Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Santa Barbara Discussion Thread


dm.

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liberty City said:

I do know Richman said in a fan interview he made the mistake of leaving Dynasty for Santa Barbara, because he found the scripts lousy.

In all fairness, the Shapiros were hardly better writers than the Dobsons. Whatever Dynasty had going for it, it was neither the scripts nor the quality and coherence of the plots.

1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

Kelly's monologue in Joe's memory about seeing his muscles moving and how his body responds to her touch had me . 

Funny because if you read a few pages over I was struck by this scene too when I started rewatching SB from scratch. It was not just cringe and awful writing but it was such a bizarre thing to think and think people would find it hot. Mark my words: the Dobsons must have had a very kinky sex life.

43 minutes ago, Marissa Gallant said:

Didn't know the story of Bateman's firing until last month.

Where did you read about it? I am only piecing things together from this thread and I'd be interested in the whole story.

Edited by FrenchBug82
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
10 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Funny because if you read a few pages over I was struck by this scene too when I started rewatching SB from scratch. It was not just cringe and awful writing but it was such a bizarre thing to think and think people would find it hot. Mark my words: the Dobsons must have had a very kinky sex life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
43 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Where did you read about it? I am only piecing things together from this thread and I'd be interested in the whole story.

Basically, Jed Allan ran into Charles Bateman, realized he had no idea he was getting fired and talked about how much more comfortable he was getting in the role and looking forward to what came next, so Allan pulled him aside and told him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
20 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

Basically, Jed Allan ran into Charles Bateman, realized he had no idea he was getting fired and talked about how much more comfortable he was getting in the role and looking forward to what came next, so Allan pulled him aside and told him.

Thank you. That's what I had gathered from the posters but thank you for making it explicit.

Do we know why they hadn't told Bateman?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
19 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Thank you. That's what I had gathered from the posters but thank you for making it explicit.

Do we know why they hadn't told Bateman?
 

I'm not sure, but, it sounds like Allan told Bateman prior to TPTB at Santa Barbara telling him, as Allan had already been contacted to recast the role. When Allan saw him he realized Bateman had no idea he was going to be fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

In all fairness, the Shapiros were hardly better writers than the Dobsons. Whatever Dynasty had going for it, it was neither the scripts nor the quality and coherence of the plots.

Funny because if you read a few pages over I was struck by this scene too when I started rewatching SB from scratch. It was not just cringe and awful writing but it was such a bizarre thing to think and think people would find it hot. Mark my words: the Dobsons must have had a very kinky sex life.

Where did you read about it? I am only piecing things together from this thread and I'd be interested in the whole story.

Well, Augusta and Lionel were supposedly based on the Dobsons- so champagne bubble baths and getting turned by food. Make of it what you will....

I found SB excepts of Allan's memoir on the french site. TPTB invited Allan and Bateman to the same Christmas party. Bateman asked what role Allan was playing. It got awkward from there. 

3 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

 

Where did you read about it? I am only piecing things together from this thread and I'd be interested in the whole story.

http://santabarbara-online.com/index2.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

In all fairness, the Shapiros were hardly better writers than the Dobsons. Whatever Dynasty had going for it, it was neither the scripts nor the quality and coherence of the plots.

I'd rather work for the Shapiros than the Dobsons, LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Setting aside their big picture mistakes, were they also a pain in the behind to work for on a day-to-day basis?

I have not recalled a single person recall working negatively for the Shapiros; I've heard, per their own words, they've had issues with people hired for Dynasty and threatened to quit if said-person was not let go. But never a negative word about them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Liberty City said:

I have not recalled a single person recall working negatively for the Shapiros; I've heard, per their own words, they've had issues with people hired for Dynasty and threatened to quit if said-person was not let go. But never a negative word about them.

That was initially going to be my joke in response to this conversation. Maybe we'd rather work for the Shapiros than the Dobsons but would we rather work with Joan Collins?*

*whom I adore but let's face it she must be brutal to work with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
26 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

That was initially going to be my joke in response to this conversation. Maybe we'd rather work for the Shapiros than the Dobsons but would we rather work with Joan Collins?*

*whom I adore but let's face it she must be brutal to work with.

joan collins dynasty GIFVideo Tiene GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)

how did Bateman not realize he 'd be fired? C.C. was comatose for weeks/months...In every soap parody, it is the beginning of the end for an actor....Many actors didn't make it in the C.C so he could have been suspicious...

 

I liked Bateman... He had chemistry with everyone..acting classic but solid...

Not fond of Allan...

And curious about Lloyd bochner...His introduction to C.C  in a tv  promo was intriguing and appealing. Too bad he bad a heart attack (but survived rather the opposite of his Dynasty character, Cecil Colby).He had style, nobility and wits

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqkXG3gixtA

Edited by spike99
add video
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy