Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, but brief focuses on characterization and interpersonal relationships is not enough, IMHO. I know different viewers enough different sorts of material, but personally, I think characterization and relationship drama should always come before shootings, plane crashes, and all the other contrived gimmicks which soaps use to get attention.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree, but that's how it's been with Emmerdale for a long enough time now that until I get angry and quit watching again (as I did around the time they killed off Viv and Terry and the offensive Jackson story began), I try to push through a lot of the dross. It's not easy, but the Laurel stuff and stuff like Leyla and Tracy using Eric's !@#$%^&*] ways to pretend he's part of a big party trick - it was really compelling or worked for me. I can see why it wouldn't for others.

• Members

I don't think they did enough to have Jackson get proper treatment and mental care before making his decision. I think they wanted the drama of Aaron suffering and isolated so they could have his self-harm story, and it came across as him being emotionally abused and manipulated by Jackson and his mother. I just thought it was crass. But if you liked the story I don't want to take that away from you. A lot of people did like it.

Of the current stories is there one you think isn't too bad, or do they all bother you?

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Actually, on an intellectual level, I agree with you about the Jackson story, and how he finalized his plans for suicide too quickly.  The show could have been more socially responsible by allowing viewers to see him get extensive and proper psychiatric care before he decided his life was over. On an emotional level, however, I could understand the character's giving up after realizing that such a huge part of life was now lost to him. When I was a teenager, a friend of the family was in a freak accident and ended up in the exact same situation as Jackson. He simply did not want to live any longer, in that condition, and no amount of physical and psychiatric care ever changed his mind. I think I became so emotionally involved with the plot, and accepted Jackson's quick decision with relative ease, based on that.

Currently, I find the show frustrating because we do have some great individual scenes, and some wonderful acting, but it's inconsistent in the storytelling, with too much reliance on hype rather than substance. is it better than any of the US daytime soaps? I would say yes, but I don't feel as emotionally involved as I was during the earlier years.

• Members

I totally understand why you'd invest in the Jackson story. You definitely weren't alone in that.

I agree about the current show. I just yawn through (or get angry through )anything with the Robert shooting or the Debbie/Ross/Pete mess. The other stories have their moments but could be better. If it makes you feel any better, the outgoing producer insists the remaining months of 2015 will not be about crime and drugs, because Emmerdale isn't that type of show.

We'll see...

My channel is so erratic as I don't upload consecutively, but I've been putting some January 1997 episodes up lately that you might enjoy. They remind me of what you've described. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I was so excited for an episode on Friday only to see there was none....but hopefully tonight makes up for the long wait.

I'm so curious who actually shot Robert but I think at the end of the day its going to be someone useless or completely shocking and out of left field. Aka Paddy or Vanessa.

I honestly don't know how Rakesh can live with himself. His own flesh and blood may be dying and is fighting for his life and yet he just pretends like he and Kirn have no claim to the lad....beyond shocking.

• Members

Please send Aaron to jail. I'm so over him, Cain, Chas and that whole damn clan save maybe Lisa and Zack and Belle.

FINN listen to your mother! 

I dont know what to think of this Bernice Lawrence situation. So she accepts his proposal even though she doesn't love him because she's desperate for protection and love? Lawrence deserves better than that and so does she. That last scene with the hug was sad beyond words. Don't know how old Bernice is (didn't you say her relationship with Andy was inappropriate because she was younger than Andy DRW50?) I ask cuz she looks older than him. No offense to the actress.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

I don't know if I felt it was inappropriate, but I guess some may have. The main stumbling block was his love for Katie. Bernice is probably about 10-15 years older than Andy. I do think they have chemistry. Today's scenes were very tender and sweet, and her scene with Lawrence was heartbreaking. The whole thing reminds me of an old MGM picture with Joan Crawford.

I hated the Aaron scene today. The show is so horribly exploitive toward self-harm and suicide. They make it into nothing more than tacky melodrama and a plot point. It's becoming offensive.

The writing for Diane and Doug was AWFUL. I hate that the show has no trust in viewers and is trying to manipulate us to pity Chas and Aaron. Too many stories are about plot and the characters are losing all identity.

Edited by DRW50