• Members

I don't think they fired who they did to bring Mascolo back. The cuts were made for budget reasons and maybe Mascolo is coming back for less money. It is unfair to put this on Mascolo, who is someone most Days fans wanted back. Hogan is striving for a more realistic Days, which means he will probably make Stefano the great villain he was in the 80's. That would be excellent. I feel bad we are losing some characters but Stefano is another return that make many fans return. I am pretty sure Ashford will be back at some point so that doesn't worry me. Days had to bring somebody back to sort of appease the fans given all the cuts. Mascolo wanted back and I think he understands the times soaps are going through so I am pretty sure he would come back for less then what he would usually make just to work. There is potential for all the characters being cut but with Stefano he can drive many stories at once and can give so much story to many of the supercouples. There is more pros then cons with this IMO but I can see why some feel bitter about this.

I agree Mitch-the cuts suck so this is a good news/bad news situation.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes but this was Reilly/Langan and Morina's version of Stefano, this was NOT the great Stefano from the 80's that fans loved to hate. The writers BRUTALLY destroyed the character and turned him into a big fat cartoon. Those who remember the way Stefano was originally written CANNOT DENY how great of a character he was AND can be again with a competent writer...and DAYS now has a competent writer and PROVEN writer in Hogan Sheffer. He is not about mind control, he is not about secret rooms or magical islands, Hogan himself has said this so you can bet that Stefano will be returned to the charismatic, classical villain that he used to be and not some mega-cartoon villain that controls the world with brain chips and secret rooms. I don't think Sheffer is willing to lower his writing standards to bring a character like that back to DAYS.

If people are willing to give Hogan a chance to repair the REST of the show WHY are they not willing to give him a chance to do right by the character of Stefano and the DiMera family.

Also who is to say that EJ still won't end up being a DiMera or that Kristen is right around the corner or another new DiMera will emerge? Also, new characters often are a VERY bad move when a headwriter first takes over, I think it is BETTER for a show to feature characters that the fans know and love (or love to hate) rather than creating a new character and shoving them down our throats...with this show we have been subjected to this TOO MANY time to count. I think there is NOTHING wrong with DAYS usings its history to further the ratings and the current story, there is NOTHING wrong with that AT ALL, if anything it is better!

People need to give him a chance to prove he can successfully tackle the DiMera family. This is NOT Reilly brining Stefano back and this is not Langan brining Stefano back, this is 5-time emmy winner Hogan Sheffer brining Stefano back and I am ABSOLUTELY positive that the days of Mind controlling/brain chip/secret island/room Stefano are OVER!

• Members

Phoenix, I don't think it should be put on Mascolo, but the two have to go hand in hand. It has too. Sure the others were cut for budget reasons, but you can't tell me that someone could have not been saved if they had not brought back Mascolo. The same can be said for Steve and Kayla. I mean these are decisions that the producers made. And they are not good ones.

Days producers and writers created the fan bases and as I much as I hate them, Days has used them to get where they are at. They have catered to them. And now all of a sudden they are telling other fan bases that this fan base is more important. And that is the only way it can be looked at. And I know the fan bases will look at it that way.

With the firings this was the worse time that Days could have brought anyone back. They should have stuck with either recasting parts or bringing on new folks right now. Because any return of an old favorite right now is going to be looked at negatively by the fans of Ashford, Clarke, and Peck.

Of course I guess just like the Steve and Kayla fans, I guess Days thinks they can pick back up the Stefano fans to replace the fan bases they are losing. I've said it before what is it going to help if we trade one fan base for another.

Corday or whoever needs to brighten up.

• Members

How is it more realistic to have a character that never dies and constantly returns from the dead. That is the opposite of realistic to me. Whether he takes Stefano back to the 80's Stefano or not, the fact is the cartoon Stefano existed and his mere presence in town is just a reminder of that. And IMO that destroys the idea of a more realistic Days.

• Members

Thank You!!! You said it all! I watched ATWT when Hogan brought back James Stenbeck, and I know he will use Mascolo in an incredible way. I have wanted the Stefano of the 80's back for years, and that is exactly what we can expect from Hogan. I know that there are cuts, but the cuts to Ashford and Warlock were a direct result of Reeves deciding she wanted out, not because Hogan didn't want to write for J&J. I didn't want to see Jack paired with a Jennifer recast, and what are the chances that J&J fans would be appeased with Jack moving on to another love interest???

I love Ashford, and I hate to see him go, but that doesn't mean we should diss Stefano's return. It's business, and I think this is a VERY smart move under a VERY good writer.

• Members

We don't know how Hogan will write him. Previous regimes made him that way but Hogan may write him differently and more grounded, which I am sure he will based on his interview.

You did hit the nail right on the head. Days had to make cuts so they made convenient cuts like Matt and Billy because Missy was leaving and Peck and Clark because the story did not catch on. It sucks they had to cut but it was done. I think it is smart to bring characters like Steve/Kayla and Stefano back to offset the firings. It is a good way ensuring that you don't lose much of anything since all 3 are extremely popular and have major story potential since they were off for so long. Everyone knows I beleive Carrie and Austin were written into a corner but Jack had potential. Is it unfair to fans of those being cut? Sure it is but Days knows that Steve/Kayla brings in numbers (Days grabbed 3rd and held on because so many Steve/Kayla fans came back otherwise it would've took weeks) and Stefano does as well. By getting good numbers, they will be able to possibly bring people like MA and CC back. We already know Hogan likes Jack so there you go. I will agree with you the timing is wrong in regards to the fans but it is right in terms of holding ratings IMO. It's all a business decision and I think people need to remember that, not that we all have to agree with it. Again, I know there are some that don't like this idea and think it is a poor decision but the majority is for this and that is what Days is doing this for.

I think the wise thing is to watch and see what develops. I remember saying that we should all wait until about 6 months into Hogan's run to judge these decisions and what is being done. Only then can something be called a failure or a poor decision since the impact of all this will then be known.

• Members

As written by Pat Falken Smith and Margaret DePriest, Stefano was a spectacular character. The DiMeras were a great family of Salem. Tony was always tortured because he didn't want to turn out like his dad. It was well-written, above everything else.

If this is the Stefano we get back on Days, then I'm all for it. I think Hogan wants to erase what happened to Stefano under the great Reilly and take the character back to what it once was.

And I couldn't agree more that we might still have Jack/Jen if this couple hadn't been put through the ringer, tortured and basically ripped apart a thousand times over by Reilly. I do think the timing of this sucks, because it's going to look like "we fired all these actors just to get Joe Mascolo back on the canvas", but I'm going to see what happens with this story.

• Members

As good as Hogan is, it's a strech to expect him to restore "classic Stefano". Stefano has not been written realistically for 20 years. And it's inevitable he will be linked to this Gloved Hand nonsense as well as Steve's disapperance...thus reinforcing the idea of the cartoon villain messing with everyone's lives.

• Administrator

Stefano was great under Reilly. From his return with the medical condition to Paris! It wasn't until the jungle storyline when Stefano started to go downhill and then with SSM, she just took him over the edge with his obsession with art.

I'm excited to see what Sheffer/Milstein will do with Stefano.

Archived