DAYS: 30+ Year Vet Quits!

I'm surprised she lasted this long. But it's still shocking. Hope has been destroyed yrs ago with one crappy story after another. I haven't liked Hope in ages. 80's Fancy Face was my favorite incarnation of the character. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

While I haven't watched DAYS in years, reading this just makes me sad. Hope was one of my favorite characters. I don't know what she became in recent years, but she is an iconic character as well as Kristian being a recognizable face of DAYS and daytime in general. I doubt she filled any real goodbye scenes, so having Hope be a character that will just disappear without a real goodbye is just heartbreaking and IMO another nail in the coffin of DAYS.

• Members

I'm always going to sort of want to see more of Jack and Jennifer...I don't know why as they have been so badly written for so long and I don't even know what their current material is. 

As for Kristian, a part of me is surprised she didn't stay to the end, as the end must not be far off honestly, but I guess this year has caused a lot of reflection about spending more time in such a grueling job.

• Members

Part of me was shocked when I first saw the headline yesterday but TPTB hadn't know what to do with Kristian since Peter Reckell left the show. It's sad that Bo had viable love interests during his time of being without Hope. But with Bo gone she was stuck with Aiden and Rafe. I always wanted Peter Blake to come back and slowly fall for her much to the envy of Jennifer. Yeah I know that it won't never happen. But I think at least it would've taken the character into another direction. 

Kristian going does free up some funds to perhaps build another set or bring in one or two characters onto the canvas. 

Someone said on Twitter that it seems like Corday is about to sell the show? (I'm not sure) 

I think we're getting more exits as well. 

• Members

I loved Hope for a long time.  I’m sad from a nostalgia standpoint, but happy for her to do whatever she wants to do.  The show and her character have not been well served for a long time.

When she came back, and Peter returned to play out the rest of her return storyline, it was a great time for the show and for their fans.  That was a long time ago.  I can’t say I have loved any storyline she has had since.  Which is kind of true for the whole show.  I haven’t loved DAYS since the mid 1990’s.

• Members

I must say, that is shocking. I thought KA would be there until the end, but it must have got to the point where it was just not worth it anymore.

Obviously, being forced to operate in such restrictive budgetary conditions has been an issue for Days for a long time. I cannot foresee a time when the budget will be allowed to increase meaningfully tbh.

• Members

I have to agree that as much as I loved Hope, she was never comfortably the center of everything, the true lead like Julie, Marlena, Kayla, Carly, Kristen and Sami. Now Bo was often the leading male character, no matter who was playing him or his romantic pairing.

The one time they really did it, Princess Gina, was mostly a mess as far as I am concerned.

I do love scenes between her and Doug.

• Members

Ditto. Yes, Hope has been written terribly in the last 5 years, save for the Bo & Hope reunion, but she makes DAYS feel like DAYS and helps root the Horton family. To me, it's a big loss to the show. 

Agreed. I thought for sure she'd be there til the end, as Deidre, Drake, Suzanne etc. seem committed to doing. 

• Members

I feel like that's the issue with so many current soap supercouples, DAYS being the most to suffer, when one-half of a major couple leaves. There's always that "place holder" feeling when they try to pair someone up again. The original couples were so strongly rooted in the 80's and 90's, that it would be near impossible to create a new coupling that's considered a true success.

Jennifer with... Daniel? Nah. 

Justin with... anyone? Blah

Kayla with... someone other than Steve? Placeholder.

Ditto for John or Marlena or Hope. 

And deep down, we're all hoping Renee Jones can come out of retirement to reprise her first DAYS role, Nikki Wade, because you KNOW Ron would go there if Renee wanted back. (though Vanessa Williams' Valerie was a FANTASTIC find and could've held roots with Abe, but the show squandered it, no surprise). 

We all want the yesteryear of soaps. It's all nostalgia at this point. No wonder the Y&R repeats are still getting better Nielsens than current DAYS

• Members

I don't think it is not possible. I don't think new pairings can reach the same height of popularity as the original super couple, but they don't have to be.

For me, Hope really worked with Aidan. And then the show decided to turn Aidan into a lunatic. So even when they had something, the show just blew it with their bad choices. 

This is why supercouples are actually bad. They make characters involved very difficult to sell in other stories/pairings.