Y&R: Week of March 9, 2009

• Members

Maybe once they stop focusing on Nick so much, Victoria will be next.

But it won't be the storyline we want, they just view Amelia's Victoria as a different character altogether.

But really, Nick and Adam have storylines going on right now, if Victoria had one, all the Newman children would have separate storylines, which would be annoying. They should all have storylines, but no more than two at a time please, especially when Victor and Nikki are still frontburner.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Victoria should've stayed in Italy until Heather Tom was ready to come back or they were willing to offer someone like Gina Tognoni or Sarah Brown the role.

Tognoni was actually up for the role, but Barbara Bloom thought she would be better at GL, and Jack Smith liked Amelia. It worked out good for Gina in the end, but she would've made one hell of a Victoria.

• Members

And that is why they cast Amelia. They wanted to go as far away from a Heather Thom type as they could irregardless of the fact that it destroyed the character of Victoria in the process. Victoria was always the one I saw as the child that was the true heir apparent when played by Heather Thom. She had the intelligance, ability and was like Victor in so many ways but still had Nikki's vulnerability.

• Members

Heinlee is fine as Victoria. I prefer her over Tom. Its the writing that sucks as there is no writing for her. Loved her, her first year when she came on. Victoria was flirtacious and bitchy and I loved her feistyness. None of that is apparent now with JT as all she does is take care of Reed and talk to Nikki.

• Members

Heinle comes off as a little girl playing dress up when they write some bitch into her, IMO. She looks like such a sweetheart that I can't buy her as a ruthless bitch (which Victoria should be). She has a very pure and innocent quality to her voice, the way she acts, and her overall delivery.

I think they should write Victoria and JT off for a year or so then recast with a more feisty actress, and have her come back to Genoa City without JT. I'm sorry, but JT hasn't served any purpose on this show in years, it puzzles me that he's lasted a decade and hasn't been in anything significant since his time with Fonseca's Colleen.

I think Amelia is so un-fierce, she's not a bad actress, but she's better suited playing heroines.

• Members

Yeah the role of Victoria is not the best fit with Amelia's acting. Like Y&R said, she's better as a heroine, not the female version of Victor Newman which she should be. And It seems like TPTB write to fit Amelia instead of writing Victoria like she's meant to be written, which is a shame!

• Members

What is the point of having Victoria on the show,if she's not going to be used in any meaningful way?

Amelia's take on the role is completely different to Heather's,but she's been left in no-man's land.The JT/Victoria story is non-existent.If MAB decides to give them a story,it is going to be hard to muster up any interest,when we haven't seen any build up.

I think the show is a mixed bag at the moment.Some things are working well,but others are missing the mark.

The Neil/Karen/Tyra story has been poorly plotted and being played out once a week,hardly engenders interest.The potential was there.Karen's inability to have children could have been an obsession(not in a psycho way)that drove her to pursue Neil and become a mother to Ana.Tyra could have had her own motives,wanting stability with Neil-maybe attracted to a richer lifestyle,after years of struggling.

Trouble was Tyra and Karen were both presented as fairly stable'nice'characters,who suddenly changed personalities to create conflict.

Not enough time was spent on them.If we had seen Tyra deal with some situations with Indigo that Neil helped her with,or Karen and Neil dealing with workplace issues,it would have added the layers needed.

Gil could have been attracted to Karen more than Tyra,but settled for 2nd best,thus fuelling Tyra's jealousy.Perhaps Devon and Lily would have had trouble adjusting to Karen's place in Neil's life.

We have seen nothing of Neil's feelings about Lily and Cane and the baby.Maybe Karen and Neil could disagree about this situation.

These were the kinds of layers that made Ashley,Nikki,Victor/Jack Lance/Lorie/Leslie/Lucas and Nathan/Olivia/Dru/Neil work way back when.

Devon is another useless character.He might as well go off to college and come back recast.Or bring in Nate and have them as rivals.Y&R has the opportunity to have a young black hunk and Devon does not fit the bill.

I am in favor of a Malcolm recast over a Dru return(unles VR came back-which would mean a back from the dead story).

It was great to see Gina back and having meaty scenes.I wonder about Patty Weaver's health as she is mostly sitting down.Maybe she doesn't want or can't work much.

It's good when the writers use the history.

Colleen seems to have gone back burner again.The Victor antagonism means nothing unless something comes up where Colleen's place on the board puts her in confict with Victor.

Nobody has been shown at work lately or pursuing their careers.I wish there were some better business stories developed rather than musical chairman of the board.

Thank the lord we haven't had to endure Restless Style.This is one instance where real life should come into play and that idiotic mag should close due to the recession.

• Members

I couldn't agree more..... as it has been stated, it is obvious MAB has no interest in writing for the character in any meaningful way.... just cut their losses. Its hard to believe Amelia has been with Y&R 4 years now.....

• Members

Yes, it really is hard to believe. She did have some storyline, but nothing too special, as opposed to Judith Chapman who was there almost the same amount of time (okay, she joined two months before), yet she had the time to turn over what the show used to be by sucking out the life out of it.

Gloria is so done.

Archived