Y&R: Week of March 9, 2009

• Members

Damn, now I'll have to look out for DEVON. And I don't wanna see that :).

I am so disappointed in this part of the show. I can't think of a single character in the once-amazing Winters clan that works. It is clear that when Rowell left (whatever people think of the actress) that it was like somebody "put a pin in that" (ref: Breaking Bad). All the air, all the cohesion (everyone was in Dru's orbit, and that's what hung it all together) is gone.

At this point, I'm thinking a total housecleaning, possibly INCLUDING Neil and Lily, followed up with an IMMEDIATE rebuild of some new families, could work. I really think Y&R needs an African American AHW to help get this right.

I think Rafe Torres could also be the start of a Latino/Hispanic family....much as Paul Williams was three decades ago. Personally, I'd love it if he were also gay...but I suspect (DaytimeFan) that the Bells won't go there.

But, honestly, I'm starting to look away whenever anyone in the Winters family comes on screen. That can't be a good thing.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's true. They use them rarely, but when they finally do it's quite bad. No, scratch that, it's really bad. Ever since Tyra and Ana returned to Genoa City six months ago we're still on the same storyline with tiny details added.

Since they've taken care of almost every other character (again, not all), why couldn't they invest just a little bit time into this family too? It's not that hard, and it just looks like they could care less.

• Members

Look who that family is headed by - boring old Neil. That character has never been remotely interesting in the first place, he's one of those straight characters that often comes off as one huge hypocrite.

I don't care to see Neil's personal life without Dru, keep him in business stories at Newman, which they don't seem to focus on anymore.

The Winters seemingly serve no purpuse on this show anymore, sadly, I don't think I would care if they were written out. It's obvious that they don't know what the hell to do with them.

• Members

They don't know and obviously don't care.

ITA on the personal life without Dru. The question is... if they finally did recast, would any of us really ever be able to accept another actress in the role?

Even though the rest of the show is good, Y&R will probably never go deeply back into business storylines, just because we have writers that (don't care) or just don't know how to write that type of storylines.

• Members

Neil is a dull as dishwater character, he really needs a women of the same age group that's feisty and takes no prisoners, which Tyra will never be.

The Winters have always been sort of lost without Dru, for all her tumultuous tendencies, she was a very stable factor for that family and grounded them in a unique way. But we know too many bridges have been burnt for Rowell to return.

Newman and Jabot still play pretty prominent roles, the business aspect is just way too personal these days, it seems to add more to family drama than corporate drama per se these days, which I don't necessarily mind.

• Members

Exactly. Even though they aren't the same business storylines the show used to have, I have nothing against how they're being written now. The weakest link on the show is the Winters family; even Paul's short appearances are more interesting than their affair storyline.

• Members

Isn't it just funny how the writers have the ability to write great storyline for any of the characters from the past, yet their newly created characters are a total flop (Alistair, River, Tyra, Ana)? I hope they don't ruin Mary Jane Benson.

• Members

To be fair, Alistar was always going to be a flop no matter what, what's the use of having Jerry Douglass if he's not playing John Abbott? Also, Tyra and Ana were bound to be flops, given that no soap knows or cares how to write for minority characters. It's not just a Y&R problem, it's a daytime problem overall. Soaps write the most insane and gag worthy stuff for their minorities these days, sadly.

Murphy wasn't a flop though, and he's gotten way more play than Alister, Tyra, River, and Ana have gotten. Unlike those character, they seem interested in him, but he is tied to Kay...

• Members

TPTB shoulda paired Neil with Victoria or Sharon.

Kristoff has WAY more chemistry with them than Bergman & Luckinbill.

Not always but for the most part.

Especially since TPTB absolutely screwed Tonya.

The business stuff should be frontburner again when Katherine resumes her life.

• Members

Given where I believ this whole Tyra/Neil/Karen dilemma going I think I can securely say NP is a goner. Anyway I am sure EM is trying and she is sexy to me but man they really need to have her do something with her facial expressions it does not match the dialogue. It takes away from the scene for me (no I am not a nit picker like that) because her face usually tells me something different from the actual dialgue. Her scenes with Karen (NP carried that scene) and talking scene with Neil was pitiful. The intro sex Neil/Tyra partof their scene was hot though.

I think this chipmunk/mascot/bank robber and the "scarf on the chipmunk" comment from Jana officially ruined my pure love for this story. GR still has me interested in what Kevin does though.EOB is phenomenal she just needs the material loving Daniel's faith in his friend. Amber continues to be tolerable

EB and CE was pure gold today. The father/son bond dynamic these two bring to their charcters has been very impressive.

From next weeks spoilers and previews things are going to get very interesting indeed

• Members

Yes, true. They still managed to do great with all characters that returned on the canvas (Chloe, Adam, Billy, Ashley, ...).

But IMO, River was useless, as are both Tyra and Ana.

She's too good for that.

Archived