Y&R: Who do you want as HW?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ehh I'm really enjoying the show. Sure there are things to be fixed but so far it's been at the very least consistently good. Everyone, as myself and many others always say, have a right to his or her opinion but it will never be perfect in anyone's eyes. Not even BB who had began the creative vision of solidifying Y&R as a staple in daytime would make it perfect. Personally, unless I actually see their ideas and approaches for the show, in this genre I can never say for sure if anyone person would do a better job than the other. Interestingly enough I can more identify who I don't want at the helm...

• Members

I think VR is a great actress, but no way in hell do I want her penning my favourite soap, when she has very little experience as a daytime writer. The writing for the show's minority characters was brought up, and Sylph's suggestion as well as mine was Michele Val Jean, another African Amercan woman, who happens to be a talented soap opera writer. Val Jean has a track record writing for soaps, Rowell doesn't, and I don't care to see her learn Soap Writing 101.

Where is this coming from? Sylph didn't take it that way, it was an innocent jab. I've had many typos, big deal. I didn't write that post to correct Sylph in any way.

But all we're doing is voicing our opinions, we're not saying you can't have opinions either. Sylph and I never attacked you or your opinion. We have have a different view maybe, hence why we're posting.

• Members

I haven't read her book nor have I seen any writing samples from Victoria Rowell. I'd love to see her come back as Dru! She is unique! However, if she really insists on writing and is good at it, that's all she can get. Meaning: no double duty (actress & writer).

• Members

I agree, and of course, I'd have to see some samples of her work before I would personally hire her. And not any consulting or HW-ing for her, she'd start off writing scripts, and scripts alone.

But she cannot have it both ways and be an actress and writer on the show.

• Members

No, she shouldn't. When Meg Bennett joined the writing team in the 80's, Bill Bell wouldn't allow her to write for her character or storylines involving her character.

Unless Victoria Rowell creates a show of her own, then she shouldn't be writing for a character she's playing on someone else's show. Eric Braeden fights like hell for his character, but he doesn't write his own storylines. I have no problem with her fighting for her character's integrity, but she cannot violate certain ethical show-business principles.

• Members

OK, well not literally Dru and solely Dru but she should have as much input as she has had in the past, particularly because of the bastardization of the Winters.

I believe in that telling interview earlier this year, she said the LML regime would not let her speak her mind when it came to what Dru should do and be. If that's the same case under MAB, then let MAB have Tyra.

Either there's a Black writer, a good writer, VR's input, or no VR in my book.

I do not want to see Dru come back and act like Heinle does Victoria Newman.

• Members

As Sara A. Bibel said in her interview with In The Zone, Rowell simply submitted storyline ideas, like other actors. The writers sometimes went with them, but more than often they didn't. They were open to suggestions from their actors. Rowell didn't create all or most of those storylines she has when she was on the show.

If she's given that special treatment, then everyone else in the cast should be entitled to it as well. Actors aren't hired to write, so it creates chaos and violates many principles.

Well, I'm sure we'll never see her back on the show anyway. It's up to the writer's, if Victoria Rowell doesn't like it, that's her problem. She wasn't hired to write for the show, she was hired to act.

Archived