Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Am a little behind on the show, so only just watched the episode where Ross dangled Pete off the viaduct. I found the whole thing completely unnecessary and distasteful - that level of violence, and Ross's sadistic delight, was just so off-putting to me. 

I enjoyed the scenes that followed, where Pete and Moira (who I'm convinced are going to have an affair) told the rest of the Bartons what had happened, but am so over the OTT violence on this show.

Don't get me wrong, I love scenes like the one where Chrissie pressed down on a hospitalised Robert's chest - it was menacing and subtle. Enough of all these criminal boys beating each other up, though!

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The hospital scene annoyed me because they tried to present Chrissie as somehow being "good" when she's really just as nasty as Robert. The show just can't admit how nasty the Whites are.

I think the family is fairly tolerant of Emma, considering her behavior, but I do think it was stupid of Finn to yammer about what she'd done at that moment. Of course how was he to know Debbie has superhearing?

That is a nice photo of Katharine Barker. I wish they'd bring her back as Dolly.

• Members

So I've been trying to watch some stand out moments from Kate Oates tenure as Producer since I've only been watching since the helicopter crash. Just recently watched a few videos from the Declan/Charity storyline which seems like it was a good story, and solidified my love for Charity even though she's been absent since I started watching.

What was the publics reaction to Declan/Charity? The show was just coming off another psycho storyline with Cameron (which I've watched bits and pieces of and does not paint Debbie  in a positive light) when it seems that they decided to turn Declan into a psycho.

• Members

I agree that it's a mistake. This show needs characters like Ashley. The way things are going soon everyone will be some sort of criminal or psychopath. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's not believable in a show like Emmerdale which takes place in a small Yorkshire-village. Coronation Street or EastEnders perhaps, but not Emmerdale.

• Members

I've been watching many of the show's vintage eps on youtube. The earliest episodes from the 1970s were a chore to get into at first, being too cold and dry for my taste, but you get into it the more you watch.

I've gotten through the death of Annie Sugden's daughter, Peggy, which was rather grim to watch considering that all three of her adult children would die before her. BUT! What I found gratuitously gruesome was the death of Peggy's twins. Whose stupid idea was that? I hate when soaps kill babies, but to kill off both of Peggy's children for no discernible reason just irked me.

The Sugden family is cursed, I swear.

• Members

It never made any sense to me either. I think they did it to free up Matt, and because they likely felt viewers would eventually start wondering where his children were and why they weren't coming back. It was stupid. At least Corrie never made the mistake of killing off Peter and Susan as children (although they never did anything of value with Susan anyway).

When you get to early 1974 I've been uploading some episodes on another channel. There's a character named Dryden you may like.

• Members

Glad to see Nicola back, even if it's more OTT mess. She always entertains me. I wish I could say the same for Rodney - this show has lost so many wonderful older characters in recent years and he is still there. 

The scenes with Robert and Andy were terrific. It was nice to see a Robert POV for once, and all the decades of history were so believable. It's hard to believe Ryan Hawley has only been on a year - he plays all that past so naturally. Kelvin Fletcher and Ryan are at their best together.

• Members

Yes, upon reflection, I also figured that freeing up Matt by eliminating all remnants of his past was the motivation for killing off the twins. Still...ugh! Jack Sugden had a son named Jackie whom they axed too. And why kill off poor Joe Sugden, out there in Spain? If writers had decimated the Waltons like this, viewers would have been hysterical with rage.

I know that Annie married Amos, a few decades after he first proposed to her, and he moved to Spain with her. Is he still alive? Most references to Annie I've heard seem to suggest that she lives out there alone.

Edited by vetsoapfan