Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks. I haven't watched a lot of 2001 (although I have some laying around) but I have watched some of 2002 and the show does seem flat. Was he the one who brought in the Daggerts (who didn't seem that popular)? I assume the "soap star family" was an ITV mandate.

I never knew that about Sam. He's come and gone quite a few times. When he's properly written he's an asset to the show (as he has been again lately with the Megan pregnancy story), but when he's not, he can be unbearable. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Emma is just too fierce for 3/4ths of the heffas in this village. Especially now that Val is gone I daresay she's pretty much Queen Bee. She can read these two bit bimbos like there's no tomorrow.

I just feel so bad for her that these stupid boys of hers are so obsessed with "Debs" way overused goodies. I mean this trick is a joke. And she's so selfish. Then you've got the psycho father in law waiting in the shadows....like who seriously wants to deal with Cain. Not to mention dear old nasty Charity. I just couldn't. It's not the kids fault but the fact that she has two of them is just even more baggage.

And to think Pete was willing to put up with all of that and she just threw it away.

Its kinda pissing me off how Diane and Vic are just sorta discarding Andys feelings when it comes to Katie. I dunno it just seemed to me like they were like "whatevs...whats happened to Robert!?" when he told him the truth. The more I think about it the more I realize Andy is right. Robert (and his fans) want to believe that Katie's death was an accident but I think deep down we all know it wasn't no accident. That fool meant to push her and he knew what would happen most likely. Even now he's just lying. Its despicable.

• Members

No, deep down I know it was an accident. He had no way of knowing she would fall through rotting floorboards. He was shocked. The show has half-assed everything about this story - if they want viewers to see Robert as a "psycho," as Aaron and Chas were whining last night, they've done a poor job of it. The writing has been all over the place with Robert and it still is.

Andy has no proof. They know he's unstable. They both like and trust Aaron. I'm not surprised they would struggle to believe him. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yesterday was my last straw with Aaron, Chas and Paddy. The way that they infantilize him disgusts me. Poor Aaron! Robert manipulated Aaron because he wuz in luv and Robert is scary! Aaron only lied because Robert is so mean!

Yet Chas then made sure Aaron lied to Victoria, who was supposed to be his friend, just to save Aaron's neck, even though this drove the Sugden family further apart.

Aaron hasn't acted afraid of Robert in months. To dredge this back up so we'll have a reminder that nothing Aaron does is his fault, we have these scenes that basically reduce Aaron to a weak, pathetic child. 

In contrast to the scenes with Robert and Andy, which were so rich, it just showed how horribly damaged these characters (especially Chas) have become this year.

Oh, and I was actually getting into whatever is going on between Rakesh and Chrissie, but her continued enabling her of dangerous, gun-wielding, rapist son killed that. Does she EVER do ANYTHING but whine about her life and whine about Robert? Even trying to blame his behavior on Robert when she knows he was like this before Robert was in their lives. How many more people will be hurt because she's too weak to do anything about her precious boy?

• Members

Did Aaron and Chas get dropped on the head? 

- there's a phone bill that directly links Aaron to the day before Katie died

- they want to keep Aaron out of prison, so they lie to Andy and to the Sugdens. 

- Robert is shopped to the police, denies everything, and is freed 

- Instead of being saddened at having to lie but relieved Aaron is still in the clear, they are SHOCKED and ENRAGED that Robert was not brought up on charges. 

Are they so arrogant that they think Aaron would not go down, or are they just really really stupid?

Speaking of stupid, why is that dumbass Chrissie sitting around drinking, whining about how nothing is her precious son's fault, it's all Robert, when said precious son had easy access to a gun and just told her he never hurt Alicia (which means he's likely revving up to rape yet another woman - his third)? Shouldn't that be her main priority, rather than her never-ending pity parties?

To top it off, why am I supposed to be upset with what Robert said to Aaron when Robert has said it all 4 or 5 different times, and every time, Aaron was upset for a brief time but quickly stripped off and got into prime position for a Sugden dicking?

How would Lawrence have no idea that a director in his company was arrested for murder?

It's all just crap this week. Inane, plot-driven, nonsensical crap. Thank goodness for Kerry making me laugh.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It was so refreshing when Emma ripped into Cain on a daily basis when she thought he'd killed Ross. (As much as I do like Cain).

I enjoyed Debbie as a character during the Cameron saga, but I STILL feel that Debbie should have gone to prison for her and Cameron literally driving Gennie to her death. Now I can't wait for Charley Webb's maternity leave to begin.

• Members

Another set of lackluster episodes for me. I've had my fill of Aaron at this point - his nostril-flaring and fuming at Robert after he chose to lie to Andy made me laugh. He's a child. And Chas going on and on to Robert about how hard it was for HER (screw the Sugdens, or her beloved Katie) was almost as bad. They have both come across as deluded hypocrites all week. 

The show had nearly a year to plan this and yet the whole thing felt rushed and underwhelming. The performances were flat and there was no urgency. Even when Robert was "dying," more time was spent on Diane and Victoria worrying about Andy, or Chrissie mewling about how she couldn't stay (then why did you come in the first place, other than to act as the martyr yet again??).

The only scene I'd call good was Robert eviscerating perpetually impotent Lawrence. It was nasty but it had an energy the other scenes lacked, and as always, John Bowe and Ryan Hawley have far more chemistry than the show likely anticipated, which adds a ton of ambiguity that even the actors (if John Bowe's interview last week was any indication) don't pick up on.

I'd say I want this to be over but this week has been so mediocre/poor I don't know if I want to see what happens next.