Y&R: Who do you want as HW?

• Members

I want MAB. She had a rocky start, but I like that she writes the characters the way they should be written. I'm interested in several of the upcoming stories, such as Philip's return, Adam's gas lighting of Ashly and MJ's agenda. Opinions?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO this thread :lol: . I wonder if it will get a single serious reply? Folks LOVE the "community" of the weekly thread, as well they should.

For me, ALL Y&R talk should be "okay" in the big thread.

Now, onto your topic: I totally agree. I think MAB is doing fine. She's a wonderful custodian of an established product. She's slightly tweaking some elements (humor, pacing), but for the most part this is still RECOGNIZABLY the Y&R brand. But, to paraphrase Backus, with Sheffer she's managed to inject some "hoot factor" that makes the show a pleasure to watch.

Even when the plots are far-fetched, most single episodes are entertaining.

• Members

MAB is just not a storyteller, and she's not very creative.

I posted this in the discussion thread:

I was very positive about this show from November to part of March. Since then, its all gone to hell (though it may still be better than most soaps out there).

I also realized that during when the show was more decent from November to March, there were lots of problems that MAB ignored, and that she still ignores. Like the horrible storytelling for the Winter's, the fact that characters like Nikki, Paul, Lauren, Michael, JT, Victoria, and others haven't been used much and have no storyline. Not mention, the ridiculous pacing of some storyline and the lack of romance and corporate intrigue. This has gone on for close to a year now, and it's not getting any better.

MAB blatantly ignores her biggest problems, and sorry, she's been there too long now for me to excuse them.

Anything that doesn't involve half of the cast in a triangle, most of the character's as criminals, most of the storylines being mystery related is welcolmed. MAB finds one or two themes and she makes the whole show about that specific theme.

I do not want another mystery, mental illness, or triangle story. What happened to the romance, social issue storylines, and the corporate intrigue storylines? I'd hardly call Jabot changing CEO's every 5 minutes a corporate storyline.

• Members

Sorry, I was just anticipating. ;)

You know something? Why don't MAB and Co. just wrap up everything they're doing by, oh, next Friday? Then, using the current cast, she can just "restart the clock", so to speak; go back to day damn one, and use Bill Bell's old scripts, w/ new actors playing the original characters. That way, no one has any reason to complain (save for the Cane/Lily/Devon/Tyra haters, of course). What do ya say? :D

• Members

My choice is Patrick Mulcahey, and if you exclude his scripts at B&B, he is still pretty damn talented in my book. :)

I like Bakus and I would take him anywhere on a writing team. He said he wished he knew then what he knows now about being a HW now. Perhaps, if her were paired with a talneted Co-HW that knew the show, I could accept it. Backus has experience with scripts, breakdowns, editing, and as HW. I think that helps a lot when you're HW. But again, I'm not fully endorsing him either.

Of course, my ideal choice would be Nancy Curlee, but that ship sailed A LONG TIME AGO.

Archived