Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Linda/Gina and Robin/Gina are like two different characters each with their own strengths.

For example, I didn't recall how fluid Gina's backstory was in the first year between the adoption of Brandon, her daughter Lily and this guy who I totally forgot

Please register in order to view this content

I though Linda did well with Gina as a reluctant drug addict, because she played the manic versions of the character that made her vulnerable.

On the other hand, I think Gina's relationship with Keith Timmons and Ethan Asher needed the stronger and more willful presence that Robin brought to the part.

I also wonder, going back to the original recast, if there wasn't a need to create more of a distinction between Gina and Santana.  Gina and Santana were given very similar stories at first and they play played redundant roles in the plot.  Gina and Santana were both in a love triangle with CC and Mason.  They were both antagonistic toward Eden, and they were both social climbers.

Robin had just finished playing Delia on Ryan's Hope, a character who was known for balancing humor with enmity, so perhaps there was a wish that she could play a different side to Gina than Linda brought to the part.  Certainly, Robin's longevity in the role is testament to her ability to portray a multifaceted character who fit as both a romantic lead and jealous villain.  Finally, I would hazard to predict that Judith McConnell's Sophia could have eaten Linda/Gina for lunch, and she needed a broader actress like Robin to play against in order further the CC/Gina/Sophia triangle.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lawd! Alan Locher is having a virtual with Jill Farren Phelps... 

Alan Locher will welcome Jill Farren Phelps to his YouTube show, The Locher Room on Wednesday, June 23 at 3 p.m. ET. Phelps has been the EP at ANOTHER WORLD, GH, GUIDING LIGHT, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, SANTA BARBARA AND Y&R and has won 11 Daytime Emmys for her works on soaps. 

Jill Farren Phelps Virtual Interview - Soap Opera Digest

• Members

That's a very interesting comparison actually. While Gina still had serious moments with RW (particularly early on), she did devolve as mostly a comedic character - like Cecile did.
That's why I love this forum! Had never thought of the parallel but it is right on!

• Members

I just rediscovered Santa Barbara. Oh how I love this show. I remember being upset that they were going to replace Charles Bateman with Don Craig. But then Jed Allen BECAME C.C. to me. Even in the reruns, I wish we could have had JA from the beginning. 

I adore Sophia. Judith McConnell. Underused in the end. So. So. So much chemistry with Jed Allen.

I think the downfall might have been that there were never plateaus. Sophia's breast cancer over in a week. Custody of Brandon lasted 10 years, and the show was only on for 8.5. Too much keeping couples apart. Let them be happy for at least a month. 

I wanted CC and Sophia together, not constantly being stupid. And the fact that I didn't get that enough drove me away. 

And I do think that if Cruz (or CC or Sophia or anyone) had really loved Eden, they would have taken away her keys. Good Lord, the woman wrecked her car at least once a month! Capwell Enterprises must also own an insurance company because that's the only way she didn't get cut off. And this is the same woman that sky dived into CCs birthday?

And don't even get me started on Santana. I'll do ALL of the men in a family! Ewww. I get it. They wanted a May December. But after all of the [!@#$%^&*] CC did, Santana shouldn't look twice at him!!

• Members

I didn't comment on this because people seemed to think there was potential there and it is all too long ago that I don't remember clearly enough but, yeah, it is one of these things that do not make sense if you have any sense of history. 
And it is quite a sin for writers to ignore history when the show is less than a decade old.

• Members

Regarding Santana... one of the few things Pam Long did right in her 10 month stint was break up Santana/CC....have Santana regain her senses..and leave town to start over.  Rosa had a good scene where she told CC to let her go, let her start anew.  And the last scene is Santana on the plane looking out the window after a handsome guy flirts with her...feeling joyful at the possibilities of the future.

I am curious why when Santana came back in mid 1991...the Dobson's didn't try to revisit her and Cruz?  Why they put him with new character Suzanne (good actress..doomed by an instant pairing with Cruz).

• Members

I read the interview with him on the french site about SB. They asked about Sonny. He was quick to say, "Sonny was not my idea, but making him southern was." 

I was gone from SB by that point, and only checking in once in a while. What happened that Mason  FINALLY called a truce with Sophia? When J/M FINALLY got married, Sophia was sort of in charge.