Y&R: Week of March 9, 2009

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eric Braeden is an incredible actor. That single tear during the scene with Adam was perfection.

And MTS just rocks.

Neil has never really been fleshed out as a character...the only time they really tried to examine his background was with Malcolm. Everyone else on the show has a backstory, a history, some familial ties. I feel there's a lot of untapped potential with Neil.

• Members

Adam and Victor continue to be AMAZING. Chris Engen was born for this role, he's awesome.

Loved Katherine and Nikki having their reunion, it was a long time coming! MTS and JC were terrific!

Finally, the only thing good about Neil and Tyra's sex scene was the background music. LOVE that background music. Them, meh. They're both losers. Plus, Devon is just all sorts of icky, he has this Michael Jackson (post surgery) vibe about him...icky.

Team Karen all the way!

• Members

And Braeden earned his stature again. That tear!

The only thing that impairs my enjoyment of this is that we don't know if Adam is playing Victor. What did he ask Frank to get for him? Is he manufacturing this blindess. I wish not....

Yes, but I am angry at Nikki for not being like Amber and KNOWING it was Kay all along.

Brimike said the lighting was awful, and couldn't make out Devon. Well I must have a better TV :) and HD signal. I clearly saw that it was Devon, and I liked his little hand gesture (a dismissive "f*ck this") as he walked away.

Yeah, Karen > Tyra, but I'm not very interested in any of 'em.

I feel for Bryton and the Devon character. He was scripted as deaf (and is stuck with that contraption), but he is not being allowed to PLAY deaf. No lip reading, no turning people's heads so he can see them, no occasional "I beg your pardons", no positioning himself closer to people. As a hearing aid wearer, I'm hear to tell you he'd be doing all that.

They'll let Engen play the HELL out of this blindness....vacant stares, bumping into things. But Bryton...nothing. In so many ways, after his promising entrance story (which really flew ONLY on Rowell's back), Devon's never really been given a chance.

I have written before that I believe Devon should be DIFFERENT, given his background: Angry, proud, damaged, untrusting...the darkness of that maternal abandonment NEVER leaves. But, given the casting choices Y&R made, Bryton was never really permitted to make Devon a viable character. I blame the writing more than the actor.

• Members
I only hope for Adam's sake that he's not faking his blindness because he could actually turn out to be the son that Victor has wanted. Then there's Heather, she's obviously still in love with Adam and she is really concerned about his well being and it would really tear her apart if it turned out that he was lying to her again.

I agree with your assessment of Devon and perhaps him seeing Neil & Tyra in the midst of the deed will indeed turn him into a better character. When given the proper material, he can bring it.

• Members
I just went from a RP to an LED DLP and it has made a HUGE difference. Some days the HD is not such a good thing since it shows all of the imperfections and some are worse than others as you can well image.

• Members

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact Y&R is broadcast in HD (NONE of the other soaps are) so it might have a different transmission on sets that aren't HD, more so than some programs that don't broadcast strictly in HD format. Y&R looks beautiful on an HD set, I was stunned at the difference in picture quality when I got my first HD set a few years back.

But Y&R has also traditionally had very dark and moody lighting, but I did clearly see Devon on my set today.

• Members

I'm interested in Karen...Nia has great charisma, I'm all about her.

I don't feel for Bryton. In my view he's dull and boring and I don't even think that's the writing, I think it's the actor. I think an actor like Mykel Shannon Jenkins (of B&B) would be a MUCH better fit than Bryton, Mykel has charisma while Bryton is basically Michael Jackson circa 1994...seriously, that actor just pisses me off. He always has and he always will.

I do agree with you though, Devon hasn't been able to play deaf which is rather insulting to those who have impaired hearing. It would have been a really positive thing to see someone authentically live with impaired hearing...but this is daytime, we're lucky he even still wears his hearing aid.

Archived