Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think I could take Jai with different material. The pseudo-Dallas-meets-Miami Vice stuff he gets just doesn't work for me. Today the snorting coke scenes made me laugh. I don't know how you play that. With that said, I am enjoying seeing Priya and Rishi pushing back.

I agree with the fans who said the breakup was rushed, but I was still so upset with the Alicia and David final scenes - Natalie Anderson acted her heart out. I'm going to miss Alicia. I'm not sure what they'll do with David now. I almost wish he'd gone with her. 

Adam and Victoria not seeing Vanessa on the side of the road was ludicrous, but good acting from her in the hospital scenes. And I'm glad Victoria got some POV for once. The guy playing the doctor was hilariously bad though.

Eric seeing Val's dog (Cheryl) at her grave got me a little emotional.

So what do you think of Kirin and Belle? 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kirin and Belle disturbs me. I know they are almost close in age but it's just awkward for me. I guess b/c I've watched Belle grow up onscreen, it's weird seeing her get affectionate with someone not in her age range. But they have potential. 

I think with David that they will probably either toss him back with Leyla or Priya. I'm open to David being with almost anyone except for Debbie. 

But I am going to miss Alicia/Natalie Anderson. She has become one of my faves in recent years. But I am optimistic that she'll be back in 2-3 years tops. Once her son is in school and busy, Natalie will want to return and ED will take her back with open arms.

• Members

Having gotten into Emmerdale since the helicopter crash I've been looking at some past youtube vids of the show. What are some of the shows best years to start with? From an outsiders standpoint, one of my favorite scenes the Chris Tate's dying in 2003, which seems to be a good year with some of the other stuff that was going on.

• Members

If you have time I'd say try the early years, as a lot of 1972-1974 is on Youtube. If you don't, then I'd say you may enjoy 2004-2007, a lot of which is on Youtube and which features a lot of the current cast. Many also enjoyed 2009-2010 (I generally did not), a lot of which is also on Youtube.

There is also some '90s material (I've been slowly uploading some of what I have of the late '90s and others have some up as well) - you can't really go wrong with Kim Tate. This channel has a lot of classic ED from the '80s to the '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8e_33wSWkte9U0t_Yfh8A

This is my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUw5WJ8jG6WQTqmnd28Sy2g/videos

This has a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKxXRm0Acop72Lik4FkogQw/videos

I'd also recommend watching the plane crash episodes, as they made ED what it now is.

• Members

I feel for Eric, but then they've also overshown it and he's also been pretty unpleasant. Pete has been keeping to himself and not shouting all the time like he used to do. This story has made Debbie and Ross look awful but it's made Pete look more human and I care about him more.

Tired of the Debbie/Emma conflict. 

Anyway, I did like the scene between Marlon and Eric. The scenes Marlon referenced are here:

• Members

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/coronation-street-and-emmerdale-appoint-new-producers

Kate Oates is moving to Corrie, as many expected. Iain MacLeod, who has been a producer at HO the last few years and was a story editor at Corrie from 2009-2013 (and in research from 2006 on), is taking over.

HO has been a living hell for years so I have no idea who to blame, but some of the worst aspects of Emmerdale this year (too much plot and not enough friendship and family, too much crime, too much shock value) are very Hollyoaks-esque, so this makes me wary. More than that it's that much of that era of Corrie was unpleasant and unwatchable, although I will put a lot of that on that hack Phil Collinson.

If any of you know anything about him please tell us.

• Members

I won't bore you all twice with what I've written in another thread but what I wil say in duplication is I wish Kate Oates well and hope for the best as I will pray for Emmerdale. Let's merely hope Iain McLeod has been working to the directive of Bryan Kirkwood over on Hollyoaks and that his style isn't at such odds with what we see now that a messy transition and fall-out takes place.

Who knows, perhaps the best is yet to come. Though with what I expect to be some of the Hollyoaks storyliners following him, I do wonder. 

Read more: Coronation Street: Discussion Thread - Page 92 - DTS: Foreign Soaps - SON Community http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/topic/27045-coronation-street-discussion-thread/?page=92#ixzz3m8qFnPdY

• Members

So what did you think of Steve Frost's time at ED? All I ever remember is he fired Malandra Burrows.

I do wonder how many HO people will be coming over. I know an ED storyliner is an actor on HO now. I read a rumor at DS that some Emmerdale writers are thinking of leaving because of how OTT the show has become. I hope that isn't true, because Emmerdale's writers are what keep it going. Paul Roundell, Jane Pearson, Karin Young, etc.

• Members

This is largely my (time-worn and hazy) opinion but Steve Frost had a few drawbacks. 

1) He followed the much lauded Kieran Roberts at Emmerdale and his tone was (dare I say) flatter than his predecessor. The stories and characters suddenly didn't seem to resonate in the same way (something that he somehow managed to achieve at Coronation Street, despite following on from Tony Wood's sitcom/Carry on Corrie stint)

2) The producer he was unfavourably compared to was then doing what he was doing at Coronation Street at the same time. 

Aside from axing Malandra Burrows, he took the (brave?) decision to axe the character of Sam Dingle (a decision reversed, I believe, by Kathleen Beedles). I don't think he was bad, and he introduced the King Family, so I suspect some fans will thank him for that.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on him.