Y&R: Who do you want as HW?

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 18 2009, 11:12 PM)
Honestly, MAB isn't going anywhere (and I don't want her to) so this is pure fantasy on my part. In my fantasy world I'd bring on Victoria Rowell as a creative consultant with real power. From her book it's clear she is a great writer and if her sample scripts/story ideas are good, then give her a fair shot! It's clear now how much influence she had over the entire Winters family. I believe so even when LML was there because the family was shot to the pits of hell without her. I think it's important to add a writer of color who can be a voice of support for those characters. I could see her injecting life into their storylines without stepping foot on screen. Also as a big fan of the series and Bill Bell, I could see her trying her best to support his vision. I can see her creating great friendships among the female characters, giving the females their strength back and infusing the family scenes (that don't exist) with real heart.

I think you're onto something there. I think VR would be a great addition to the writing team.

And just for the record, I'm happy with MAB and don't want her replaced. She just needs a stronger Co-HW to help her along. Show Hogie the door and have someone like Alvin suggested - Slater or Esser as Co-HW. Maybe even Cwikly would be good.

I'm a little surprised that Rauch hasn't shown more influence over pacing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let me say this again, I'm not advocating for MAB to relinquish her Co-EP title, she should keep it if the Bell's insist on putting their stamp on this show and keeping it in the family. However, I'm advocating for Maria Arena Bell to RELENQUISH her WRITING DUTIES. She is not cut out to be a soap opera writer, and she ignores her flaws and has been doing this since the beginning of her writing tenure.

All I'm asking for her is to hand the WRITING DUTIES over to a real soap opera storyteller, someone with a good track record. Not a primetime writer like Earl Hamner, Jr. (especially if it means his hack son Scott remains on staff), or a novelist, or untrained in daytime writing playwright.

My choice was Patrick Mulcahey with Natalie Minardi Slater, but if they can do better, I'll reserve judgement.

And wow, the Victoria Rowell fanbois. :rolleyes:

• Members

Sylph brought up an interesting idea last week, and I have to say it here. He suggested Michele Val Jean, who he knows I LOVE. She'll never leave GH, no matter how unappreciated her talent is there, but I think she would be wonderful at Y&R. She never got a fair chance as HW of GH, and I know from interviews she's given that she would like to write for more African American characters. I have a problem with those who think just because you're Black, you automatically know how to write for Black characters. I'm not Black, but I'd like to think that EVERY ethnic group is complex and diverse. Anyway, Michele has written exquisitely for the characters on GH, despite Guza's poison vision. Again, if she were paired with a writer than knows Y&R like Natalie Minardi Salter, I would love to see what she can do.

• Members

She's only written scripts for what, almost 2 years? Not HW material at all. Though, I love her parents. :lol:

Michele Val Jean is a storyteller, and she was specifically behind the re-visitation of Laura's rape by Luke in 1998, which was perhaps the last great storyline to EVER be featured on GH. This woman is a storyteller whose has been brutally misused on GH for years now. She also has script, editing, breakdown, and HW-ing experience, and nothing that it means anything, she's a woman of colour that could perhaps offer better insight into the weak characters of colour on this show, and the weak women in general on this show.

• Members

This is not true, she's said repeatedly she's ready for a frontburner storyline and a romance. Her commuting could work out just fine if they wanted it to. You just have to schedule when to film the episodes and whatnot. Also, IIRC, that film festival ended a short while ago, so she's free for a long stretch of time.

Oh I agree we don't need a black writer to tell black stories, but with these writers it's different. It's clear they view us as some bizarre little aliens that are extremely difficult to watch. If this is the case then we DO need black writers. Not in general, but for these writers. It's clear they have the black people segregated into their corner and the "stories" (can you even call them that?) are pathetically thrown together. Why is it so hard?

• Members

Thinking, thinking...

But rest assured that I would fire pretty much every single person from today's writing team: all of them. That is, no dialogue writing for Y&R people! Meaning, Slater & Ferri can forget about it. If proven as true custodians of Y&R's history, then all they can get is consultancy. Nothing else. But given that Maria will be consultant & co-EP, those two are redundant.

I would also re-hire Melissa Salmons.

Archived