Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love all of this speculation. I agree about the miscast Perkins. They look related, but none of them were outstanding in these roles. (Not necessarily bad actors considering Melissa Brennan went on to be Jenn Horton Devereaux). They could have been a powerhouse family, but the acting always felt off to me. Even without an Augusta/Dad Perkins affair, there still could have been more for this family. Maybe some normal problems vs the OTT problems with the Capwells. A younger cousin delinquent come to stay to interact with Ted, or Christie, another female for Warren. Anything more interesting than what they actually were.

• Members

Even Jade the bubble head told Ted to leave her alone! Then he goes to jail and writes to her! Idjit! Boy has serious stalker potential. I feel bad for Christie. She knows what she's doing is wrong, but she is thinking jail is better than dead. Theda is gawdawful. Mary is so sanctimonious, but blind to reality. Mason calling her on it is awesome. It is gripping, but Ted has serious issues. Also, when Ted moves out and CC tells Sophia she always coddled him too much. Til he was 2? She coddled a one year old? CC You are another sanctimonious fart. As you so readily pointed out numerous times, you raised him.

And while I'm on a roll, CC has an aneurysm and his doc says he can't try for another baby with Gina. He's all upset that he can't have sex with his wife, but he was smooching on wife number 2 yesterday and telling her that she's the love of his life. 

These people ALL need therapy, but all of the therapists in town seem to be evil. 

And I LOVE IT ALL!

• Members

In one of Christie's last episodes before she left, she and Mary have a sister heart to heart.  Mary confesses her feelings for Mason, that she sees good in him and believes in true love while Christie clues Mary in on real life.  Mary even asks if Christie believes in happiness and love while Christie basically says no.  It was a good character study of both of them...and it's a shame that Christie was written out.  She had a lot of potential and would have been interesting to see how she dealt with life post the rape trial.

I think the Duvall's should have remained as a counterpart to the Capwells..since the Perkins were phased out by this point. 

And Ted seemed to never have his peers stay on.  Jade/laken/danny were gone by 1986...and then Hayley/Jake with Laken briefly in 1986 to January 1988...and then Eva larue's character before he left in 1989.

• Members

I vaguely remember a scene where Mason was analyzing the family and referred to Ted as the “runt of the litter”. LOL - truer words were never spoken. I think it was in front of Ted too. Ted was actually well-written and cast - this soft, eager beaver type who seemed desperate to be liked.

• Members

I'm still at Ted's trial. The DA just collapsed. 

Augusta just confronted Sophia about Channing. Louise Sorel is SUCH a powerhouse. TPTB truly were idiots to let her get away! She just told Julia about Channing and said she wants to kill Lionel. Julia said not to do anything drastic. And she quips I didn't think that was drastic, I thought it was the next logical step. And it hit me again how needed they are in this show. BUT it has to be the right writers. They HAVE to break your heart AND rip it out equally or it fails.

It also hit me that the irony of Santa Barbara is that the true fans don't necessarily consider the Golden Era to be the Best Show winning years.

• Members

Julie Ronnie was the prime Laken. She deserved more.

Switching the actors of Joe Perkins tanked the role, and since I doubt Robin Wright wanted to play opposite someone who wasn't Dane Witherspoon speaks volumes as to why Joe was killed off.

I believe, per her own words, Susan Marie Snyder wanted to do more with Laken, but the writing was not there to allow it.