Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, Carl, it's nice when there's a sense of community on this show but this pirate ship stuff, although it's using a lot of inter-generational cast members, is UNBEARABLE. I realize this is a bit of light comedy relief for Ashley before the dementia well and truly takes hold but all the "pirate" shouting and forced merriment by middle aged/elderly men and young children is still working my last nerve.

It's seeming more and more clear to me that Dr. Bailey has been playing the long game with Belle and has been setting her up to take the fall for the murder of his rich wife. 

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Some of it gets on my nerves, but I enjoyed Friday, with the water pistol fight. It was more fun than the tedious scenes with the playing poker or the kids blackmailing them. And the story is at least a better use than Rodney than his usual bizarre perving.

• Members

I respectfully disagree-the "boys" getting caught in tonight's episode was particularly irritating and Rodney's standing over little Angelica while she lay on the ground was extremely creepy! And for God's sake, will he PLEASE get rid of that mini ponytail? He ain't 20 anymore-or frigging Paul Revere.

• Members

Don't really have an issue with the pirate ship stuff, but I think more drama should have taken place upon Ashley learning that all those guys were just babysitting him. IMO it should have also been where Ashley learned that he's not allowed to be alone with Arthur. 

I am noticing that since McLeod's arrival the show has become much more lighthearted than it was under Oates. Now whether that's negative or positive for the show, it has yet to be seen. So far IMO, I like it. 

• Members

The show has dropped this so many times over the last two years. I genuinely thought it was done and that he was going to be paired with the new Gabby. I really don't want him paired with anyone, aside from a therapist or a grim reaper, but I tend to wonder if Belle is going to be isolated from everyone and turn to him for support, which would lead to a relationship (and further his obsession). I still don't know what they are planning with Lachlan, if we are now supposed to see him as "good" or if we are still supposed to see him as disturbed. 

I'm not really all that thrilled with the image of a black guy (the only black character on the canvas, aside from the wife who showed up a few times and really deserved a bigger role...) in a seedy relationship with the young white heroine, being beaten up by Cain, etc. I guess I should be happy that they didn't show much of Cain giving him a beating, as that would have looked awful, but it still points out this show's need for diversity. 

Anyway, there's a trailer for next week that is pretty well put together:

http://sorenkingsley.tumblr.com/post/146218241135

• Members

Yeah I am NOT here for Cain beating down the one black character on the show. It was bad enough he had Rakesh tied to a chair a few weeks back. I won't it. Especially, when Belle is no innocent victim. 

I am with you that Lachlan needs to meet his demise but it is obvious they are pushing him on Belle to put him over and solidify his stance with the audience. IDC how many ways they try and pimp him, I will never forget what he did to Alicia. 

The trailer looks good next week but damn Rakesh is stupid. He stays doing stupid stuff. I guess he learned nothing from Kirin's mistake. 

• Members

This is the Rakesh Jai used to warn people about, but which never really materialized onscreen. It feels like a number of characters (Lachlan, Rakesh, Tracy) have gone somewhat back to factory settings. On the one hand I'm glad some of their past traits are being revisited, but it also feels a bit disorienting. 

I just hope Priya finally gets something to do. Fiona Wade deserves better.

If they had Lachlan go to therapy, like Josh did on ATWT, I might give him a chance, but they won't as that's seen as dull in today's soap world. With the way Thomas Atkinson has bulked up I assume either Lachlan is going to start to become more of a romantic leading man, or Atkinson is wisely leaving before he is typecast. 

I think the episodes as a whole have improved, but the stories themselves still need some work. 

At least Pete is moving out and the Barton homogeny is being split up. I wish they'd find a good female character to pair him with. I'd say Carly or Leyla.

It's also still very odd for me seeing Charity as landlady. It doesn't fit. 

Chris Chittell and Lesley Dunlop (Eric and Brenda) got married. Lesley, like June, is busting out all over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3650771/Real-life-Emmerdale-lovers-Chris-Chittell-Lesley-Dunlop-tie-knot-romantic-Cornish-wedding.html

• Members

Congrats to Chris and Lesley but as you said, Lesley's dress is not flattering. She needed something more fitting for her breasts. 

I wouldn't mind Pete with Carly or Leyla. I just don't want him (like Ross) wasting away until Debbie's lame ass comes back. 

Charity as landlady does not fit with me either. Honestly, I am at the point where I am over Charity as a character. She's one who stays stuck on repeat. She can go.

• Members

Some of the 2011 episodes I've been uploading show how much more layered the character can and should be. Kate Oates regressed her so much and now she just seems so out of place, especially her wanting to be with Cain again, which was resolved some time ago.

This episode is a good example of what I wish they'd kept with Charity - she's tempted to start again with Cain, only to realize he's been strongarming his pregnant (or as far as they all thought, formerly pregnant) teenage one-night stand, Amy. This leads her to realize she was once that same girl, and she can't go back again.