Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The one thing Pamela Long did as head writer was the Sophia/Ken thing.  Sophia was always about her looks and being desired...so it would make sense she was taken with Ken.  And the actor playing Ken had a sincere vibe so you could buy Sophia being drawn to him.

It was one of the storkes during Long's 10 month stint that worked.

I also thought the Angela/CC/Ted story had potential.  It played up on CC's weak spot..being hurt by the women he dated/loved cheating on him (Sophia and Gina in the past)...and CC/Ted always had an undefined relationship...so having Ted be the one to hurt him (who he least expected) could have been played out.  I think the cancellation of the show cut it short...by throwing Ted in Lily's orbit, while Angela/CC were in a holding pattern till the Sophia/Ken story wrapped.

• Members

Paul Burke was such a p*ss-poor replacement for Peter Mark Richman. It almost makes me wish they had just pushed for Richman to stay until Charles Bateman stepped into the role.
It also leaves me wonder what would've happened if Lloyd Bochner had gotten to debut in the role. Jed Allan definitely brought a certain sex appeal the others lacked.
But, I cannot help but feel for Bateman and how he was let go from the role; I enjoyed him thoroughly in the role.

Not to mention, the fact he wanted nothing to do with the role came-off so much. He read cold.

Oh, the magic Allan and Ava Lazar could've had, despite me not being completely sold on the C.C. and Santana pairing. But, visually, it would've been easier to swallow.

Brick suffered from being [almost] immediately paired with Amy, and when TPTB killed-off the role, it left him in a gaping hole... even though it shouldn't have.

Jane was a waste and the 180 her character had from beginning-to-end is one of the most WTF moments.

• Members

Their real weak spot were the monologues and dialogue. Kelly's monologue in Joe's memory about seeing his muscles moving and how his body responds to her touch had me

Please register in order to view this content

. It's a good thing it was a voice-over because I'm sure Robin Wright couldn't keep a straight face while saying it!

• Members

I agree about Bateman. I really liked him. And I was very upset that they were replacing him. Especially since they were doing it with Don Craig. (I adored Don. And I was very upset no one in Salem noticed that he never came back from mailing his taxes.) He won me over very quickly. By the time he announced his presence to the whole family, it was done. CC had finally arrived and I was like Don who?

Didn't know the story of Bateman's firing until last month. Total crap thing to do to both of those men! Full BS!

CC and Santana would have been easier with Allan and Lazar, but they still ick me out. I just can't imagine falling into bed with ANY of my BF's dads. Gross! But at least there would have been some chemistry-probably. Allan seemed to ooze it. 

Funnily enough, out of the combos they tried with Lazar, she had the most with Lane Davies,  but tptb didn't seem to want to go there. (Davies is another one who oozes chemistry)

• Members

It was shady how they handled the switch (behind-the-scenes) from Bateman to Allan. And while I understand why Allan told Bateman, I also know if I were TPTB at the soap I'd be pissed with Allan.
The mere fact the Dobsons wanted Allan prior to casting Richman (and possibly Bochner) says all it needs to in my book.

Allan shared chemistry with so much of his female cast and not just sexual chemistry, but natural chemistry. And I am sure he would've preferred to work with Lazar over Wanda DeJesus.

I liked Lazar with Lane Davies, and I also kind of fancied her with A. Martinez. She had a natural, palpable chemistry with her co-stars.