who is no longer an actor, wasn't a terrific actor even when young, and hadn't acted much in two decades, might not be up to playing such a dramatic story. Not to mentions the story itself was horribly paced.

Now with this cancer story. Sure they are catering to Lane fans and want to redeem Cane, but why on earth would they give this story to a young actress who is merely adequate at her best. They have a number of over 40 actresses, in need of story, who are much more talented and could have played this story well. I just think they want to get Lily and Cane through this cancer story now so next year they can play out a surrogate story.

Weird that CK has to look at his forehead in love scenes. A far cry from Tracey Bregman who in an interview said that it is at times emotional when she acts opposite CLB. She says that all she has to do is look into his eyes, and she can see all the history and love the characters share and in a way feels what Lauren feels when on set.

• Members

Maria no follow up cliffhanger Bell continues her shitty pattern. Why even watch Monday's shows anymore if she wont follow through with her cliffhangers?? Victor is still being an idiot. Ashely is a stupid moron and Adam needs to just go away. He is annoying, dull and just boring to watch now. Why is he still on the show?? The only thing I liked was Jack and Phyliss today.

• Members

LMFAO they're catering to the Canadian day-ahead fans so that we get the cliffhanger resolution on OUR Monday show

Oh wait... the resolution either isn't there or sucks big time, every time. OK they suck with cliffhanger resolutions.

Archived