Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think we a total of 4 GOP senators.  Romney is a good bet and according to twitter, he already joined Lisa Lisa Murkowski, though I can't 100% confirm.   Susan Collins is actually probably a good bet, not because she all of a sudden has a spine, but because she's about loose her job. Making the same promise is probably only hail marry that might save her. With those 3, if my math is correct, it makes it 50-50 and Pence can cast the tie breaking vote.  We'll need one more. 

• Members

My guess is she still felt healthy enough to do her job. Who could have imagined the hell that was coming our way? If you think many people here did, go look back at this thread circa fall 2016. I remember being so sure people could not possibly be stupid or evil enough to vote in Trump.

• Members

She's a senator from Maine, not Alabama. The main reason she's polling about 8 point behind is because Maine voters hated that she voted for Kavanaugh and didn't vote to impeach Trump. She can't afford to cast another vote like that before election day. 

While I do think getting 4 GOP senators is more possible than people think it is, the best plan is to ensure Biden wins and Dems take back the Senate. They can up the SCOTUS to 11 seats if need be and deal with the fallout later. 

• Members

This was on CNN's blog. Not sure I trust them to stick to it:

Here is a list of four Republicans senators who have said they will oppose a vote before the election:

1. Maine Sen. Susan Collins told the New York Times, “I think that’s too close, I really do."
  2. Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski in September said, "Fair is fair," and she would not vote to replace RBG before the election."
  3. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham in October 2018 said, "If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump's term, and the primary process has started, we'll wait to the next election. And I've got a pretty good chance of being the Judiciary [Chairman]. Hold the tape." 
  4. Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said in July he would follow the Biden rule, "I'm just following what was established by the Biden Rule in 1986 and then emphasized by him in 1992... They set the pattern. I didn't set the pattern. But it was very legitimate that you can't have one rule for Democratic presidents and another rule for Republican presidents."

• Members

This is one more blow in a horrific year. All day long people have been wishing each other happy new year. Then to listen to the Rosh Hashana services tonight when I knew most of the people "there" didn't even know what had happened was especially galling to me. Just the sheer optimism some people have amazes me and I certainly do not share it, not even be for this calamity.

Still, Biden winning does absolutely matter to the nation. It matters to the Muslims who can't have family visit, to the refugees who can't get in, to the women and children in camps on our border, where god alone knows what offenses against humanity are being committed. I could go on and on, but this is no time to give up.