Stars Daytime pushed to make happen and Failed

• Members

Seeing yesterday’s B&B episode with Brian Gaskell reminds of how CBS Daytime kept pushing him in front -burner roles that kept flopping. First B&B, then ATWT, and finally GL. Or the obsession with Sarah Brown over the years (ATWT, B&B, and well I did like her on Days but still). What other actors and actresses should have daytime stopped trying to make happen? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Don't forget Brian Gaskill's roles on AMC and PORT CHARLES.  ABCD tried hard to make him "pop," too.  Guess both networks operated under the assumption that he had a massive following from "Models, Inc."?

• Members

Agree on Sarah Brown, but I would say Tamara Braun.  GH twice, Days twice, and AMC.  Granted she was popular on her first stints on Days/GH, but her 2nd stints were failures.  

Scott Clifton was/is heavily pushed on all his soap roles. 

Michael Easton in all his roles especially his 10 million GH roles.

Are we talking about multiple failures in roles or just one really heavily pushed role like Cameron Mathison or Alicia leigh Willis (not counting her fairly minor AW role)?

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I couldn’t stand rikaart for years on Y&R and then thought he was a hoot on DAYS. Sometimes it is just the writing.

someone like gaskill or Michael Easton who has flopped over and over fits the bill more IMO. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Michael Easton.  I have even enjoyed him in some roles, but looking at him in daytime-

If I remember correctly, his DAYS character was written out, and the show was not performing well then.

On PC, he was popular as Caleb, but how popular can you be on a show that was the lowest rated soap and cancelled when he was driving story?

OLTL- McBain ate the show, and the insistence of keeping him always front and center was polarizing at best.

GH- three characters (four of you count the Vampire mini-story)!  The current one they had the right idea by attaching him to a fan favorite.  But it’s just ridiculous.  His constant employment there by Frank ( and we all know it is Frank), is worse than any FOJ stuff from Jill Farren Phelps.

• Members

Oh god, I forgot about Tamara Braun at Days

Please register in order to view this content

I was thinking more of the lines of actors who have failed at multiple soaps but of course there I think every soap has  that one actor/actress  who fails at everything on a single soap yet the failure lasts for years.

I wonder if Julie Pinson counts too? I remember reading she had success at Port Charles but it was a real flash in the pan. Next came her Y&R role which was hyped up but was just short guest stint. After that it was Days, where I liked her as Billie later on but critically it was a mixed bag. The less said about her ATWT work the better.

I forgot about him doing Models Inc but wasn’t he only in a few episodes of it? That reminds of Jon Conboy forcibly shoving down Teresa Hill’s character Eden down us GL viewers throats in 2003.

• Members

I always question this. When one soap gets cancelled the most "popular" (aka frontburner) actors always end up clogging up one of the remaining soap operas. But...their shows were cancelled when they were front and center? So maybe, just maybe, the audience didn't love them as much as the execs and diehard fanatics so why are they stinking up MY show?

• Members

At first, she was a welcome spark on a lifeless show.  But I have to agree as time went on I didn’t care anymore.

Port Charles only really worked for me during that Nurses Strike era.  It was a waste of Kevin, Lucy, Scotty, and Karen.