• Members

This is the best news--ever. Stefano to me is at the crux of the angst and mystery on this show. He is very much needed, and I've missed him since the day he left. I'm absolutely THRILLED about this news. Welcome home, Joe!!! WOOO HOO!!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think we do have to wait to cast judgment. With Billy Warlock still on the show, they could still delve into the Alamain connection. Frankie was involved with the Alamain family, after all, and it could be a bridge to a larger explaination of what might have happened.

Either way, I still think Joe Mascolo is a welcome addition to an already strong and vibrant cast, and I look forward to the Dimeras getting their rightful place back, and to the re-emeragnce of the Hortons as a viable family on the show.

• Members

Oh HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking at Steve Nichols as Steve Johnson today and while thinking, "be still my heart," was also thinking that for 16 years I've dreamed of seeing this man as Patch again and still can hardly believe he is actually here and NOW comes my very, very favorite, Stefano. I hope I survive LOL. This is just fantastic. Stefano is as core to Days as the Horton's in my judgement and Alice Horton actually. She is the good side and he is the evil side. Just totally love it and in heaven. So, Days will make it back to No. 1 before the end of the year, hoping.

• Members

Well color me estatic!

There's no doubt in my mind that Sheffer will give Stefano a complete makeover. No more brain chips, or mind control.

DAYS was very gothic for a while, and I would love to see that come back for a while.

• Members

I wouldn't count on no mind control Rick. Remember Hogan used mind control with the spa story. I can't remember now how the mind control was achieved, but Stenbeck used it. And this was during the Gothic days of ATWT. I don't think Hogan will use brain chips but I could see him doing mind control again - just in a different form not to copy the story he has already done on ATWT.

You can cheer up if you want. This is the news I did not want to hear, and as a 30 plus year viewer if I want to be upset about it if I want. I had just got excited about the show esp. after hearing that Hogan wanted to return the show to more realism and beef up the Hortons with a focus on family. The interview made me excited about the show again. Now I am not, and even debating whether I will even watch the show anymore.

As I said whether Hogan takes Stefano back to the Stefano of the 80's or not, the fact remains that the Stefano of the last few years is still part of the show. How can you focus on realism when you have a man on the show who is responsible for brain chips, mind control, and has risen from the dead a 1000 times. His mere presence is a reminder of those things. Their part of the history of the character. I was looking forward to a new page of history of Days. Stefano's story has been done, and the DiMera's have been ruined by the last 2 or 3 regimes. I had more faith in Hogan that he could create a new villian - even a new DiMera. Just treading out the same old stuff is not good. And I feel like others that Stefano is going to be made responsible for Steve's memory loss, and that is just a rewrite of history and no better than what other writers have done. As I said I had more faith in Hogan to pull the tried and true that other Days writers have.

It is very upsetting and not what I had hoped for the show at all.

• Members

All soaps are unrealistic at time and one of the reasons I enjoy DAYS is its one of the more out there soaps. Dont get me wrong I want a realistic soap, but I like a little of unrealistic and out there stuff happening in Salem from time to time, especially if its Stefano Dimera. Stefano's name alone will bring people back and thats something every soap needs right now. I think bringing back Stefano will spice up the show, plus JER who writes cartoony villians isnt writing the show anymore. DAYS needs a villian badly, why not Stefano?

Preach it Rick! :P

• Members

Would you really give up DAYS just because Stefano returned, IMO that is ridiculous. I know that sounds harsh, but I am a fan of DAYS and I am not about to leave because someone I dislike returns. Of course its your choice to quit watching, but at least see what Hogan and these new writers do with Stefano first.

• Members

I hope it's explained that Stefano had NOTHING to do with captive island.

Stefano was chained to a wall in a cellar powerless during that storyline...

-IMO. Stefano and TGO should NOT be one and the same. I hope he's re-introduced by saving Marlena and being gracious for a few months, THEN he should turn sneaky.

• Members

Kirk I would not leave over anyone else, but yes I would over Stefano. As I said it does not matter what Hogan does with Stefano. Whether he changes Stefano or not, the past of Stefano is still there - it can't be done away with. You can't move on to a more realistic approach when you bring back the character that has been most responsible in the last 20 years for most of the sci-fi stuff that Days has become labeled with. All the returns from the dead and other soaps copying them are what has hurt daytime so much. And the last round of the DiMera's was enough to ruin them forever with me, and yes that is JER's fault but it is still part of the characters too.

The return could have been anyone else and I would not have minded so bad. Even Tony who we know is in prison would not have upset me so bad, but the return of Stefano again just hurts the realism of the show and the realistic approach that I understood Hogan wanted.

And Kirk I don't mind a little of the out there or even campiness. I am thoroughly enjoying ATWT's slasher story, but Stefano just represents more than that. He just wasn't needed in my opinion. And with him on there the show just is not for me. The character was ruined and I can't get past that with a rewrite. There are at least 10 years of the cartoon that overrule it.

• Members

I, for one, have been a fan for over 30 years myself, and will not say I like or dislike his return until I see what Hogan and Beth and the rest of the writing team have in store for him. Nobody there has written one word for him, on top of the fact that that whole damn family hasn't been written worth a damn in 20 years. So, if there are fans who don't like his return, cool. Live and let live.

But I for one will be watching to see what he and his crazy, revenge-filled sons and daughter have in store for the people of Salem. Every time he is reported to be coming home to Days, the first thing that gets posted is "Why did so-and-so get released? To bring him back?!" For one, who said that they will never return? Nobody. Matt will come back sooner than many of you all think. The character is being given a rest until such time as they can fit him back in. They have payroll problems, and, even though I hate it as much as his fans do, and Austin's, Christy's and Billy's, they were signed and then stuck in horrible stories. It's not their fault they got released at this time. The timing does stick to high Heaven. But give them a chance to right the ship. The show is bigger than one, two or three performers.

I hated it when any of my favorites left. But I also gave the writers a chance to see what they will do wothout them there. As much as we would love it, these are no longer the days of actors staying on for 20-30 years. Soaps are suffering across the board, and Days is just one of many ships who are trying (For better or worse) to get themselves together.

So, I am just going to watch and see what's up. If done right, wonderful. That's how I feel. Anyone don't like it?

Tough [!@#$%^&*]. :D

• Members

If---and this is a big if---if Hogan, Meg, Beth, and the other writers will not do Stefano as this cartoon who controls the entire town, but a minor player in TGO while EJ, Patrick, and whoever else may be have the reins on these evil deeds, then I will be fine with it. The show doesn't need another Captive Island. I also hope we don't see a "John must rescue Marlena" story either, but I would like to see Stefano's obsession with her return. Maybe SHE can play on that, and give him blue balls. :lol: The sadistic side of me would love a Stefano/Marlena pairing. Joe and Deidre have great chemistry.

Stefano is a huge part of DAYS' history, and Joe wants to come back. The show would only benefit. I can see why some people would be pissed off, because of the budget cuts. Stefano isn't loved by all. Me, I'm going to play it apprehensive and take it day by day, and wait to see exactly what will go down.

• Members

I disagree with you totally. I don't see this as unoriginal. Tony and Stefano are two VERY different people, especially proven by the complete failure of Tony as any substantial villain (let alone character) at all.

Bringing back Stefano is the right thing to do and it takes an original writer, who can write, to bring him back and do the right thing with him. That's it, point blank IMO. Any other writer would turn him into another cartoon villain. If there was ever a time for Stefano to be back it is now and I applaud Corday and Hogan (whomsoever was behind it) and anticipate it greatly.

YES!! YES!!

It's sad that a lot of actors/characters are going but you can't say that one is at the expense of the other. And it's sad but I think eventually all of us will have to get over the many exits the show is facing like Christie, Austin, Matt, Missy, Billy, Brody.... I don't think the show is suffering or going to suffer as long as the writing is good.

I don't think they are trying to bring fans back or working this like that at all. The show has been doing great in the ratings (well OK, better than it was) and it hasn't been doing "look who's back", etc., it has just been writing material. That's what it all comes down to. The writing. Stefano's return has to be written and I think that is the bottom line. I don't think Stefano has a fanbase but the show needs a villain and Stefano is the show's icon.

Also you can't have EJ becoming a new villain, especially with the "DiMera" name alone. It would end up being the same as Spencer on OLTL, a new character with power coming out of his ass from nowhere.

Honestly, this is positive news. The show should not make moves based on fans alone, they should make moves that will give them a good soap. Letting go of dead weight, sadly, did that. It's pointless to keep all of these characters on and they won't be written for. That's what happened to J&J and probably would have happened to A&C if they weren't let go.

Archived