Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Can I just say how believable Marcy Walker is in playing the angry Eden when confronting the whole CC in the coma situation? She has chemistry with everybody right now. I might not be the fan of her character but I have to give it to the actress - well played and well deserved of all those Emmys later

Also, just a quick question and a thought - I don't like paranormal, supernatural in my soaps. Am I correct that SB never did that, even later on? I believe the only soaps that did do that at a certain point in the late '80s and '90s were Guiding Light, One Life to live and Days, particularly the last one.

• Members

You're probably about 20 episodes ahead of me. I just got to where Dylan Hartley's starting to hog all the airtime

Minx is appearing less and less now, probably like once every 30 episodes. I wonder if the actress couldn't be on screen more because of her age, or if they just didn't want to write for her anymore at this point?

Edited by Lex S
Grammar

• Members

I don't know if this counts as the type paranormal that you dislike, but there were repeated references to a psychic connection between Eden and Cruz that was supposed to confirm that they were each other's destiny.  Before their wedding there was that weird story where Cruz was kidnapped by a mad scientist on an island.  It involved ESP, wild animals, and Eden had a vision of the site of their wedding which Sophia was able to interpret as Pebble Beach (I bet if Sophia had a shared vision of the awful hoop skirts that Eden's bridal party wore she would have warned against it).  Also, during Eden's baby's kidnapping there was a psychic character who helped solve the mystery.

Is that the Xmas when Lionel was arrested and the Lockridges move their celebration to the jail?  I remember that episode as really solidifying the charm of the Lockridge family, along with Minx's humorous take on the police of SB (although I can't remember if Laken was present).

• Members

Weren't those Christmases kind of goofy? I guess, they were sincerely done back then without any fear of political correctness that exists today. Not being a current soap watcher, do they still make holidays an event on soaps these days?

Wow, I forgot about that! SB struck gold with finding A Martinez and Marcy Walker. They put them through the wringer over the years and I guess fairly exhausted them by 1991. I wish the end was different, but it is what it is, I'm dreading having to watch A Martinez and Eileen Davidson together later on. At the rate I'm going in my watching, though, it's still quite a ways away thankfully, so, hopefully, I will be desensitized by then!

As far as the Lockridges' Christmas - it was the very first one - 1984. It was very sweet, Lionel was in jail. The show was still searching for its direction but these episodes were well done

Edited by Lex S
Grammar