Stars Daytime pushed to make happen and Failed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I loved Kale Browne on AW as a kid but he was horrendous on OLTL and then the GH stuff just got laughable.

I always liked Robin Christopher on all the ABC soaps but I can see why people didn't.

Did anyone like Alicia Leigh Willis either time? GH definitely tried to make her a thing and for someone who ate up so much airtime, she's basically forgotten on the show. I don't think people really hated her, but I don't think anyone was sad to see Mary Beth Evans leave GH. Jensen Buchanan was of course also awful on GH.

It's not the exact question being asked but GH history is filled with characters the show trie to make happen that never took off. Some of them even had big names in the role. 

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Members

Speaking of Kale Browne does anyone else remember for a couple years on Days I’d say during the Sheffer years Browne kept playing a go to doctor that everyone had when they went to the hospital or had hospital scenes? I wonder if Browne’s role was suppose to be bigger like John Callahan’s character was or if Browne just needed the paycheck lol.

• Members

ALW's Courtney was slightly promising in the beginning with AJ.  But awful after that.  I do sorta remember liking her with Jax at first, but the drab 4 years were just so much..  And I think Spencer remembers her?  But agreed she never spoken about in any other context.  Mike doesn't even mention her.

I like Katherine Bell.  I liked MBE as a bitch and in the Ned/Lois story and with Lucy.  But it was when they paired her with SN's Stefan and pushed her off a parapet  a million times it was done lol!

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Courtney appeared as a ghost a few years ago. It was mostly a showcase for a Frank Valentini fave, little Nicolas Bechtel, who in fairness has become a decent actor since then but really should be recast/SORASed as Spencer.

• Members

I know he is a big part of B&B but was Clifton that pushed on GH and OLTL? OLTL fired him and threw him under the bus for godawful Rex. 

I think she was cast on AW pre-JFP, but I agree she was wrong for the part. 

He was already on AW at that time, but she pushed him into a central role. 

• Members

Scott Clifton was a surprise hit for GH along with Lindze Letherman as Georgie and their pairing together, so they quickly overexposed him while just as quickly beginning to disenfranchise her for not being 'hot' enough. They worked to push him with Julie Berman's Lulu, with anyone else, but ultimately his run petered out when non-Georgie story for Dillon failed and ran dry. By the time he did OLTL he was yesterday's hot guy, which is probably why they were allowed to have him. He had no favorite treatment or protection there and was sadly discarded right as the show was planning to pair him with Daphnee Duplaix's Rachel. Then he went to CBS and he's got security for years to come.

• Members

For me, “not happening” means someone who hops from soap to soap (edit: or is force-fed to us intermittently on a single soap), is pushed heavily or paired with popular characters romantically or as part of a core family, only to be greeted with a “meh,” a quick axing or a ticket to the backburner. Some of these people seemed like they happened with brief success on one soap but were revealed to be a flash in the pan when they tried to re-create that success elsewhere in daytime. IMO Scott Clifton, as awful as Liam is, definitely “happened” on B&B. He’s led that show for years.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I guess my point about Clifton is that he was heavily featured on all 3 soaps he was on at some point and he's totally bland to me in every way.  And not someone I would think would have this long of a soap career.

I would consider Jacob Young the same way.  Not necessarily a failure, but wholly unimpressive in all his roles.

Didn't know that about RC/JFP, I think I always assumed she was responsible for the Lorna recast.