Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rewatching early SB as I am now, I actually like Bochner fine in the role as it was written then which was the patriarch archetype. He does feel fatherly and "dignified" with a hint of manipulation. I do find it hard to imagine him in the more active romantic lead storylines the character was later given under JA

I meant the Dobsons since this is the SB thread and I am ready for STORIES!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Bateman asked and was just always told that they weren't replacing him. I guess just extreme head in the sand syndrome.

You are in the minority. So I'll share my own minority opinion. I enjoyed Victoria and enjoyed it when she and Mason recited Shakespeare to each other. 

Right now, I'm watching early Julia and Mason working on the Gillis case. I had read somewhere that Julia was supposed to be the spoiler for Mason/Victoria. Did tptb have eyes? I admitted I liked M/V. But J/M are so fabulous together. Even I was rooting for Julia and Mason. 

• Members

Jill Farren Phelps' material began airing in December 1987.

Like someone else said: his head was in-the-sand. Though, realistically, there was only about one-month of airtime between Charles Bateman's last appearance (December 4, 1985) and Jed Allan's first appearance (January 8, 1986).
And they had an uncredited actor between December 1985 and January 1986.
We don't know the exact timeline when Allan was hired and Bateman was supposedly fired... at least to my knowledge we don't.
I do know Allan was doing some stage work after leaving Days of Our Lives, so he easily could have auditioned while also doing some primetime guest spots, and they cast him prior to Bateman's final appearance.
Based on Allan's own wording that Bateman did not know he was being fired is leading me to believe Allan was cast prior to Bateman's final scene.
Allan stated Bateman wanted to go to set and tell-off producers, and he talked him out of it, which alludes that Bateman was still filming.

Bateman, for me, was more of the older family patriarch, but the Dobsons wanted a younger look for C.C., hence why Allan auditioned again for the role. Once again, the Dobsons making some questionable decisions.

Lloyd Bochner, for me, would have been an amazing C.C., but I also believe they would've canned him in favour of either Bateman or Allan at some point.

I think Julia was meant to replace Augusta for Lionel; I got those vibes, and then they immediately dropped it. Then they teased both Cruz and Pearl with Julia. So many missed opportunities.

• Members

Pearl/Julia would have been very odd. I like Courtney/Pearl. Julia Campbell was very refreshing and full of life. Too bad the writers made her Madeline's killer ('Madeline was a true villainess mais too much stereotyped).   But they were going to run of suspects...Pearl's past was interesting and intriguing. But again never developped it and Brian was bland. So many missed opportunities again...

(sorry for my poor english..I am French)

Edited by spike99

• Members

They really did. Julia was a good friend to both Amy and Brick. Once Amy was killed off, Julia wanted Brick to father her baby (before she and Mason hooked up). It was a very touching scene. Brick was clearly flattered, but turned Julia down because he wanted to be part of his child's life and not a mere sperm donor.

• Members

I liked Pearl and Courtney too. Too bad he went all gaga over Kelly. Pearl should have been a great character but they did drop the ball.

Your English is better than my French. 

I still think TPTB were blind regarding Julia and Mason. Pearl and Julia end game? No. Mason and Victoria end game? Again no.

Also I know Robin Wright is beautiful, but I don't fully understand why every man who ever spoke to her fell hopelessly in love with Kelly. She was a bit needy. I'm glad they never paired her with Phillip the Butler. 

• Members

It wasn't, as far as I know. I do know I read past rumors that EDEN may have had a flirtation with Lionel. I also read (had serendipity with Cruz not happened) that Eden/Warren was being considered.

As already stated, early on, I guess the pairing was supposed to be Pearl for Julia, but then she was put in Mason's orbit and voila! Serendipity, part 2.

• Members

When Dylan parachuted into Santa Barbara, he met Julia..while the two bantered and had chemistry before he became obsessed with Kelly.   

It's odd that Julia's intended pairings with Jack, David and Pearl didn't pan out...yet the random scenes she had with Brick, Dylan, and Mason had chemistry.  Glad the show opted to go with Julia and Mason.

Kelly was Santa Barbara's answer to Cricket Blair..or Lily Walsh..where all men wanted her.

Of the brief characters that came and went...I thought Courtney had potential...and I liked Heather Donnelly (god knows the show needed a therapist). 

And of the dreaded Pam Long era...Lisa was a promising vixen and could have lasted long term had the show continued.