Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Clearly the Residence 1.0 was visually superior to 2.0.  However, Senior Executive Producer John Conboy (thanks @Chris 2) had a penchant for shooting through a set, as if the audience was spying in on a conversation.  If you watch episodes of Y&R, Capitol, or Santa Barbara, there are always these shots from between columns or through an open staircase to start an episode.  It was very effective in demonstrating the grandiosity of the setting.  He used fewer establishing shots of the exteriors of the buildings, favoring a tracking shot through a set to start the action.  The newer version of the set allowed for those types of shots. 

Also, of note, time slot competition GH had recently renovated the Quatermaine mansion, so there was a trend between shows. 

Lastly, the newer set seems more functional, Residence 1.0 didn't have a large dining room, and frequently characters were forced to stand around during scenes because there were very few places to sit.  The open courtyard was lovely, but lighting it proved to be a nuisance, the fake sunlight from the center caused shadows on the entry way, and it had be adjusted to suit the time of day in the other scenes.  If you look at other sets developed during the same time period, like the house that Mason bought Pamela in the episode that was uploaded to YT today, you can see that they were trying to give a peachy/pink pastel look to all of the spaces which reflected light nicely on the actors and seemed more modern that the classic dark wood and deep red casita look of the Residence 1.0.  All of which is why Conboy was often criticized for valuing style over substance.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I agree. When I was a young teen, Gina Gallego didn't bother me as much. I could take her or leave her. But now, I'm so different. I can't stand a second that she's on my screen. I don't like Gina DeMott, but Santana you signed pspers. Sometimes you have to live with the decisions that you make. And it hurts, but that's the reality!

• Members

To play the devil's advocate, wasn't Julia supposed  to explore whether Channing Jr. and CC pressured Santana to sign the papers? In other words, this was supposed to prove that she was not in the right state of mind and her free will  to sign anything. I'm still a few episodes behind you, so something must have happened later with that course of action that I'm not aware of yet

Edited by Lex S
Spelling

• Members

Gotcha. I am just finished with Margaret Michaels' run and at the beginning of Gina Gallego's interpretation which isn't as shocking as it was all those years ago. All those years ago, I just remember taking a hit after hit after hit with the switches in Gina, Santana and CC's portrayers in a matter of weeks, who were all central characters in the story at the time. Usually, when a recast happens you don't get a recast in someone else for a while so you have time to adjust. 

Do we all agree that Joseph Bottoms is pretty well suited for the role of Kirk Cranston. I remember when he first appeared on the show as that surprise guest on Eden's plane on the trip to Hawaii. They kept tiptoeing around the fact that Jack Lee is not coming back. And that Eric character who was his assistant just didn't cut it for the role, I guess so they had to turn to Kirk Cranston as the new plot to get Eden and Cruz apart which worked out pretty well, I have to say

Also, Pearl doesn't seem like he would stay long-term at this point. I'm glad that they eventually found story lines for him that were tied to Kelly. Those were some  of my favorite memories

Edited by Lex S
Spelling

• Members

I remember reading in some magazine a long time ago that there was a very wild rumor that they actually planned on killing off CC which would have been a very big deal. The reasoning was that they were tired of the three recasts in a matter of a year and the juicy story with the unplugging was going really well. This wouldn't have been out of character for SB at the time but shocking for one of the central characters. I don't know if this would have brought instant ratings success considering time of the year. Did soaps set at the time have high drama right before Christmas and during? If CC had died, they probably would have brought Mason to the forefront even more prominently. Ultimately, I'm glad it worked out the way it did, Jed Allen was different but was good! 

Edited by Lex S
Spelling

• Members

A long time lurker, finally a poster.  My thoughts on Mary is that she is what Mason needed to be ready to be in a relationship with Julia.  Julia and Mason have flaws and warts, like most realistic couples.  He needed someone like Mary to show him what love was.  He did lose it, but now that he'd experienced it, he would be more open to it and the fulfillment it would bring him.  Julia showed him it was more than star crossed lovers but also maturity, children, and yes, sometimes struggles.  In the long run, Mary was needed to help Mason successfully move on with Julia.

The remodel of the Q mansion was all Gloria Monty because she decided an earthquake in NY was the way to go to remodel several sets.

• Members

Welcome! 

Please register in order to view this content

And I think this is a very astute observation. Nice to see a new POV. Mason probably had no idea what a healthy romatic relationship before Mary was, so your take seems on the nose. Glad to "see" some new people here!