Y&R: Discussion for the Week of January 5th 2009

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nikki and Katherine's reunion- Soap Opera Heaven.

The Fishers- Soap Opera Hell.

Katherine's little speech to Nikki about how they always saw each other through thick and thin- lump in my throat.

I always loved their relationship. I hope Nikki will be Katherine's ally through this. It sets up some excellent Nikki vs. Jill scenes!!

But again, DNA test. Come on.

• Members

Murphy is the best new character on soaps. He's so authentic and honorable. Perfect match for Katherine and s/l potential as a secondary character for years. And this Kay s/l is so rich and deep. It's Bell drama all day long. Back in the day, Y&R was built on those long, WHEN WILL THE TRUTH COME OUT stories and this one is genius. I litterally cannot wait till they all learn Marge is really Kay.

• Members

The Katherine and Nikki scenes were GOLD today. So much emotion, and the flashback Nikki had just added a lot more dept to the episode. Melody was very good with the tears, and Jeanne is rocking Katherine's confusion.

I also liked that they added some Nick and Sharon flashbacks. I don't know how much longer it can be doubted by some that those two are so going to end up together again.

Melissa Salmons continues to impress me with her Y&R scripts. She's impressed me at GL and ATWT, but Y&R isn't the easiest show for outside writers to grasp, and I think she's done a very solid job since she's joined the show. She inserts historical references in dialogue seamlessly. She DOES HER RESEARCH, that's the mark of a great script writer.

• Members

Watching the Nick and Sharon flashbacks.

I'm remembering why I disliked them both back then...awful actors.

And now, I think they are both TERRIFIC. Real evolution. I still like Phick, but I really respect how both halves of Shick have stepped up their game over the years.

• Members

No, Sharon Case is the third actress to play Sharon, I believe. Yes, they recasted the character 3 times in her first year. LOL! It's easy to forget though, most people think Case is the only actress to play the role.

Yes, I believe it played out on screen. Nick fel for Sharon almost as soon as he met her. But she was with Matt and he was with Amy.

• Members

I don't doubt they are putting Shick back together, and the faster they do, the faster the cheating can begin again. I just think that Phyllis has evolved enough as a character that she can remain on the show as a bitch, instead of returning her to the nut job she started out as. Sorry, but Nick is not worth it.

Good news folks, Jack has found his couch and tossed out the trash.

• Members

The rumor is that Sharon and Nick get together but it's not for good. Nick is supposed to be 'torn' or some sort of mess, between his past and his future. I guess that's why all of the flashbacks have to do with their young life together and not anything more current like the Parisian kiss or some of their many hugs.

As much as I love Nick and Phyllis, the real love story I want to see progress is Murphy and Katherine. Do we have a name of them yet? Murphine? I hope JC gets her second emmy from this storyline. Last year I thought she was more of a supporting but she's saving this show right now. I can't wait for more!

• Members

The relationship between Katherine and Murphy is just wonderful. On another site, I saw someone mention the name MurKat and I thought that was cute. Jeanne Cooper gave her take on the relationship in the January 13th edition of SOW. I so agree with her.

Murphy's Laws

Jeanne Cooper's Katherine has a love interest again on The Young and the Restless, and the actress doesn't quite get all the fuss. "It didn't matter to me [when Katherine didn't have one], but it seemed to matter to everyone else, and I don't know why," chuckles Cooper, noting that when she learned of the pairing with Michael Fairman's Murphy, she was intrigued. "I thought it had to be what Lauren and Michael would like to be as they get older; this soft love and respect for each other that develops into a comfort and peace." So far, she hasn't been disappointed. "Oh, I love it!" exalts Cooper. "It's a story you don't usually see carried out on daytime. Whether it's going to go on and Murphy's going to become a part of Katherine's life once she proves she's Katherine, I don't know." But Cooper has hope. "Michael is such a relaxed actor and just cotton candy to work with" she says.

Archived