Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Right? I didn't know if the way SB did Christmas episodes was industry standard at the time or unique to SB. In the 2000s, when I was watching Y&R they did something similar one year where Michael loses all his friends and he's alone and I think "It's a wonderful Life" reprise.

At the height of the Kristen era on Days (1997-98?), I had someone in my household who watched that show, so I was vaguely aware of what was happening. At the time, Days and Passions sort of all blended together for me and I thought it was one show, especially since they were back to back timeslot wise. By the time I started watching Y&R as my new "serious" show, she was back on as Ashley Abbott and involved with Brad at the time. Frankly, I always thought she belonged on The Young and the Restless, which she probably thinks so herself since she keeps going back to it no matter who the current producer is or how much wiggle room they have for her character considering everything else that's going on there

Edited by Lex S
Grammar

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Am I the only one who found Warren and BJ gross? I can’t believe they used their wedding as the series finale. There was so much ick there.

She came to town impersonating a teenage boy and bonded with Warren who took her in because she was homeless and living in a tunnel. Then she was a college freshmen and he was her professor/mentor. They added the backstory of BJ being sexually abused when she was younger by her parent’s friend and made Cruz, Warren’s close friend, her biological father.

All of this was on top of the fact that they had no discernible chemistry while Warren had loads with Angela and Cassandra.

• Members

I liked the BJ story, but would have preferred if they'd stayed platonic.  

Warren had chemistry with Angela...but she had chemistry with almost every guy..imho. 

I think when the Dobson's were writing that Warren/Angela were meant as end game with Cassandra as spoiler.  When Pam Long took over, Cassandra was shipped to a mental hospital while Angela/Warren were broken up so he could pursue B.J.

Personally, I was intrigued with the BJ story...she was disguised as a boy...with only Sawyer knowing who she was.  And I was wondering if Long was trying to connect BJ's disguise as a way to shield herself from being violated.  Alas, this was abandoned and a whodunit was done instead.

• Members

I think Christmas episodes were done. I know the Hortons always hung the ornaments. But Santa Barbara's were different than Days or AW. Those were the ones I remember. 

I was basically gone before BJ. And I'm not sure who Angela is. I was in college and that affiliate had dropped SB. But home still carried it. So if I was home, I watched. 

Cruz and Sophia are covering for Eden trying to kill CC. Judith's Vacation must have been some place sunny. She's very tan. But I'm glad she's back. When Lionel tells Brandon that story, it made me sad that all they ever pursued between Lionel and Sophia was brief flirtations. It would have been nice for both of them to not have someone constantly throwing their bad decisions in their faces. And I do wonder what the chemistry could have been without them holding back. 

And I still hate Gina

• Members

I can agree with that. But I don't mind a good May/December. Unfortunately, I can't think of one right now, I'm too sleepy.

So, technical question: Would Sophia actually be Mrs. Armonti? I mean, if CC and Gina weren't legally married because Sophia was not dead, the Sophia and the Count weren't either, right? I still would love to know more about old geezer Count.

• Members

Ooh, I also just remembered that wasn't there CC's brother for a short story arc somewhere in the 500-700 episode range? I remember it being good, but what do I know?! At least you were in college at the time, I was still in high school.

Also, wanted to thank everyone for welcoming me here! I think I am going to make this my new home where I will discuss this show with all of you! I realize I should probably go back and skim more pages in this thread (I only did like 160 to current) because I am sure many things have been discussed over and over! It is always good to hear someone's new perspectives. Also, the fact that many episodes have just now become available (by "now" I mean the last 3-5 years) and so many of them in pretty decent quality gives everyone a chance to once again enjoy many storylines whether you're watching in order or select periods

As I mentioned, after I realized that I might be able to watch the entire series from the beginning I made it my mission last year to watch 1-2 episodes every day and read corresponding comments, and so far I have enjoyed the first 320 episodes. At the rate I am going I should be done in about 3 years. I might speed up my watching if nothing new is on next season on TV. The only other current shows I watch are Young Sheldon and B Positive. Think what you will of that!

Edited by Lex S
Grammar

• Members

Actor John Considine played the very short term role of Grant Capwell

JOHN CONSIDINE

BRIGHT PROMISE           Brian Walsh           1971-72

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS     Philip Chancellor        1973-74

ANOTHER WORLD             Vic Hastings          1974-76

KNOTS LANDING                Scooter Warren        1981

HOTEL                            Carl Bernard              1984

EMERALD POINT, N.A.S.        Dr. Friedman         1984

GLITTER                          Mike Berman           1984