Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Why has Cricket been in every classic episode?

And they could have skipped this Isabella episode it mainly focused on characters no longer on the show (Raul, Brittany, Bobby) or ones no longer on contract (Christine, Paul, Michael)

• Members

I guess it's this episode:
https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/2001/010910.php

I don't see it as a seminal moment in Abott history either.

I read through all the soapcentral recaps for several weeks leading up to this episode, and I just don't see why this episode is that significant. Jack and Phyllis have a heartfelt private conversation. She doesn't want to marry him because she was told she can't have children and she knows he wants children ... and he says it doesn't matter, because he loves her, etc etc etc and she accepts. That's a nice scene, and important to 2001 Phack but ... in the long run it's not that significant for the Abbotts or the show.

I don't see how it ties into the other classic episodes they are airing.

Traci's discussion with John. Steve had raised Colleen but now that Steve and Traci are separated, Traci wants Colleen to get to know Brad for the first time. I gather Ashley is really stressed because Traci and Colleen are currently staying in the Brad/Ashley home.  That whole dynamic seems to be more important to Abbott history but this scene sounds brief in the episode recap.

The Paul/Isabella scenes are kind of creepy.  Are they going to air a set of intermittent Isabella episodes?

The episode ends with Amanda Browning knocking on Katherine's door and Mac answering, so maybe they are going to do more Mac episodes?

Edt to add, a more detailed recap is here:

http://tvmegasite.net/updates/yr/2001/yr090701.htm

The Colleen scenes sound good.

edit to add:

The previous episode (Thurs Sept 6, 2001) seems  more interesting.http://tvmegasite.net/updates/yr/2001/yr090501.htm

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Cricket is not only one of the most popular characters, but she was front burner nonstop until Lauralee decided to quit. They really would struggle trying to find stuff that didn’t feature her. Honestly I’m happy newer viewers get to see her. She was a classic heroine and Lauralee Bell did great work. I still think it’s a shame she went through so much and never had a baby. When she lost her baby a few years ago she showed she’s still a great lead, but they age and boggle her down by keeping her with Paul. I long for them to break her up and put her with Nick to reignite her feud with Phyllis. The chemistry test they did a few years ago was very cute, but they never followed up on that kiss. 

• Members

Sobering to see so many of that weeks recaps saying the show was preempted due to the events of 9/11.

I'm honestly thinking they chose that just because Michelle Stafford is in it.

At this point I'm not understanding their choices anymore. The episode selections are too random. I can understand that initially they were just choosing whatever. But now? They should be either airing full weeks in order or having some narrative thread throughout the week.

So let's say you want to do villains, you do a week of the Baldwin brothers. Let's say two days of Michael finally breaking into Christine's apartment plus the resolution. Then maybe the day that Kevin first visits Michael and reveals they are brothers. Then the last two days are Kevin setting fire to Gina's and the resolution to that.

For the Abbots, you can show Tracy and Ashley's arrival in GC, then Dina's first appearance, then Jabot being taken over by Victor, then Jack getting Jabot back, then John's death.

Obviously they messed up big with the Masquerade. A lot of people were asking did Danny really get shot, what happened? Then weeks later we see a scene where we learn the bullets are fake... we should have seen them all in order.

And to be honest some of these episodes really aren't that strong other than the one shocking moment. There are so many great episodes to choose, even when nothing much is happening but conversations.... like that March 1993 episode where Jill tells John about her pregnancy. That wasn't a big event but it was probably the best episode so far because of the writing. The episodes of Lily pouring water on Hillary, Phyllis putting an octopus in Christine's bed, David dying in a trash compactor... they weren't that great as standalone episodes. They would have been better with context. Otherwise you really only need the clip of the one scene. 

• Members

The Abbott party epi of Sept 10, 2001 where Jack proposes to Phyllis has many other characters doing other things.

This recap has more detail than the soapcentral one:
http://tvmegasite.net/updates/yr/2001/yr090701.htm

It seems like, for these classic epis, they have chosen quite a few episodes that are large gatherings. Weddings, parties, dinners, etc.  Part of the episode might tie into the theme of the week. But most of the episode simply shows lots of characters interacting.

• Members

I agree. She improved a LOT during her time on the show. She was unwatchably bad early on. I kind of think it was great that she doesn’t have a child, but too bad it have served to marginalize her (when it didn’t have to).

• Members

Once she became a prominent character, I think she was in just about every episode.  No joke.  There were times I felt we went weeks without her in an episode.  They had her in her own orbit, and a crossover character with other people’s stories.  Which was kind of rare on this show.  

She was in every major character orbit.  Either by her lawyer career (Victor), her mom (Abbots), Lauren (Scott), Nina and Phillip (Jill, Katherine, David, Ryan/Victoria), Danny (Rex, Gina, and Phylis), and with Paul lots of criminal stuff.  It’s incredible when you think about just how connected she was.  

Even if she didn’t share scenes with someone like Victoria, she was friends with Nina and involved there as a talk to.  It’s even more laughable thinking about it now than it was back then.

• Members

I've always found it interesting that a character whose rise in prominence aligned with the show's rise in the ratings didn't have any fans. Clearly SOME viewers like her but you get online and you'd swear everyone hated her. Soap forums are really an echo chamber sometimes.

• Members

Jeanne Cooper gave some insightful comments about her in one of her final interviews, basically saying, "She's a fine girl, a likeable girl, a competent actress who was put in an impossible position -- playing a major character on her father's show and opening herself up to so many complaints of nepotism."

I just felt we saw way too much of Cricket.   At my house, we used to laugh about it even before the internet came along.  Whenever Cricket WASN'T directly involved in a storyline, we'd try to guess how she might ultimately take-over the storyline.  During the Cassandra Rawlins story, I can remember my sister rolling her eyes and saying, "Well, I guess Cassandra will turn out to be Cricket's older sister."  lol.   

• Members

They really are. But it’s a blessing and a curse, and something that I think is indicative of the tradition in each family of an oral history being told for each long-running soap character, with details being embellished or left out based on which family member was telling. 

How many soap fans swore that JFP and the Dobsons came to near collision at the Daytime Emmys as they each sought to claim the Outstanding Drama Series statue for themselves? And then years later, we finally saw the clip on YouTube only to discover that no such moment existed. 

Never change, internet soap community!