EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

For all it's worth, I do admire the show for ignoring the obvious that without her children and Mick, Linda is aimless as a character, and the show is pretty much throwing everything in her direction to make sure she remains relevant; from introducing her mom and soon-to- be step dad and family, to bringing back her rapist. 

Here's my prediction as to where things could go, possibly leading up to the anniversary in 2025.

Please register in order to view this content

I have a feeling that it will be Suki who is the enforcer or the schemer of the group; as she has shown a devious side when she first arrived having faked having cancer. It's that side of her may jeopardize her relationship with Eve since Nish might be out of the picture. 

Denise and Stacey will have their squabbles because Stacey bedded Denise's husband. That'll create immense conflict. I wonder if Jack will redeem himself down the road by losing his job all just to cover for Denise. Kathy and maybe Sharon might be the ones who are levelheaded in this scheme.

If Dean did not see the murder, then I can definitely see Linda accidentally alluding to it when Dean accuses her of harboring another secret (her drinking). 

Then there's also Keanu's dad (the show could cast a big name actor for the role) who is in prison for being violent...could he also come back to enact revenge, most importantly against Sharon....possibly bringing back Karen too to make an unholy alliance with him. 

There are so many routes to take with this story in 2024 and possibly into early 2025.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would love to see Karen back now. I mean, I guess for a while, everyone will think Keanu left town after the break up with Sharon. But at some point when his body is found, I would like to see Karen back to react to the whole thing.

My main reason for eliminating Keanu as a suspect was that Karen only now left the show, so it didn't make sense. But if they hide his body long enough for Karen to come back at some point (because I don't know if the show fired Lorraine Stanley or she left on her own, as I don't really follow backstage gossip). 

Since I have seen a lot of "EastEnders Christmas Death" complaints, I went and checked how many of these deaths have actually happened

It has been a lot of death indeed around the holidays (either Christmas or NY) after 2002.. although they seem to have slowed down a bit in these last 2-3 years (as the last death was Tina in 2020 and before that Roxy and Ronnie in 2017). 

Christmas Deaths (I counted 24, 25 or 26 December):

2002 - Jamie Mitchell

2006 - Pauline Fowler

2009 - Archie Mitchell

2011 - Yusef Khan

2012 - Derek Branning

2015 - Arthur Chubb

2023 - Keanu Taylor

New Years Deaths (I counted 31 Dec or 1 Jan):

1998/1999 - Tiffany Mitchell

2003/2004 - Barry Evans

2004/2005 - David Collins

2005/2006 - Dennis Rickman

2007/2008 - Kevin Wicks

2011/2012 - Pat Evans

2013/2014 - Carl White

2014/2015 - Emma Summerhayes

2016/2017 - Roxy & Ronnie Mitchell

Between Christmas & New Year (27 - 30 Dec):

2020 - Tina Carter

• Members

I'd give the marketing a 5/5 and the episode itself a 3/5.  It's been a while since I've seen a soap successfully hype up something so mediocre. I share many of DRW50's thoughts.   It doesn't bother me that Keanu is dead (he was never a great character) but he was the most boring choice to kill off. Jack dying could have provided years of aftermath given all his connections, while Nish or Dean dying would have given viewers a "the evil villain is finally dead" moment. Keanu has basically no family and friends while also not really that evil compared to Dean or Nish. I barely care he's dead the day after, let alone 6 months from now. 

The Panesars all need to go except for Suki and Ravi.  I didn't care about any of their scenes. 

I normally love big reveal at soap weddings, but this one felt so flat to me. Mostly because I feel I've seen Phil or Sharon involved in so many weddings secrets, I just lack interest now. I also found it odd as hell that Phil and Kat returned to the Mitchell home to open presents and nobody asked them what went down at the wedding. I would have much rather have watched the Mitchells react to the news of Albie being Phil's son, than watch the most boring character on EE (Jay Brown) get the most boring story I've ever heard of (running a marathon).  Which brings me to my next point, why was the "first Christmas without Lola" all about Jay? This was Lexi's first without her mom, but EE seemed to not care at all. 

I didn't really like the "girl power" moment either, where the women have Suki call Nish over. I understand what they were attempting, but makes no sense that the these women, whom all have been abused or manipulated by men, would put themselves in harm way like that. I would have liked it better if Nish had simply broken in and the six rallied to protect Suki. 

Edited by wingwalker

• Members

I think in the case of Lexi, they don't give her as much focus on her own because the actress isn't great, although she has her moments. 

I like Jay a lot, and I think this is a better type of moving-on story for him than the ketamine plot which was mostly about Ben and Billy being hypocritical scum, but I agree that we needed more from Phil about Albie. 

• Members

I also find the choice of death boring. If you'd really wanted to shock me, kill Phil.

@DRW50 is right that EE has become rote with these holiday stunts. There is a reason Doctor Who was already making jokes about the death surrounding Walford Christmases like @NothinButAttitude mentioned as far back as 15 years ago. They're famous for them and when they hit they do very well (I won't be forgetting the deaths of the Mitchell sisters any time soon), but watching first Dennis then all the veteran matriarchs needlessly die off in fairly speedy succession across holiday seasons has left me pretty numb to it. Plus I find most of the big bombshells now are diminishing returns. The show knows people expect them to do these big setpieces and leans into it, but the stories and executions makes me care less and less. 

I don't think you have to get rid of something that is a key part of the show's traditions and garners them huge numbers, but you do have to find a way to make me care beyond shock value. I haven't cared much about EE in a long time. Their promo game remains impeccable, but the content is the problem.

As for Linda, I admit I only keep half an eye on the show from time to time but I feel like inevitably she will be the one on the Christmas butcher block in a couple years. I just don't think she has a long-term future without Mick.

Edited by Vee

• Members

You are right, which is a shame because the grieving story over Mick could have been very powerful. Instead, she was barely used until time for her drag queen mother and being stalked by her rapist. This is where modern EE's lack of heart really comes into play.

• Members

The follow up episode brought less positives for me. Mostly because of Sharon and her reaction. I found it to be revolting, really. I mean, this is your best friend, who was saving your life. And even though there is a brief moment where I thought Sharon was back to her common sense after such a shock, it did not last. Horrible! And again, poor Linda. 

I did like how the Six was so chaotic and some wanted to call the cops, while others did not and they disagreed and bickered. We all know this was self-defense and they all know that too. But there two bodies there... it does make it less believable that they all attacked 2 different men for self defense within one hour. So I can see how this could look bad on all of them. Then again, I see Stacey or Kathy's point with "I didn't do anything, why should I not just leave". 

So Keanu gets buried in the rubles, where I assume he will stay for a while. Although I assume since Kathy sold the cafe to Nish, he will eventually start to rebuild the cafe. And possibly find the body... so not sure this was the best idea. But lets see. 

The Six are not united at all, which is interesting, so I am curious which one will spill the beans first. 

I do wonder where the stories will go from here... since everything seems to be settled...

Stacey/Jack/Diane seems dead in the water... Maybe Stacey will have to deal with Theo again somehow? I assume this is not over as the actor is still with the show, from what I understand...

Keanu/Sharon stuff is over... will she now bond with Phil over Albie? Ew! Especially after tonight, I do not give a [!@#$%^&*] about Sharon. Especially Sharon and Phil.

Suki and Eve I assume will continue their relationship, and Nish won't be able to do anything about it. I do wonder what happens when Nish and Ravi see each other again after Ravi helped Suki escape. And will the video of Ravi killing that man ever come out? Also, will Suke confide in Eve about what happened...? I am interested in this for sure.

Kathy and Rocky are over, so I have no idea what is left for Kathy now. I guess she will deal with Beales?

Poor Linda will continue on her downward spiral it seems. Clearly Dean and Gina are going to be a thing. That will be another hit for her.

• Members

Soaps Christmas Ratings

Thanks to @I Am A Swede, I copied this article also here from the Emmerdale and Corie threads.

I am happy EE is back on top for the soaps! At least for a day!  I didn't watch Emmerdale or Corie, so I cannot judge on the quality, but I loved EE holiday episode, so I'd say it is deserved  

• Members

I found myself losing interest pretty quickly in the week or so leading up to Christmas. I've never been a fan of the UK soap mentality of death and destruction for the holidays, so nothing at all about the "body on the floor" has filled me with excitement or anticipation. I knew it was coming, but I just didn't care. I'll be more interested in the aftermath and how everyone moves on past this, since the day-by-day won't be "all roads lead to the body on the floor" anymore (hopefully). Like others have said, knowing that everything was being set up for this made it hard to take many things seriously. Stacey and Jack, for example. It would have been easier to take Jack sleeping with a random slappa from the Vic than Stacey, who knows Denise and is a regular character and has to "regret" it afterward. Just let him get off with a random thot!

I'll catch up this weekend, probably, but I'm really just looking forward to seeing Jay. That's the kind of Christmas drama I like - reflecting on a crappy year but having hope for the future. I don't need sht on fire as "Bodies" by Drowning Pool plays in the background.

• Members

Honestly, has EE ever had an Xmas episode that wasn't doom and gloom? I am asking for the long-term fans. I've watched the show on and off since about '02 (when they'd show episodes on PBS in my area and later on YT). But I don't think I've ever read of the show having a simplistic Christmas that was family-oriented with little family drama. 

@MichaelGL would Jake Wood even consider coming back? He seems happy outside the show and refining his sexy with all those thirst pics he posts on Instagram. 

But now thinking about it, bringing Lauren back does make sense for a later return for him. I just hope that if he does return Max isn't once again wasted on Linda. Or Stacey. Or Kat. Or Sharon. Just bring him back with a new woman if anything. I'd even be OK if he came back with Tanya. 

• Members

Oh I would for Max to come back! And I agree with you that if he returns, he should move away from the ladies on the show and move on with someone else. Especially Stacey. And I would looove for Tanya to come back! I love her!  But I have seen Jo Joyner in some shows on Netflix, so I guess she has a career outside of EE, so I doubt she would come back.

Also, I need to look up Jake Woods on IG, it seems

I am okay with this exit for Rocky. Never cared for this character, so I am fine if the ladies turn on him and basically make him pay for a crime he really did commit. It would be weird if they framed him for something he didn't do just to get rid of him, but the way they seem to be going, he will just pay for crimes he did commit.