EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Really loving all the focus on the Beales. Introducing the Knights were the shot in the arm that Beale family needed. 

Hope we get a fancy new cafe set. 

The show has done wonders in regards to Alfie's character, and him and Linda make great friends. I'm not completely sold *yet* on making them romantically involved. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Up until now, I really haven't cared one way or another about Linda, but what a really shtty decision to have her say that she lied about Dean raping her!

I'm not enjoying the show as much as I was when I initially got back into it during the summer, but it's still easy to watch. I've been diving deep into classic episodes a lot over the last week or so, just watching random ep after random ep after random ep, mostly from the 1993-1997 period but also some 80s and early 00s. I feel like my appreciation for what EastEnders really is has gotten deeper, and it sucks bc with that comes a less impressed view of the current show, but it is what it is.

I never thought I'd love Pauline so much. It's not like this is my first time watching episode with her - I watched maybe the first 50 about ten years ago - but seeing her through her different eras really paints a fuller picture of her character. They really did do her (and Wendy) wrong by killing her off the way they did.

• Members

Is it not an obvious setup for him to be this dead body they've been hyping up all year? Since he's blackmailing her into claiming she lied?

The show seems so silly to me now. I can't imagine what the point is of giving Phil what has to be his sixth or seventh small kid, let alone the strange mirror universe we now live in where Phil and Kat have apparently been paired up for a year or two.

• Members

The current show is heartless - a shell. Stories like the one with Linda forced to lie that she wasn't raped (encouraged by her failed drag queen mother) are why I barely bother. 

The only way to be able to get through most of the last decade is to put a mental barrier between 1985 and the mid or late '00s and everything since. For me that would probably be the repulsive Archie storyline.

That is the point, yes. I've seen people go on about how "realistic" her actions are and how no one should complain because it's good drama, but it's not.

Phil already has a child with Denise that he never sees or mentions. This is the end result of so-called "legacy children" who are supposed to be important because of their last name.

• Members

I've seen speculation that it could be Theo, too, which went away when it looked like Freddie killed him, but I guess since he survived, it could still be him. I think it's a safe bet that it's one or the other.

I think Albie is only Phil's 4th kid? Ben, Louise, the kid with Denise (whose name I don't know), and Albie. Still silly, though. Phil and Kat together is weird as hell, and it smacks of putting random characters together for the sake of NOT having them together with their definitive partner. What's the point of Kat being with Phil if she's still spending most of her time on screen with Alfie? And now Phil has a secret love child with Sharon. There's no reason to care about Phil and Kat as a couple of that's the way it's going to go.

I absolutely loathe Elaine, and yes, she gives drag queen. I'm not crazy about George, either - he's too comfortable in the Vic and the Square in general for someone who just showed up a few months ago.

• Members

Taking a break from the show, as I was disgusted with the show playing fast and loose with Linda's rape. I'll probably tune in once Denise returns and we get more of the Jack/Sam/Denise/Ricky/Lily story, but the Linda/Dean story is losing me. Panesars story is as well. 

Still looking forward to Christmas though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw lots of criticism for Linda denying her rape, but u found those scenes powerful. This recent arc with Dean has helped me become invested in her character. I feel like the writers were very clear that he did rape her and this is simply him further victimizing her. If anything, it just made me hate Dean more. 

• Members

That's the problem for me. I don't need to hate Dean more. The show spent a year and a half with him as a serial rapist. The show has done almost nothing with Linda all year, then bring back her rapist to traumatize her even more for the sake of a "whodunit." It's the type of shock value writing and misogyny that makes the show so empty for me now.

• Members

I get that, but the reason I connected with this is because in real life this is likely what would happen. 

In real life it’s common for men to get off when accused of rape and since his family is in the same small community, it’s likely that she would have to deal with him again. Now I’ll admit you didn’t need this and could’ve settled on just the 5 other women for this story, but I like that they included her and dug into a past story to make it work.