EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I marathoned all-day, and I am all-caught up at this point!  All six ladies of "the six" storyline did amazing work, but it is the works of Kellie Bright & Letitia Dean that have stood out for me, both on the Christmas episode and the immediate follow-up.

Gina is the definition of the girl who is attracted to the problem children. First with Jay and now with Dean; it's standard rebellion of her parental figures (Cindy, Elaine, George). I am intrigued with Dean's re-entry into the canvas, and it's partially while I am anticipating Shirley's return in 2024, possibly with Johnny in-tow (since Johnny is returning). Makes me wonder what's bound to happen, re: Linda.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ok, so since you are all caught up, and regarding what you said how they all showed female solidarity.... I really disliked how Sharon treated Linda after the murder. I felt so bad for Linda. What did you think about it?

But yes, Leticia Dean and Kellie Bright were awesome

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Manny

• Members

Not surprised. I heard some rumblings 6 months ago, that me think this could more of a mutual decision, than a straight up firing that The Sun is presenting. The combination of alleged BTS problems coupled with Max's clear mental health struggles, made this inevitable. 

Makes we wonder what happens to Tony Clay/Callum? Ballum fans are going to want them both to leave together for a happy exit, but with Johnny coming back, Callum's backstory is linked to the Carters (grew up next to the Carters, school/army mates with Lee). There are dozens, if not hundreds of examples in movies, tv, literature of characters falling for their sibling's best friend or sibling of their best friend. You can easy say Callum and Johnny had crushes on each other when younger before either came out.  Could also explain why EE never gave Callum parental responsibility of Lexi like they did Jay, gives Callum a clean break if they are keeping him. 

• Members

I've had no use for Ben ever since his return - the human trafficking and him threatening to torture and murder an old woman and make her son watch (and all of this being treated as fun and hot are the big reasons why, along with Bowden having no chemistry with any of the people Ben was meant to care about) - but it has been obvious for a few years now Bowden was going through things. After last year when he ended up getting into it over Walford Web's character rate, I was especially concerned. I feel like they have been phasing Ben out for a while, to the point where I wonder if this is why they finally brought Johnny back. Still, this seems abrupt. I don't really have a problem with Callum, but I won't be surprised if he heads out as well, if not with Ben than later in the year. 

Ben needs a very long rest as a character. 

Harry Reid wasn't the greatest actor but he did fit the two sides of Ben and had good chemistry with those in Ben's life.

Max Bowden mostly represented many of the fetishes that the newly arrived producer tends to put out in her work. He quickly replayed a number of the same stories she gave that type of sneering, sociopathic "hunk" when she was at Emmerdale. It was very unpleasant to watch.

• Members

I thought Max had good chemistry with Tony and Gillian T, but even that waned over the years and he never had chemistry with Jamie or Steve. While Ballum were and still are popular, outside of that fanbase, Ben became far too divisive of a character for the general public. His rape story is about the only one I've watched where the victim got just as much hate by viewers as the rapist did. Poking around various boards and social media, there are just as many comments of people happy he's leaving as those who are upset. Ben does need a rest and if they bring him back, just get Harry Reid back. 

I like Callum a lot. I hate how since he got with Ben, his character development slowed. I don't blame people for calling him boring. It's easy to see why, every Ballum story was about Ben. That's not how you write a couple in the long term. It needs to be more 50/50 and it never was. I have no idea what they'll do with him, but he's salvageable and there is a place for him. Put him back in orbit with the Carters, like how he originally was, build up a romance with Johnny. Bring his mom on (something many fans have been asking for) reveal Johnno isn't his dad (something many fans have also suspected), but it's X instead (Alfie, Jack, etc, take your pick). I think writing Callum out would be a damn shame. 

• Members

Omg!! I am shocked!

I really liked Max as Ben, I thought he was doing a great job. But Ben can use a rest as a character. I was disappointed to read everything that Ben did over the years, becoming a full on criminal. So I would be fine if they dont recast, at least for now.

Callum hasn't done anything really since I started watching in summer, but from some small scenes here and there, Tony Clay was a good actor. I wouldn't mind if he leaves with Ben, but if he stays is also fine with me.

• Members

I think it was more along the lines of Robert or Ross - a complete sociopath and sadist we were supposed to see as hot. Then once that seemed to spin out of the show's control, the human trafficking and ugliness, they put him more into misery mode.