Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That article is out of context - Danny Miller said that he assumes the show may go back there in the future because the show knows the pairing is popular, but that for now the relationship is "shelved." 

Robert would obliterate Finn, both sexually and psychologically. If it let us see Joe Gill naked I'd take it though.

I'd like them to bring back the hooker, Connor, for Finn. I'd pair Aaron with a new man and pair Robert with Carly. Then maybe down the line Robert and Aaron could hook up again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ashley/Eric at the graveyard, mentioning how Tom King died, were brilliant scenes. Eric's reunion with David was so heartfelt, I teared up. For all it's worth, I like that Eric truly mourned for the love of his life. It's so rare these days then anyway gives a crap for a loved one passing for more than a week.

Seeing Betty was a treat. Though it was odd not to have Victoria in that scene. Even more odd was Ashley's camera recording in black and white. Da fuq?

• Members

Having watched all of the Christmas episodes this year even though I don't watch all the soaps (hey, I had time this year, and schedules were quite poor) I can say with no hesitation that Emmerdale was the best watch for me, hands down.

It got the balance right and the reference to Tom King's death surprised me. As a regular watcher at that time, I had forgotten that Edna held a torch for him. At the time (or just after) Len Reynolds had a thing for her, which was breeding issues for Pearl who was in love with Len. If I remember correctly, my memory is shaky on that one.

And I too, have enjoyed Eric's story, and didn't think I would when it first began. 

Perhaps my opinion is largely influenced by the fact that I don't watch the others (or have been bored by them) regularly this year.

And the last few months have been a triumph in regards to the retention of (the implausibly attractive) Leyla, when it would have been easier to simply write her out when Alicia and Jake left. And rather interestingly, they have her maintained friendships rather than pair her with David or Nikhil (yet). Again, an easier option than what they have done. So either it's undeniable character viability or the skill of the writing/senior production team. If it's the latter, it'll be interesting to see if the incoming Iain McLeod has plans for her. And this extends to a few of the other characters, who have been (seemingly impossibly) tied to the tapestry, creating an ensemble. 

• Members

Paul Roundell is a wonderful writer who always adds believability and good dialogue, and we saw that again here, as I felt a lot more connected to certain stories than I often do (like Aaron's unease over Gordon, which is clearly not just being petulant or bratty). I also thought he did what he could with Joanie/Zak/Lisa, as Belle's anger and nasty barbs were a good buildup to the reveal (Ross also had some hilarious lines and facial expressions), and in the aftermath, Denise Black and Jane Cox gave wonderful performances. Jane gets so few opportunities to show her talent and she got to here, instead of just shouting or throwing things. My problem with this story is it just seemed to have little to no buildup - we barely saw Joanie for a month or two and suddenly Zak is falling for her. It just feels unearned to me. 

A part of me felt like we'd been waiting forever, a little too long, for Eric to see the light, but Chris Chittell was wonderful, and his scene with Ashley was a strong one. I have a feeling that scene was originally meant for Edna. I miss her so much already. Eric reconciling with Diane and David, and David's little scene with the chocolate man (so funny), and Cheryl stealing scenes and Val's shoes - good stuff.

I wish we'd seen more family Christmases (Sugdens, Bartons) instead of that odd hybrid with Vanessa/Adam/Cain/Moira/Victoria/Finn, which seemed to have an odd cut in the middle that led to Vanessa being elated after Cain reduced an unhappy Finn to a gay joke. 

One of the best parts was Betty's brief return. She was terrific, in great form. And while it was just a quick scene, I did enjoy Liz Dawn as well.

• Members

It's been great. I didn't expect it. Roxy Shahidi adds so much to all her scenes and Leyla, along with the loose friendship group of Nikhil, David, Carly, Tracy, Finn, helps the show seem more modern and not like any other soap. And I love her bond with David. I think she and Nikhil will get romantic and this will ultimately lead to his exit, but I hope she won't be ruined in the process (and please keep her from Jai...).