Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

All of that Y&R music was on YouTube for soooooooo long, can't believe it was all taken down.

The Television Production Music Museum (TVPMM) website has a ton (let me say it again, a TON) of music from game shows, talk shows, sports broadcasts, etc. but their collection of soap music is lacking (of course). There are a bunch of 90s GL and AMC cues, but none from Y&R. I would hope that whomever has their hands on soap music would someday put their work on this site.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Said the same thing! I think some of today's plots -- on all soaps in general --- could work if the execution was better. A scene (or storyline) like Neil getting his sight back then finding Hillary and Devon in bed would have been done better back in the day. Even if the plot wasn't all that, the serious vibe of old y&r, plus the lighting, ornate directing, and eerie classical scores could have made it work. Imangine the difference in presentation had 90s y&r done psyco JT (a horrendus plot) or Victor gaslighting Sharon with Mariah.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I sometimes agree even though I genuinely like her, but, even though the story sucked, I oddly thought she did the acting of her career when she discovered Scott was cheating on her with Abby a couple years ago. She felt looser than normal, and I bought her rage more than I did when Sharon discovered Nick was cheating with Phyllis. Man, she was beautiful in the ‘90s episode, though. 

Scott Reeves was gorgeous in the ‘90s too, but I thought he looked a bit gaunt on GH. Not surprised to learn he was dealing with health issues.

• Members

Or even up to the early 00’s with what would equate to ‘run-of-the-mill’ or not-quite-headline’ scenes plonked in the middle of an episode.

While going down a soap opera rabbit hole tonight, I located these 2 videos from the Christine/Isabella story in 2003 when (a still shades-of-grey) Michael helped cover up what he thought was a crime. He had detective Weber on his back and Victor wanting him to do his bidding in the Safra/Newman v Tuvia/Jabot corporate feud.

The two dovetailed nicely:

As I said, from what I remember, neither scene closed out their respective episodes but they feel meatier than anything in the last few years and the writing, direction, music, lighting and music made that happen.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

One major difference is in the actual writing, which is just not there in today's iteration of Y&R. Storylines come and go, the consequences never last for long. Back in the day, there would be a lengthier build. In the case of Hilary's affair with Devon, you might have other complications like other people finding out and electing to keep it to themselves. Maybe Jack, after a meeting at HWG,overhears a spicy conversation Devon is having on the phone and discovers it is with Hilary. Later, Jack sits Hilary down and has a talk with her, urging her to stop sneaking around, reminding her how hurtful this would be to Neil. Recalling his own history with Jill and his father, he realizes he's in no position to judge but predicts certain disaster if this should all be revealed, especially if Neil finds out.  Next, if Malcolm comes to GC for a visit and during a dinner party (maybe thrown in his honor), he picks up something going on between Hilary and Devon and then has his suspicions confirmed, later on when he catches the couple pulling out of an embrace.  Malcolm confronts Devon who admits feelings but claims he and Hilary have never acted on them. Malcolm recalling his debacle in the past with Dru, advises Devon to either be honest with Neil or end the affair with Hilary. Malcolm even threatens to tell Neil himself if Devon doesn't step up. And it would build between Hilary and Devon each vowing to end it, confess, etc. yet fail to do either and ultimately the details of the affair begin to unravel and all is revealed.

I feel like today's soaps are one and done and wash their hands of the story and move on.

• Members

Eh, the things he actually says can be ridiculous enough. No need to make stuff up and feed into the “fake news” narrative, even if the White House Press Corps would never dare treat Bush or Obama the way they treat... the current office-holder.

(It is SO hard despising the guy yet knowing he is pretty much right about the media.)

Meanwhile, I could believe that Joe Biden actually did a double shot of bleach and realized it didn’t work before he put out that idiotic tweet.

We are so screwed...

Edited by katie_9918

• Members

Is Sharon pregnant with Noah?

Is the son that Nina referred to Chase?  If so, why was he called Phillip?  Who is Chase’s father?

What did Phyllis have against Paul and Christine?

Did a real life brother and sister play Billy and Victoria?  Ew