Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow. That's insane. I don't know if I even want to look up a current pic of him, as I have no idea what he looks like past the late '90s. I didn't even know Ryan was killed off until just a few years ago.

• Members

Finally getting around to watching the episodes up in CBS.

I had almost completely forgotten about classic Y&R scene staging.  People talking to each other, turning away from them, then the second person coming in to focus over their shoulder, or across the room.  The score.  It all made it very heightened and dramatic even if they were just talking about basic human emotion.  I miss old fashioned soap closeups too.  And the costuming that makes no sense outside of soaps.

In the episode I am watching (Dru and Neil honeymoon), Jill is wearing something that absolutely would have been on Sally Field in Soapdish.  It just makes me smile- when soaps were not ashamed of who they were.

• Members

He does, it's a bad tan. Besides the terrible tan, I think he looks pretty good.

I always hated Ryan and Victoria together. Never liked them the first time nor any other time after that. I only ever liked him with Nina. I didn't like Cole with Victoria, either. I think since I couldnt stand Heather Tom that it didn't matter who they paired her with, I didn't like Victoria/Heather so therefore I didn't like her with any man. No wait, correction, back then there was 1 man I did like her with. It was EXTREMELY short lived, but I remember she was with Neil for like 2 months or something like that. I actually REALLY liked her with Neil and I was disappointed that that didn't last long.

• Members

Thanks! I remember that plot point of where Nikki was surprised that Victor didn't stop her from marrying Josh, it was stuck out like a sore thumb lol.

It definitely was a lull period for Y&R. That quad took up a lot of airtime, we're lucky that Tom and Cast were superior actresses to carry it though even though it got even worse  from her out. I recall the big events during this time were: 

-Ashley being attacked in the park and saved by the mysterious Kurt Costney who then went to live at Katherine's so the show could use Katherine I guess lol.

-Pregnant Sharon falling in a snowstorm, then spending like 2 months in the hospital asking "Is my baby going to make it?" every day she was on. 

-Danny and Phyllis getting married. 

-Jill slutting it up with John Silva again and then of course meeting the Dennison's. 

-Neil becoming a complete misogynist toward's Dru and trying to maker be a housewife and produce more babies while Olivia admired and cheered him on from the sidelines. 

-Diane returned and fell in love with Jack while Jack indirectly ruined Nick's career prospects in Seattle by acquiring a highly bankrupt company for Newman due to his own oversight, thereby royally pissing Victor off. 

Did I miss anything else? The moments of when Michael Baldwin was released from jail, Sasha's mysterious death in a fire, Grace sleeping with Nick etc. finally got the show up and running again. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Had no idea. Now I'm embarrased.

Other storylines from the lull period: A new chemist at Jabot was to be a love interest for Ashley but that pairing tanked; I can't remember the character's name but the actor was the same one who was Shawn Garrett a decade earlier. There was also little Daniel getting meningitis that lead to Danny and Phyllis getting together, and Cassie's arrival. By the second half of 1997 things starting picking up (Olivia and Malcolm's wedding, the custody battle for Daniel, Victor's pursuit of Diane) and that lead to an excellent 25th anniversary year in 1998.