Y&R: Who do you want as HW?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Victoria is hired to act like a wet-towel-"I just adopted the cutest puppy dog in an animal shelter and we should name it after a classic film actor endlessly and uselessly referenced on daytime television" housewife, then my point is, don't hire her.

I don't know what the Black actors are doing on Y&R these days but from what we see on screen, they sure as hell aren't providing any of the writers any suggestions that WORK. As an example: Animal shelter PSA? Was that Khalil's only suggestion or were the others (possibly better ones) rejected?

VR is not a writer, granted, but she has a solid grasp of the history of not only her character but an experience with the various regimes of Y&R that have influenced and retooled and dumped this show into the ground. In addition, she expresses a passion for Dru that I haven't seen in many other soap actors and actresses. I'd like it, if she came back, for her to give these batch of writers a history 101 lesson on what exactly it is to be Black in Genoa City. Consultant?

She might not know the ins-and-outs of developing Y&R but she knows a hell of a lot more than they do on the "Winter's Clan."

God, "Winters Clan"? Is Lily and 'em Irish now? (ETA: I had to fix that typo. Apostrophes are to be used correctly at all times)

• Members

Her input was probably more important than many. I can't say for sure because Dru was never recast, but it was obvious much of Dru and what the character represented had to do with much of VR's input. Not to under-rate the writers or the great man himself BB from a street urchin jive talking illiterate illmannered in so many ways stereotypical black woman to what Dru became while still staying true to the core of the character had much to do with VR's input. This was important because highlighted by VR there were no black writers for the show. I understand her passion on the potrayal of the leading black family. The character to me was so right but she could have been so wrong w/o it. This is strictly my opinion but I identify with the essence of that character and recognize Vikki's stamp on it from the dialogue as well as the confirmed story ideas. Now I don't think that necessarily entiltes her to write for the show though, maybe she should be considered as a story consultant.

Don't be so sure.....

• Members

I agree, she can fight for her charater's integrity, but at the end of the day, it isn't her responsivbility for what the hired writers dish out for her to play.

I doubt they listen to many suggestions from the actors anymore, that goes for everyone else that isn't apart of the Winter's family.

As do many of the actors in the Y&R cast...

This can easily be fixed by hiring a good writer. Again, the show never hired her to pen storylines or consult, and with the exception of Meg Bennett, who never wrote for her character or storylines that invovled her character, they've never hired anyone who acts on the show at the time they're writing for it.

But again, so would any creative writer that isn't afraid to push the envelope and write good storylines.

:lol:

• Members

This is the current Y&R writing team?

Head Writer: Maria Arena Bell

Co-Head Writers: Scott Hamner and Hogan Sheffer

Associate Head Writers: Marla Kanelos and Natalie Minardi Slater

Script Editor: Beth Milstein

Breakdown Writers: Amanda L. Beall, Tom Casiello, Lisa Connor, Paula Cwikly and Jay Gibson

Script Writers: Janice Ferri Esser, Eric Freiwald & Linda Schreiber, Sandra Weintraub and Teresa Zimmerman

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Not only are there no "breakout writers" here, but if MAB and her co-heads employ five breakdown writers already, then what the frak do Kanelos and Slater (not to mention, Hamner and Sheffer) do? Who needs a script editor w/ two co-heads? And only four scriptwriters, as opposed to seven breakdown writers? Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Members

The Winters have got to be in the worst storyline in Y&R right now. Victoria/Paul/Nikki other veteran characters who are being neglected should remain that way if only so their characters aren't tarnished as much as the TPTB have tarnished the Winters.

I think that since daytime is a dying medium, TPTB have to recycle writers because many new ones or good ones may be aware of the cesspool daytime has become or is becoming. Thus, good daytime writers will become few and far between, especially fresh ones.

I think if VR doesn't do both (my dream!!) then should should consult rather than act.

• Members

Clearly, Maria, you need help, so here's what you need to do:

Head Writer: Maria Arena Bell

Co-Head Writer: Hogan Sheffer

Associate Writers: Tom Casiello, Jay Gibson and Natalie Minardi Slater

Writers: Esser, Freiwald & Schreiber, Weintraub, Zimmerman, and a new SW.

There. Done.

• Members

Btw, I meant to write "I didn't mean to sound a total fanboi for you" but the damn jet lag is killing me! :lol:

As for HW, I don't know. I really don't. A few people sound like good choices, but since I do not have any great knowledge on most of the writers, I could not possibly say who I want... the only one I really know is Kay Alden and that is......

• Members

I'm afraid Sheffer and Hamner are contributing mucho to the most ridiculous(ly bad) stuff. MAB needed a more experienced writer (supposedly Sheffer) but, if she needs a co-HW to help her plot, she needs to find someone whose asinine ideas do not murder the shows. For that, I would suggest Slater (wasn't she the second HW up for the job after Bell? Or was she Alden's choice?).

What on Earth did I do? :lol:

• Members

What I have never understood is the uproar from fans about Victoria Rowell being allowed to have input on the character.

From everything I have read and studied it is a rare thing for any writer to ever let actors have input into the characters. Half the time they never even talk to them.

I often wish it were different because I feel that esp. in the case of where an actor has played a character for a long time he knows it better than anyone but yet they aren't asked.

So by Latham or whoever not listening to her, for me it was no big deal, because they don't listen to them hardly ever. Look at what George Reinholt got into it with Harding Lemay over - history of his character. In the end Reinholt got fired for not listening to his bosses and mouthing off. Harding Lemay went ahead and wrote the changes he wanted to the character and went on.

It happens.

Mary Stuart as far back as 1962 didn't think it was wise for her son to be killed off. She stated her opinion but in the end it didn't matter. The writers did what they wanted. STuart continued to work on the show and did the work she was given even though she didn't agree. It was her job and she did it.

• Members

Yes, Slater is Alden's protege and started out as her secretary in Chicago, I believe.

This show just needs a solid storyteller, no matter where they've come from. MAB needs to go, it's bad when you have to depend on your Co-HW(s) to plot and lay out story for you. What can a ridiculous system is this? What the hell is she good at in the technical aspects of writing?

We've made some wonderful suggestions in this thread, TIIC just need to use their brains..

Archived