Stars Daytime pushed to make happen and Failed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don’t even recall that actresses name off the top of my head but she was awful and seemed to get paired or tested with everyone. I remember she was first brought in to prop both Sandy & Johnathan but somehow stuck around into being in an instant feud with Olivia. I guess they gave up on her because she ran out of men her age to sleep with. 

• Members

The first actor that sprung to mind under this topic was Victor Webster (Nicholas Alamain on Days).  I recall that within his first month on the show he was featured on Entertainment Tonight, and there was a spread (pardon the pun) in Playgirl.  All of this publicity for an ill-conceived SORAS character that was gone within a year and later de-Sorased.

Of course, Mr. Webster went on to work elsewhere, (including a memorable striptease in a tv movie about the Chippendale murders), but it was remarkable how much press he got for his first role in daytime that ultimately made very little impact.

I would also place children of actors into this category, (Ryan Brown, Morgan Englund, and Clementine Ford).  Lots of press attention was given due to their inherited celebrity status, but they never developed a fan base on their own.

Finally, Jennifer Hammon (Karen Wexler) was literally the face of Port Charles when it first debuted.  She was the center of the plot, Scotty and other characters were established to be within her orbit, and she was photographed on all of the posters and commercials for the show.  A year later, after joining a cult and being groomed to be Tom Cruise's wife, she left the show and was never heard from again.

Similarly, Vanessa Dorman (Caitlin Deschanel) on Sunset Beach was the center of a major baby switch plot line involving her mother (played by Lesley-Ann Down) and husband (Eddie Cibrian) only to ask for more money, get fired/recast, and become a trivia question for hard core soap fans.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think that’s a pretty good assessment.

Who is Ryan Brown related to? I agree he failed miserably on both GL and Y&R. In fact Brown’s casting at Y&R surprised me as was there no one else for the role? Suspiciously like a Lucy Johnson directive to me. 

I remember ATWT hyping they had hired Spencer Grammer in the pivotal of Lucy and comparing her talent to Jennifer Landon at the time. Well as it turned out the apple fell really far from the tree on that one and she was let go a few months later. She then had that crappy ABC Family show but after that ended she went back into the woodworks. 

• Members

Same. 

I thought MBE gave good bitca. And I looked forward to her feuding with Lucy during the Nurse Ball every year. 

Of course, I didn't know about her and SN on DAYS at the time so I liked them together. And how gothic it was. And everything with the ball and her conversation with Laura is one of my favorites with the duality, acting, writing, EVERYTHING...and then she came back looking like a mini-Helena HAHAHAHAHA. They could have been bitter adversaries (Stefan and Katherine) forever. 

I sooo liked him loosening up Jill on Y&R, while I like the recast, I felt he had some chemistry with JW.

Now some of them are not quick.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Touché. That’s very true. I don’t think Roger Howarth on GH as Franco ever really happened, yet here we are eight years later with him as a constant presence (and paired with a character the show doesn’t particularly hold in high esteem). 

• Members

Victor Webster was blazing hot.  I assume that's why he was pimped.  I don't think anyone, anywhere thought he was a good actor.  He was pretty charismatic in a role that just made no sense with the aging.  He was in a love triangle with Kate and KA's Billie.  That's a no win situation lol.

I really liked Jennifer Hammon's Karen.  Much better than Marie Wilson's.  To be fair, she probably got most of the publicity within the "younger" cast because she was actually tied to GH.  But also never heard from again so I could be wrong lol.

Stefan had/has so much potential still.  Katherine was pretty ill-conceived, but MBE played her well.  I always disliked the fact they dumped the intriguing Bobbie/Stefan pairing for Kat/Stefan.

I would certainly agree Howarth has never happened on GH.  To go from James Franco's Franco to whatever it is RH is playing these days will never stop being mind boggling.  I really want to know what on earth Frank or whoever was truly thinking with this.  Can't GH just cut him and save the money and hire someone back the audience cares about?

• Members

Hahaha. 

Which is a shame because quite a few fans LOVE Liz more than Franco. 

And while I liked some of RC's writing...I LOATHE how Franco would worm his way into other people's tales. I mean...even now does the majority of fans accept him really? 

THANK YOU!!! Victor Webster was sex on a stick at one point. And had the charisma at least to make up for some of that acting. 

With Jennifer Harmon, I like that they did what they did with TB as recast Carly...found a recast who looked similarly to their predecessor. Always respected that and at one point had to research to be sure it wasn't the first actress. 

• Members

True Jennifer Hammon and Marie Wilson looked a lot alike.  And they favored Cari Shayne, so good job casting!  I always felt so bad for Karen leaving another sex on a stick candidate Jagger for dull, boring Joe Scanlon lol.  Antonio Sabato Jr. is another candidate for being heavily pushed because he was hot with no discernible acting skills, only to leave after 1 contract cycle to do whatever he does now.  Try to make a GH return happen? lol  Poor Jagger never even gets a mention during the numerous Stone tributes we have had through the years.  I guess he got the guest stint on Night Shift though lol.

• Members

Liz fans love her having a man valued by the EP and getting airtime. That's it. Some of those folks would be down for her with Sonny or the Emperor from Star Wars if it kept Becky employed and on 3 days a week. They cape for Franco bc it's airtime and prominence, their feelings mean nothing to me in this instance.

• Members

Years ago Billy Hufsey was pushed as Emilio on Days. He had the bad boy/good girl template writing with Adreienne, Jennifer and Melissa,lots of sexy photo shoots etc and was even brought back but nothing seemed to work. 

tumblr_pbk5twfezJ1v0ovs0o2_640.jpg
Edited by Paul Raven