KNOTS LANDING

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Don's leaving/Sid's death opened up a lot of story possibilities that helped the show in the long run.

Had Sid stayed on I wondewhat they would have come up with for Sid/Karen. Maybe his daughter would have resurfaced?

If they had gone with the story but had Sid survive, I could see him grappling with a disability/sexual problem type story for the rest of that season. But then what?

• Members

I don't mean to nitpick, but the Variety obit said that Don had a recurring role on Knots Landing. I suppose he did in his last few episodes, but not his first two seasons. I'm not sure if it has been corrected, but it's always sad to see these simple mistakes get through in respectable publications now.

• Members

Not even in his last few episodes. I think he was credited as a main cast member until his last episode.

RIP Don Murray, have a nice rest. 94 is a good run and he seemed to have his wits about him in Twin Peaks when he was in his late 80s, so hopefully that continued into his 90s.

• Members

On second thought, maybe Kenny wasn't wrong to give that song to Ciji first, lol.

But seriously.  I always point to that montage as the moment when the KL that people truly love was born.  As you watch it unfold, and especially when you see how it ends, you just know the show is never going to be the same.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I just got to Season 7 - where the Dallas writers take over for a year - and the YT channel has disappeared again. BUT, at least I got to see Valene get the damn twins back!! LOL That storyline went on a little too long for me. Also, is it just me, or is Alec Baldwin's character annoying. He's so holier-than-thou. Are we supposed to hate him? I was so excited to see him on the opening credits in Season 6 but quickly grew to dislike the character. And to stick poor Lisa Hartman with him!

• Members

I think KL always meant for Joshua to be an antagonist, but given what we now know about Michael Filerman's personal distaste for Alec Baldwin, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Filerman made the other producers and writers lean harder onto that in order to force Baldwin off the show.

• Members

It definitively feels like something changed between seasons six and seven for his character - they seemed very much to focus on the fact that he was detoriating mentally and that there might be some issue in LilliMae's past surrounding mental health (which would've tied nicely into Val's breakdown that season), but suddenly he became very one-note villain until he died imho.

I also don't think he got physically abusive with Cathy until season 7, which was a line too far.

Edited by te.

• Members

IMO there was still mileage in his story too. Truthfully the entire cable storyline was underutilized. Think how important media became. It was a missed opportunity not to let Joshua’s ministry grow much larger before it blew up around him. Also to really invest in Ben’s work as a journalist. I think it would have even been interesting for Ben and Abby to come down on the same side of an investigative piece. Something to do with Sumner. What would them working so closely and well together have done for all those character dynamics?