DAYS: August 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Members

I'd be hesitant to even call it a story.  It was just a serious of several humiliating plot points.  We didn't actually get to see anyone's point of view and the characters (besides Leo) air so infrequently that you have no continuity.  I have no idea why Nancy would like Clyde.  He gave her a stolen bracelet and they had a few dinners at the pub.  That's not a relationship.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are certain characters you can leave off screen for periods of time like John, Patch, Doug, Julie, Maggie, Victor etc.  They are established.   We know what they are doing off screen for the most part.  If you are trying to build a relationship with two characters (especially one with a very questionable background) you have to show it to at least give the audience a little context.  

Now I am not advocating Clyde/Nancy having more airtime than those vets.  I would rather watch John/Patch's old asses catch petty criminals at Black Patch all day.  But if you are going to do a serious romance between Clyde/Nancy at least give them build up or don't do it at all.  I am on the don't do it at all side.  Everything Ron does overall is just so lazy.  

• Members

Neither is given backrubs and sharing a plate of scrambled eggs in a sh*thole studio apartment. You know what? Maybe I'm the one who should re-examine what a relationship truly is. First, I'll go on a smooth-sailing date, and then come by the second date, I'm putting nasal spray, dental floss, ointments, mouthwash, and any other toiletry you can think of in their medicine cabinet. Et voila! I'm now in a relationship. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Perhaps we all should re think our relationships.  

Honestly, the Ava/Jake stuff didn't bother me because it was a way to get rid of Jake and move Ava on to a different story/sphere, so I am fine with it.  Ava's most developed romantic relationship on this show was RoboJohn in 2008.  And that hasn't been spoken of since nor was it more than a month or two.

Johnny/Chanel's entire relationship and marriage took place off screen as well.

The thing with Clyde/Nancy is you actually have to work on it to make it even slightly viable.  But RC won't so it's just a pointless waist of the audience and the actor's time.

• Members

Well, it's kind of like Eric and Jada too. I was trying to think of a really lame pairing especially when all Ava and Jake did was pass a roll a toilet paper to each other while they were using the bathroom. But, for Eric and Jada. How long has Jada been in Salem? A week or so? I don't know squat about her at all, and here she is having some kind of lunch at Brady Pub and immediately becomes smitten with Eric. Who is she besides a cop who was once married? What's her story? What's her deep past? Like I said, I don't know squat about her. I probably won't like her anyway, but still.

If I were a couples fan (which I'm totally not), then give viewers something to root for them. Instead, their blossoming relationship is over a bedroom above the Brady Pub. And Eric is right down the hall in case Jada needs fresh pillows or if there's a leaky faucet in the bathroom. And for Nicole? No need for jealousy as that boring conversation was just about as dull as her Mr. Panda. Whatever that stuffed animal doll she treasures. 

Half of these relationships on DAYS don't even seem like relationships. Don't even get me started on Belle and Shawn. L-A-M-E  O!

Edited by Noel

• Members

I actually think they are trying with Jada.  We don't know a lot about her, but she has a discernible personality at least.  A pushy, kind of obnoxious one, but she's not exactly bland.  I can't blame her for being immediately smitten with Eric.  Greg Vaughn's a hottie lol.  I don't care for her and Eric, but they seem to be trying Jada with numerous guys (Eric, Rafe, Shawn). It does feel like Jada is a vague replacement for Lani though.

Belle and Shawn have been lame since 1999, so it's more of the same.  All the vets feel like they are in real relationships.  The only "younger" people that seem to have a real relationship at this point are Brady/Chloe.  A boring relationship, but I do feel like they have an actual love and desire for one another.

• Members

I think they're still building Jada as a character. There's obviously testing the chemistry with other actors, but I don't mind them doing that. She does have chemistry with Eric and I saw a little bit with Shawn too.

I'm sure we'll learn more about her as time goes on.

• Members

Agreed.  I don't necessarily like Jada yet, but I feel like the effort is being made to work her around the canvas a bit and the show is actually trying to see who she has chemistry with before making her destine for a specific character.  I hate to give RC any credit, but I think they are doing a fairly good job integrating her.

• Members

The kid playing Thomas is adorable (those lashes) and a good little actor. His make-up scenes with Chad were touching, and very cute when he finally lost his tooth.

Sonny put his tennis shoed foot on the coffee table today and I yelled at the screen. What the hell is wrong with you, boy!? Reminds me of George Clooney’s guest spot on The Golden Girls when he has his shoes ON THE BED.

If this show has such a hard-on for RSW and just can’t quit him, I’m seriously considering that giving him a totally new character may be for the best. I would much rather tolerate him playing some trying too hard playboy than the ham fisted writing forcing the reformed necktie killer down our throats. (“If Dr. Marlena Evans says he’s a good man, then he must be.”)

• Members

I guess for me is that I don't understand the rush of it all. Is one absolutely nothing without a love interest or is that the reason why people watch soaps is because they like couples? Have you ever watched those Rom-Com movies where a couple asks the single character if she's married or has a boyfriend and she tells them that she's single? Then, there's this sad look on the couple's face as they look down on her with pity? Seriously. What's so wrong about being single? Sh*t, that means there's more people I can have fun with. I don't want to be tied down with the same ol' same ol'. As for Eric, I don't give a rat's patooty if he's a hottie or not. I've had plenty of hotties who are terrible in bed not to mention no substance. Why can't characters just stay single for a while, and when the right time time comes, let things happen organically? 

For example, Nancy. She just got divorced. I know that when it comes to relationships or marriages, healness takes time after a breakup or divorce. Instead, Nancy immediately jumps right in it after signing her divorce papers to Craig. Yet, on the other side of town, I'm surprised Chad hasn't talked to a new woman as fast-paced as these storylines are evolving. But, that's just me. 

Edited by Noel

• Members

I don't think Eric/Jada are being rushed really.  Jada thought Eric was cute and nice (he is) and they decided to go running and then have lunch.  That sounds super casual to me and they have both (presumably) been single for a while.  I don't think any soap does a great job of keeping characters single for long periods of time.  It's certainly not something Days has ever excelled at.  I can't think of any main character that was single for a long period of time on Days off the top of my head.  Marlena in the 90's?-and even she was in love with John.  In real life being single is great, but on a soap it's just not something that happens often.  We will have to agree to disagree on this one @Noel, although I 100% agree with you about Nancy moving on at lightning speed after a 30 year marriage imploded. 

On the broader idea of couples on Days, I do think Days does a horrible job with couples that aren't over 50 lol.  They have done a terrible job establishing any tentpole couple in the younger generation.  Ben/Ciara were problematic and are gone, Chad/Abby were probably the best, but they killed her off, Will/Sonny get no airtime, Brady/Chloe, Belle/Shawn, and Eric/Nicole are okay, but mostly dull.  The show's most romantic couple are couples that have long been enjoying their AARP memberships

IMO, this is a critical failure that is a very big part of the reason Days is being sent to Peacock to die.

• Members

No offense to RSW (Alex feels like a mix between AMC Pete and DAYS Ben) but yeah, they shouldn't have. Missed opportunity. Alex feels throwaway.

Meanwhile, it was nice to see Eric and Belle sharing scenes. They moved way too fast with EJ/Belle, unless they knock her up. Ron loves his baby storylines. "They're easy". Anvil mighta been dropped with Belle all "no thanks to Jan's spawn being Shawn's" ... what goes around comes around ...

I love Jada Hunter already. So glad she's Marcus Hunter's daughter. I like Jada/Eric. 

Nicole feels so bland with Rafe. I'd re-pair Kate/Rafe honestly but that ship long sailed.

Enjoyed Chad/Thomas and CadyJennifer. "Hi cousin Shawn". Awww.

Leo's still a trip. So annoyed they dumped Craig. 

I don't mind Nancy/Clyde (on paper they work, and it's great to see Patrika Darbo still being used and I love James Reade). She in her heyday was a conniving bitch, so it makes sense but they play them wrong (a running theme with the main show).

I did miss a bit. Did Sami and Lucas get married OFF SCREEN?

And they made a point to have Gabi say she was 9 years old. I was half expecting a teenage Arianna at this point but maybe they keep her where she should be age-wise. Like Will is basically the age he should be.

Ugh at the Brady/Belle aging (much like Claire was aged too fast but ORK made it work) ... I've bitched a lot about it. It's also glaring because Brady/deadAbby should be in the same group and now with Alex, RSW is more a contemporary to Sonny than his older brother. Just yikes moves at times that jar the show. Easy mistakes they shouldn't make. Would it have killed them to just, sorry but, let RSW go? I'm sure B&B would hire him.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

What an upgrade as Sonny Kiriakis. Seriously. Yum.

I'm over the 'business stories' ... seriously over them. They should just be a backdrop. Y&R did them better back in their heyday.

JER did ok with the Titan stuff back in the 90s.

Jake/Ava wasn't horrible but it's blink and you miss it, like EJ/Belle (who was THIRSTY for his nether regions). Jake was a bootleg Stefan. It just didn't work.

Was going to say good job on recasting Rolf but he was SO cartoonish. I miss William Utay. And Haiduk felt checked out. It's like they always want Eileen but it's like they have Stacy rush in to play her. Love you Haiduk but I prefer her Susan, like I always say LOL.

Ava/EJ are probably next. Or we get EJ/Ava/Johnny which could be good if they invest in it. I like Carson Boatman ... not sorry about it  

Gwen feels like she's teetering on 'will she stay or will she go' territory. I'd play her with Gabi/Li. Stephanie should have had a past with Li.

Edited by KMan101