Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

And that wasn't even a legal marriage. Jill and Frank went off by themselves and legally got married off camera in January of 1984.

I wonder whose idea it was for the hospital bedside wedding and the off-camera ceremony (this one would have been written Pat Falken Smith ) because in 1983 both Nancy Addison and Claire Labine said Jill and Frank should have a big, big wedding.

Edited by safe

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

But didn't ABC own the rights to Ryan's Hope? And SoapNet was a subsidiary of Disney-ABC. That's just stupid [the situation that is]. I'm wondering if Ryan's Hope might've used a ton of music like most soaps did in the 80s and they didn't wanna pay musical right fees.

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

DRW50 said

Also in the movie, Lovespell, were Diana Van Der Vlis (Nell. Sherry), Kathryn Dowling ( years before she played Lily Darnell #2 on RH), and John Scanlon (JP, the original Ryan's Bar bartender when the series began)

I knew the movie was made quite a few years before it's 1981 release date, but had no idea it was made back when Kate was still on RH. Someone had posted on the old Soapnet forum that in 1979 Claire Labine was very distracted by another project and the show seemed to suffer because of that so I thought that was the year she made the movie (and Kate's official website, Totally Kate lists filmed the movie as being filmed in 1979 ) but that had to be some other project Claire was working on because it doesn't fit with Kate's timeline of the film.

There was another timeline issue for me. Kate said her mother came to visit her in Ireland to celebrate her 21st birthday while she was filming Lovespell ( Kate's birthday is April 29, 1955 )

Kate, later in the chapter, says how hard it was for her adjust back to New York after she returned home from filming. She said boyfriend David* suggested, soon after she got home, they should go away to a B&B for the weekend and that was when & where Kate said she became pregnant. Kate gave birth in early May of 1977 so that would be a late July conception date. So, she was filming Love Spell in Ireland from some time in April until some time in July of 1976 -- she certainly wasn't missing from the RH screen at all during those many months

*Kate's boyfriend name in all the soap magazine back during RH had been given named Ben – in her book she says her boyfriend's name was David (with a completely different last name, too)

Edited by safe

• Members

Yes, that was the "official" reason given. Apparently it was the head of daytime that encouraged them to use a great deal of popular music during that time.

Besides the copyright music expenses, residuals could have also been part of it.

Many years ago, Ilene Kristen told a poster at the old Soapnet forum she couldn't wait for 1982 episodes to begin on Soapnet so she'd start making some real money off them. Of course, Soapnet rebooted every time before it ever got to those episodes.

And another poster, who was a huge Pater Haskell (Hollis) fan, had become friends with Peter and his wife. She had lunch with them and when she told him she was excited that his episodes would be coming up in a few months (this was back in 2007) - - he told her that the contracts beginning in 1982 (the year he joined the show) had residual payment clauses for the actors and he doubted Soapnet would ever air the 1982- 1989 episodes for that very reason.

• Members

Sarah should have had a bigger career. It didn't sound like she had any serious career goals beyond RH at that point when the interview took place (at least none that she was willing to share with the writer and their readers). Did being fired from RH (and the backstage hassles) distinguish her fire? Hate to think that happened. Show biz is tough, though :-(

• Members

A 1979 newspaper article where Sarah Felder said she almost quit the show over Siobhan's wardrobe.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19791012&id=zQxUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tIwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6010,1893805&hl=en

I wonder at what point they told her no more jeans for Siobhan because Siobhan did wear them that first year.

Edited by safe

• Members

Didn't she also get into a beef with ABC about the length of her hair? It seems that Sarah was very vocal about her character and what she should look like, and I have to say she was right (and was certainly a classic Labine/Mayer character under her watch). Maybe ABC decided they just didn't want to deal with her anymore in 1980 when they bought the show from Labine/Mayer.

• Members

I don't know if she did about her hair, it does seem quite possible she would have since she felt so strongly about how Siobahn should dress.

The Memory Book webmaster used to post at the Soapnet forum and he said he was told that Sarah was “difficult” - whatever that means (and I doubt she was the only RH actor who was ever called that). He also said the show, cast, and crew didn't like how Sarah would speak negatively about the show (even going beyond her own character and storyline like when she complained in the press about the show dropping the Pat/Nancy interfaith relationship)