Days: March 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't agree with that; all the more since the award systems has always been completely messed up when it comes to soaps.
Whether it is the Emmys or anybody else, judging based on one episode or two always leads to really dumb choices because the people who vote don't watch the shows. One good episode when you air five episodes a week 52 weeks a year is not a representative sample.
And the writing skill for a soap should actually reward consistency over one isolated good episode - the same way I wish acting awards for soaps would reward steady non-showy subtle character work over years rather than one big dramatic scene.

But I am still glad soaps are getting recognized even when it is the wrong one (and to be fair, none of the shows had stellar writing last year so Days is not necessarily the wrong choice in context)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My question is what's spurring on the new sets?

1. DAYS has yet to announce a renewal and as far as I know this is the latest the show has gone without a renewal announcement. 

2. The existing sets were acceptable as is. Y&R and B&B have maintained so many of their sets for decades - what is the benefit for DAYS to spend money recreating existing sets when the show has struggled with its budget for years?

• Members

Well the ranch and Chancellor House redesigns were major disasters so I think both of them would have been fine staying as is.

On B&B I can't think of any of their regular sets that has been "redesigned". The Forrester house, Brooke's house, the beach house, the offices at Forrester's are still the same decades later.

• Members

Is it me or does it seem like in recent weeks the use of flashbacks and dream sequences have increased? Very JER feeling. Perhaps the flashbacks are being used more regularly because the pacing is so bad. That aside, I agree DAYS is the most entertaining of the remaining soaps. Congrats to Ron but hopefully the pacing improves.

• Members

Camila Banus has become such an asset to this show and really makes Gabi work, even though the character is usually insane and never has believable, consistent motivation.  Like even during the dumbest $h!t, she's always a character I pay attention to.  The only time I have NO use for her is when she's after Chad, for whatever reason it happens to be this time.

And I know we've been talking about sets lately, but I've gotta say the show is on a visual high these days.  Sometimes it's too darkly lit, but I really like the sets they have in rotation now (except for the K sitting room) and depending on the director, the camera angles and movement can be pretty on point by "Days" standards depending on the day.