Y&R: Who do you want as HW?

• Members

Yeah... My sentence isn't saying anything about how he left, its focus is the state in which he left it in after he was fired. Clear now? :P

I was thinking pretty much the same when it happened: I thought that Y&R was offered him as part of the compensation for ending the contract early.

:lol: Bring it on!

No, seriously now: how do you view Y&R in its current state?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He left Days in the worst state that show has ever been in. All of his time there, he provided... maybe, at best, 5 good weeks all added up. I dont care if he chose to leave got fired went fi core or anything else. The show was unwatchable under him.

I thank goodness every day he was fired.

• Members

Oh, it's clear allright....I just don't view "Hogan's Days" as badly as everyone else does. Alot of it, I think, has to do with how great the show was produced while he was under Ed Scott, but also how awful and cliche the stories are under Higley. And she's not even bothering doing a "clever twist" to the cliche, as many soap writers attempt to do. It's like they grabbed old Sunset Beach and One Life to Live story projections and just ran with the ball. And this babyswitch [!@#$%^&*] is annoying as hell. And hardly any of DAYS' on-camera talent can really make this show watchable.

A Y&R implosion would be fodder for the message boards, for sure.

In the beginning, I felt like they were doing alot of things right and doing right by the fans by bringing these slow moving transition stories into some sort of "next chapter." Well, it seems like I'm only 60 pages into the book and while the first chapter was, like, 40 pages, the other 20 pages are like 10 chapters, with two pages devoted to each beat of the story. I just want them to slow the hell down. Your 3.7 Household(barring any older people who can't connect their converter boxes) isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They've stuck with you through Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and now Obama. They want a good story, they'll be patient for it.

And Maria/Sheffer/Hamner Y&R is a great reason why previous regimes are so reluctant to undo things or make these references to the past. It's also a great reason why many writers/execs pooh-pooh previous history and forge ahead. Because, as great as it is to know your soap history, what the hell is THAT doing in terms of progressing the story or the script? And longtime viewers are never satisfied with the end result, because it either does absolutely nothing in terms of putting these characters into a "Gen X" kind of state OR it consists of more suspending disbelief(i.e.

). Was it really necessary to

I am not a fan of just forgetting character's histories or rewriting it to suit a purpose, but I am also worn out on nostalgia. I'm sick of it. I just want a good story that's not at the expense of the characters we know and love.

And then there's the Adam thing, which seems like something drafted from the James Lipton/John Conboy school of desperation.

A pretty show and "history" can only take you so far.

• Members

Wait a minute! :lol: This is totally my idea, I mentioned it some time ago! If I can't get good drama, I better get some good trash! I'd rather have MetroCourt-esque stunts than a crazy guy torturing a poor woman in one of the worst, most despicable stories ever penned. Ever.

Archived