ARTICLE: ‘Days of our Lives’ Head Writer Posts Query: “Tell me your job so I can tweet at you how you’re doing it wrong”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ron has has faults yes, but he IS NOT the reason for ONE LIFE TO LIVe no longer existing, that's ABC's fault. At the time of ONE LIFE's cancellation, it was higher rated than AMC or GH!  ABC's favoritism of GH is the real reason ONE LIFE and AMC were canceled. Both IMHO all around were the best ABC soaps.   That said I do wish DAYS would axe Ron, the devil storyline mess, the Craig/Nancy/Leo mess, the SarahRenee mess are all part of the reason he deserves to be replaced.   

• Members

Ultimately, and this has always been the case with Days: the problem lies with Ken Corday. Ken either likes the crap Ron puts on, has no clue how to guide and limit the writers worst impulses and/or ceded power over the writers to NBC in order to keep the show on the air. I am inclined to believe it's a combo of the last two I listed.  Ron is off the rails and has gotten worse each year he's been with the show.  Basically, don't watch the show unless you want Saturday morning cartoon mentality for 10 year olds.

• Members

Yeah, you can blame Ron for a lot of things, but OLTL (and AMC) ending didn't have to do with ratings - it had to do with ABC thinking they could produce cheaper programming and get roughly the same ratings, thus increasing their profit. Ultimately, the replacement shows bombing pretty much saved General Hospital, otherwise it would've been gone by now too.

• Webmaster

While "One Life to Live" had greatly improved its ratings, ranking above both "All My Children" and "General Hospital" among Total Viewers, at the time the cancellation announcement was made the show had already been axed by the higher ups. albeit without telling the show's cast and crew. It was too late to reverse course as they were already planning on giving away the show's time slot and they already had cheaper replacements in place with staff hired and at the ready. "General Hospital" only survived because of Brian Frons advocating for the show and the complete and utter failure of "The Revolution." Had "The Revolution" performed better, "GH" would have been axed too as there would have been no slot for it on the lineup.

• Members

Ron is a loser, and I'm sorry, but all of his DAYS cronies publicly high-fiving him in the comments would make me stop watching/supporting the bag of warm sh!t that is Days of Our Lives immediately - that is, if I was watching it. It seems to me that very few people involved care about what they're bringing to the audience at all. They're completing tasks so that they can get paid. Hey, that's fine, we all gotta eat. But if audience satisfaction is that far from your realm of caring, then don't cry when your ratings tank.

And this person suffers from the same ailment as Ron, the legitimate belief that the history of daytime soap opera began in the 80s. What the fck do you mean DAYS has "always" been popular because of campy comic book action/adventure nonsense? Bill Bell ought to smite the sht out of whomever wrote this foolishness.

• Members

When the HW, which is Ron, doesn't care about the audience then how will the show improve? When he says in interviews for fans to get over the fact that Ciara married at serial killer...well that says it all.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

You're an icon! Keep on keepin' on, my friend!!!

Sean Kanan has gone on record stating he was not a fan of the writing during his return to General Hospital for the fiftieth anniversary. At the time of his exit, he stated this:

I was thrilled to be brought back to GH for the 50th anniversary and really enjoyed working with Frank Valentini, but I was not over the moon about the writing. Doing stories about panic attacks and relish was not what I thought I’d signed up for. I feel I brought everything I could to the character yet it was obvious they weren’t going to give me a great love story, which I found very disappointing.

• Members

I don't remember Kanan ever publicly trashing the writing while he was on the show. I've always assumed his personality simply rubbed Frank and Ron the wrong way, and they responded accordingly by dragging him onscreen. I've certainly heard things about some folks finding SK obnoxious as hell, but that has nothing to do with whether he or any other actor delivers onscreen and is popular with the audience, and they shouldn't have made it personal. The way they treated him and A.J. was low.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Agree.  But, as I've said elsewhere, that's truly Ron's (and Frank's) style.  They LIVE to demean actors who they either can't control or just plain dislike for whatever reason.  And not that other writers and/or producers haven't ever "made it personal," but those two in particular seem to lack the ability to make it not obvious.

Exactly.  No writer is immune to criticism, but most learn to develop a thick skin about it.  Ron Carlivati can't, or won't, because, deep down, he knows what his detractors say about his work is the truth; and like the guy said in that movie, he can't handle the truth.

Again, Ron Carlivati just needs to stay the hell off social media.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I also seem to remember Frank & Ron not liking that SK didnt have the body he had during his 1993-1997 stint. I remember that Carly/AJ sex scene than Nada. I liked him with Both Carly & Liz. Wasted Oppourtunities 

Edited by John

• Members

They ragged on his body in the scripts, yes. But we don't know what the origin of their actual beef with him was, and I suspect it came down to personality. (Ron beefed with John Stamos similarly at the time, who was much more outspoken.)