Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a795734/who-is-the-greatest-emmerdale-character-of-all-time/

10 (!) Dingles on their list, and Kelly Windsor and Dave Glover! But not Joe Sugden, Henry Wilks, Frank Tate, Matt Skilbeck, Sam Pearson, Dolly Skilbeck......

Only 8 characters included from the "Emmerdale Farm" period..... (Robert, Seth, Eric, Jack, Annie, Alan, Amos and Kathy)

Right now Aaron is leading the poll.  :rolleyes:

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Frankly I was surprised they even included that many classic characters.

I have started uploading some 1978 episodes on my Youtube channel. Most have been up before (not all) but the channels were taken down. They all have Dolly, although the bigger episodes with her I haven't put up yet. Just thought you might want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKQdSayyEHicOpj41XquaBQ

• Members

That's great! The 1970s is my favourite era. It was such a different show then compared to now, and even compared to the 1980s and the 1990s. I think it's partly sentimental reasons too. I first watched the show back in the very late 1970s, so I have an emotional attachment to that period.

• Members

Now it's been broadcast, hopefully I will be forgiven for saying well done to the winners. 

I also hope I'll be forgiven for suggesting that most of Emmerdale's wins seemed to be 'fanbase' wins. 

The test will be if Coronation Street wins Best Soap next year. Or if this year's winner can gain momentum.

• Members

This was a heavy watch but I thought the Holly material brought some real drama for the Bartons - one of the few times that the original Bartons actually felt like a family, instead of supporting characters to the Bartons 2.0. I swear I can't remember Natalie J Robb having a real opportunity to act for several years now. It was a nice reminder of what she brings to the show when given the chance. And the scene where Cain told Holly to leave was very gripping to watch - the whole thing is just so ugly, and you know why he's doing it, especially given his history with Shadrach. 

I enjoyed the pirate ship stuff, although I guess it will start coming unwound soon enough. I laughed at the scene where Nicola snapped the box closed and warned Dan that he wouldn't like the nasty her. 

I also enjoyed the Barton brothers making up (for now anyway). It meant a relatively well-balanced episode.

Liv is just exhausting to watch. I get what she's feeling, I do, but I have to skip a lot of her scenes. It's nothing against the actress, who is very good, it's just so draining.

• Members

I see that Charley Webb's Twitter bio gives her agents' details - what's that all about? Letting the show know that she's keeping her options open, in the same way that a lot of soap actors write "Currently playing so and so on [INSERT SHOW]'?

• Members

I'm starting to think that Dr. Bailey has been setting up Belle for months now, always intending to frame her for his wife's murder. By all indications she's an heiress of some sort-I doubt that fabulous house was bought on his salary-and he's been after her fortune since he married her. He can use Belle's mental health history/Gemma's murder and the stalker angle to make his dream come true.

• Members

Oh Bernice....-_-

My girl looked so pathetic tonight. I just can't feel pity for her as she knew who she was involved with privy to marrying him. The man is gay, Bernice. Did she really expect his colorful past to stay dead forever? 

I am guessing that Ronnie will get blamed for the accident Bernice caused until Lawrence figures out the truth. 

Are they entertaining Belle/Declan? I hope not. Then again ... I take that back. Those two together would make it easy for FF material. 

Glad that coke-whore Holly is getting it together. I wonder how long this'll last. I do wish that they'd have her and Cain drop their daggers against each other and move on to another plot. I'm over Cain v. Holly to be honest. 

• Members

The thing is with Lawrence and Bernice is that the man she married hadn't been with any men for a long time. As far as she knew, there had never been much of anything since he was a young man. She knew he couldn't have sex with her, and she resigned herself to that, but I think she assumed he was genuinely going to live the life with her that he promised. Instead he clearly has all these feelings for another man, and he's clearly lying to her about all of them. I think that's what she sees as a betrayal. 

In a way she brought it on herself, which she admitted, but I still feel for her. 

I saw some trying to act like Emmerdale ripped off Phil Mitchell, but at least this instance was in a more logical context. They put Phil's rampage in haha comedy mode even as the story was supposedly supposed to be serious, with his 30-year old daughter in danger for about 3 minutes.

• Members

I saw those comments too. I think Bernice was justified in doing what she did. It made sense. I was glad too that they didn't have her almost kill someone. 

But I still can't feel pity for Bernice b/c as you said she did bring this on herself. She should've known that after the Andy assault incident that Lawrence was a liar and couldn't be trusted. She should've mentally prepared for something like this to occur. I think overtime though that I will grow to feel for her but at the moment ... nope. :P