DOOL: Vet Returns

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I also tend to still see Melissa as Jennifer - I just wish there was not so much baggage. I think Cady is great but I  also think she was lucky to only be a fill-in and have a story in that period which was not some of the real low points the character had (imagine her being there during the Shawn Christian years).

• Members

Cady's lack of real expressiveness (IMO) giving the impression of life to a character like Jennifer, who used to be so full of energy and expressiveness, is really damning to Melissa Reeves. Is there a really awful acting coach that Melissa and Freddie Smith have semi-recently used, or what?

• Members

There has always been an earnestness that Missy brought to Jen.  She is much less glamourous than Marlena or Hope but Missy has always had a natural appeal. There is something very likable about her, but her real life just isn't likable at all.  I just think MR has a warmth Cady does not have naturally.  Anyhow, if they said Cady was taking over the role forever I'd be fine.  I just still think Missy will always be Jen.   Plus, her great chemistry with MA.  You aren't gonna be able to just replicate that with someone else, but CM never bothered me even though MR has played Jen since she was practically a kid.  So it's kind of a wash?  I like them both as Jen.

• Members

I tend to be anti-recast when you have an original performer in a role for years and years and years. Except for when I feel like someone is checked out, like Stafford, Kelly Monaco, Michael O’Leary, or Missy. (I’d actually add Matt Ashford to that list, which pains me, because I once loved him. He seems tired.) But I can understand why people are invested in MR. For me, Cady just lit a fire under Jennifer, similar to how Gina Tognoni revitalized Phyllis. 

• Members

Cady just had a different take on Jen and it wasn't bad.  CM just leaves me with the same impression Robin Christopher does.  They are very, very good just a little cold.  I was never a huge Jen fan.  She was always a 2nd tier heroine to me, but I know she has a huge following.  I am not sure Missy was exactly phoning it in-girl has some [!@#$%^&*] writing-but she may be tired.  I always have weird sympathy for MR because I think she lives in a very controlling situation.  Her actions are not appropriate at all, and I am not condoning her behavior,  but I always got creeped out Scott made her quit her job and move away instead of just divorcing her like a normal human.

• Members

I feel the exact same way. I don't care about her personal views, I accepted she was going to be Jennifer, but the character has been unwatchable for YEARS. Cady brought Jennifer back to life and came in at a horrible time story wise, but still made the relationships with Jack, Abby and Laura believable. 

• Members

I can't agree more about your Missy vs. Cady assessment!

I am a huge Jenn/J&J fan, so I definitely have a dog in this fight . . . I do think she is on par with Marlena and Hope as the lead legacy heroines and I think the familiarity and history Missy provides is pretty irreplaceable.  But, like I said, I think Jenn is a really vital lead character, so I'd gladly take Cady full-time over visits or a very reduced schedule from Missy (which I think she had for years).  And as such a big Missy as Jennifer fan, I am deeply disappointed by her "personal beliefs" but I can separate actress from character here.  Like, just seeing Missy's Jenn in the Horton house and that being her home now . . . just the imagery stirs so much emotion in me . . . Cady's Jenn in the Horton house did not conjure any of those feelings in me.  But given time, I'm sure she'd settle in better re. those aspects.  But I do hate to think of anyone being uncomfortable on set with Missy.  So idk, this is tough.

• Members

I used to love Missy as Jennifer.  But her real life antics are too hard for me to ignore for the character.  I do admit though that knowing LR and ED are going to be on the new show made me have some nostalgia for MR as Jennifer.  I loved the relationship between Jennifer, Billie, and Kristen back then.  Ugh.

• Members

I loved Billie, Kristen, and Jen's friendship.  I loved them all dressed up at Maison Blanche with all the intrigue going on with Stefano.

I think it really is all in Missy's hands.  Corday sued her and brought her back.  I don't think the show will ever out right fire her or have they before?  I can't remember if she left back in the 2000's or if  they fired Missy and Matt.    She does seemed less liked on set than someone like Ingo, who doesn't seem to get called out for his similar views by anyone except NLG.

Her antics did make some news outlets, but I doubt most viewers know.  I am sure she has plenty of fans still.   I also think Missy becomes more valuable without Kristian Alfonso/Hope around.   I wouldn't be surprised if Corday and crew and Missy were just waiting for the scandal to die down a bit.  

• Members

The comment section to the TvLine article is a mess - honestly, I can separate actors and the characters, so I don't mind Missy returning; she is Jennifer Horton for better or worse even if I wouldn't mind Cady stepping into the role permanently too. With that said, the one good comment in the TvLine article was someone suggesting DAYS implementing a social media policy - not looking at any people specifically (cough cough, Missy and Camilla, cough cough).