Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Everyone falls into the post snafu on this site. Anyway, if you do watch everyday then it I do wonder how you missed the scene where, in a picture taken by Holly, Andy was caught with another woman. Chrissie hearing the phone just clinched that the woman was Bernice.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Looks like Kelvin Fletcher is leaving the show, as he's hinted at for about a year now.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a803299/emmerdale-spoilers-is-kelvin-fletcher-leaving-andy-sugden-role/

I can’t say I’m surprised about Kelvin, but the final reality of his leaving has saddened me.

I hated a lot about Andy - his sick relationship with Katie, anything about his relationship with Debbie, his self-righteousness, the double standards he frequently benefited from - but I loved a lot about Andy too. Kelvin’s acting (always underrated), and Andy with the Sugdens, Andy with Bernice, Andy with Jo (before he became abusive). The show just isn’t going to be the same without him, especially as the male characters in his age range are all mostly undeveloped (Pete) or have a lot of serious writing hurdles (Robert, Ross).

Andy’s relationship with Robert was one of the most fascinating relationships in Emmerdale history. Robert was the reason he came on the show in the first place, a scared, neglected child whose only relatives were a jailbird father and an alcoholic grandmother who barely bothered. Robert saw a friend and a brother. He wouldn’t up on Andy. And even though he hurt Andy, and Andy hurt him, so many times over the years, he’s never given up on Andy. I don’t think he ever could.

The Sugden family is the heartbeat of Emmerdale. Robert’s return and the strength of Sugden-related material over the last few years proves that, even if it shouldn’t have needed proving. With Robert in a more stable place and Victoria finally becoming her own character again (albeit still in a supporting role), there has never been a better time to expand on the family. Andy’s absence will leave a huge void, but I hope the show will see their importance and see this as an opportunity to rebuild this crucial group while they can.

• Members

Andy's never been a favourite of mine, but if he really is leaving it will still be a sad moment. Another Sugden gone.... :(

But there are ways to beef up that family. Robert has a half-sister, Sandie, who moved to Scotland in 1989. She could be re-introduced, and by this time she could have children and thereby bring in a new generation.

Or, as I've said before, they could bring back Sam Skilbeck. Maybe he could buy Home Farm now that the Whites are in disarray. And that would also mean an opportunity to have Matt and/or Dolly back on occasion. I don't think Frederick Pyne or Katharine Barker/Jean Rogers would be interested in coming back fulltime, but they could visit. It would tie the current show a little bit more to the past.

• Members

He's always been a favourite of mine, even at times when most people wanted to see the back of him. This will be a huge loss to the show for me, and he's already filmed his exit scenes, so it's going to be a struggle to adjust. The Sun article hinted he'll get an open-ended exit, thankfully. Plus, for some reason, like Ryan Thomas/Jason Grimshaw, this feels like just a temporary goodbye. I have faith Andy will be back in the dales at some point. In the meantime, I'll have to tell myself that I watched this show for years with just Andy/Victoria, so having it now be just Robert/Victoria for the Sugden clan will have to do. Hopefully, the writers will take more of an effort in strengthening their relationship. The recent episode where Robert returned to town, but never went to see how Victoria was after being attacked, and the fact that he still hasn't showed any sign of caring, is infuriating. I will say, it is encouraging to see Victoria have a point of view for more than a couple episodes. That hasn't happened since Gavin Blyth took over and decided she was worthless. It's just discouraging that Robert is chained to a Dingle. And though it's petty, I hate that I've lost so many of my favourites in recent years, but not one damn Dingle shows any signs of getting off my lawn. Even though I can enjoy them at times (mostly away from each other), when I think of the grand scheme of things, and how much more incestuous the show becomes when everyone but this family leaves, it gives me no pause to say that I would nuke this family as swiftly as possible if I could. (sans Queen Charity, of course).

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

She already has a daughter - she left the show to be with her. Louise would be about 33 now, the right age to have kids who could drive some story. And Sandie could too. They could revive her feud with Eric, or make them business partners. Or have her take over Home Farm. Or go into business with ever-isolated Megan.

Did you get to see the two February 1983 episodes that were briefly on YT? If not I can reupload them. Lots of good drama in them surrounding Sandie's pregnancy. 

As for Andy and his exit, a site was up that was putting out spoilers for like a month or two months in advance. The site is gone now, but they leaked what seems to be Andy's exit.

• Members

Amen!! I hate that family with a passion, and it infuriates me that they just multiply. Even if one or two leaves, there's always a second-cousin once removed or something like that who pops up and settles in the village.

I know that Sandie had a daughter (and yes I did get to see those great episodes before they were taken down), but I was under the impression that she gave her up for adoption. That's why she left for a while in 1983-84, to have her child away from Beckindale, and from Pat who wasn't all that supportive from what I gather.

But even without that child Sandie could now have kids that would be in their early to mid-20s. And as you point out, she has a history with Eric that could be revisited.

• Members

She did, but in 1989 the girl's adoptive parents were killed and Sandie moved to Aberdeen to raise her. I didn't ever know any of this as it's not really in a lot of the history, but there's a book from the early '90s that mentions it and has a photo of Sandie and Louise from before they left the village.  I'll try to find it and scan it when I can.

As you mentioned above, they could also bring back Sam Skilbeck, with appearances from Matt and Dolly. They could buy Butler's from Moira, as it hasn't felt right there without John IMO.

I don't mind the Dingles most of the time, but I really get tired of them when they're in superiority mode, and when they are all over the Woolpack. It's just silly that they no longer have bar staff and instead hire relatives or love interests. Belle's doctor boyfriend pulling pints? Sam Dingle running the pub? No wonder the place is always empty now.

• Members

@DRW50 Caught up! Thanks for tipping me off about Ross. He looked so sexy in that sailor costume. :wub:

I thought Finn's memorial speech of Val was so endearing. Their friendship is one of the many reasons I miss Val on the show. 

I cannot believe that Cain kissed Charity. What a dumbass. I do feel bad for Moira b/c I love her and Cain together. I utterly felt for her when Cain sat his ring on the table and bounced. I am over Charity pining for Cain too. I've said it numerous times on here, but I feel that it's a pairing I don't ever wanna see again. The two are just too toxic for each other. So glad that Chas is against them getting together again too. I hope she continues to speak out. 

Is Belle losing her mind again? It did her no justice to destroy Joanie's wedding dress. I feel like Belle needs to let it go. If Zach wants Joanie then so be it. 

• Members

Yes. Ellie (who looks oddly like Stephanie Davis) is a hallucination only she sees. She says it's an old mate from juvie, but some fans think it's a dark version of herself ("Belle" "Ellie"). 

What do you think of the Nicola and Dan story? I know some hate it because it's an affair plot or because they don't think she'd ever go for Dan, but so far I'm enjoying it. The story clearly isn't about burning passion, it's about Nicola's fears and doubts about herself, and her inability to express them to Jimmy. It's sort of taking Nicola back to her first run on the show, which I'm glad about, whether it's intentional or not.

I also keep seeing some person on that Digital Spy forum claiming Emmerdale is ripping off Sally and Tim on Corrie. I get so bored with that type of nonsense. Their stories have nothing in common at this point. 

• Members

Carl, DigitalSpy is going to send you to an early grave. You must stop going there, at once!

Other than Tracy being the wrong woman for David, I really don't have a major problem with any of the stories right now. I was really sceptical about Cain/Charity, but the way it all played out this week impressed me. I'm happily surprised the show is writing it as Cain and Charity being the awful couple they truly are together. They play off each other so well, but never as a true romance. I still remember that incredible episode during Blackburn's era (a man whose regime I detested), where the shoe was on on the other foot and Cain wanted Charity, but even she knew then that he only ever saw her as a dirty whore. I wish I could find it online. I do have to remember that McLeod inherited this aspect of Charity and Zak/Joanie, so I'm giving him leeway on those fronts to see where he goes. Having Belle's drama become paramount in the latter story is a smart move. May she ruin the wedding in fantastic glory.

I was completely enthralled by all the Gabby drama recently, too. She was so mean, so cutting, but I never hated her. They walked the line with her fury, rejection, and pain with excellence. I also hope they stick to keeping Liv as the more rational one. It's a nice contrast, and making them true friends was such a refreshing move. I also never want another instance of Liv's shop destruction. I never want to see EastEnders at it's worst in the Dales ever again.

• Members

(re: Belle) That's what I assumed too--that Belle is going crazy and the girl was Belle's dark side. If done correctly, I am gonna really enjoy this story. 

Oh! I also forgot to mention how phenomenal the scenes with Gabby/Ashley were. While Ashley said some harsh things to Gabby, I think Gabby is gonna regret all of this a year from now. Especially, with Ashley's time nearing its end. 

With Nicola and Dan's story, I don't mind it. Affair stories don't bother me when there are deep reasons as to why the affair is occurring. Plus, as you said before, it is somewhat reverting Nicola back to her old-school ways. While I've loved the arc Nicola has had as a character, I don't mind her old habits rearing their ugly head ever now and then. The Kings need some scandal and that's what they revel in the best. I'm glad though that it isn't one-sided, and Nicola is the culprit this time.