Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

I disliked Nick more than Dylan Hartley, (and Nick seemed so much older than Kelly)  Something about the mullet-DNA in that family was very unappealing.

I forgot that after Nick, Kelly met a psychiatrist named Justin Moore (played by Larry Poindexter, later of GH).  It was during the phase when she worked at La Mesa and had her own apartment.  Kelly was trying to create her own identity away from the other Capwells.  That was also a lost thread that would have differentiated the character of Kelly from the other Capwell kids.

As for Kirk, I enjoy the 80s yuppie qualities of Kirk that contrasted him with Cruz.  He plays not only on Eden's desire to please CC and save the company, but also on her expectations for upward mobility that a cop on a boat could not fulfill.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always thought it was interesting that Kelly fell for Joe, who came from a middle class family.  And you saw in the first months of the show how close she became to the Perkins family.

It seemed early Kelly was more of a Tori Spelling type (wanted to carve her own identity outside her family). 

I do agree that had this been more explored, it would have helped develop Kelly's character.

Mason was the prodigal son, Eden the favored daughter, and Ted was the baby of the family so everyone loved and nurtured him.

Kelly wasn't the favored daughter, and seemed aimless...trying to find security and somewhere to belong.  It's why she was close to the Perkins family, and even tried to make peace with Pamela..Jeffrey's mom.

• Members

Gotcha! That's funny, I I watch in prime time, especially now that all my usual evening shows are on hiatus until September / October. And I sure as heck am not watching the Olympics

Santa Barbara was the first real soap I I watched. I took a long hiatus after that and then watched y&r for about 6 years, then life got in the way. I tuned in occasionally nowadays for a few minutes, but it's just not what I'm used to. Everything is so boring and slow moving. I also watched GH for about 3 years and As the World Turns right before it was canceled.

I forgot to mention that it was funny to me that Julia walking in on Jack Lee flirting with his new secretary was the end of that situation. Clearly, the writers didn't know what was happening with the actor, whether he was going to come back or not. We know that the actor died 2 to 3 months later. That Eric character, who's supposed to be Jack Lee's assistant, was played by a pretty decent actor. I googled him, and he seems to have done quite a bit of theater work in London and New York. I think by this time they had already cooked up the Kirk Cranston idea so Eric had to go

• Members

Thank you, I've been aware of this website as well. They actually used to be on YouTube, but this person decided to move off of there about 6 months ago because their videos kept getting deleted and I believe they wanted to monetize it also.

The Russian site pretty much has every episode in usually English and Russian. They list which language each episode is in and most episodes have up to 3 versions of varying quality.  it's all in Russian though so you would have to use a translator of some sort, and you have to register to view the content, otherwise, if you're just a guest on their message board, all those threads and posts are invisible to you so you would have to be registered.

http://www.teleserial.com/77-serial-santa-barbara-videoarhiv/

Edited by Lex S
Grammar